Model 1871 Mauser Cavalry Carbine (pics)

This is my last little gem for this week, at least.

Very few of these escaped caliber conversions, and this one is an original that is not cut down from a full length model. Bolt is not matched, but I'll take it in this configuration anyway. A rare bird, and no import marks.

K.Mod.71 single shot Mauser Cavalry Carbine in 11 X 60mm.

71_K_Mod_001.jpg

71_K_Mod_010.jpg

71_K_Mod_005.jpg

71_K_Mod_006.jpg

71_K_Mod_007.jpg

71_K_Mod_008.jpg

71_K_Mod_015.jpg

71_K_Mod_016.jpg

71_K_Mod_013.jpg

71_K_Mod_014.jpg

71_K_Mod_011.jpg

71_K_Mod_004.jpg

Check out the size of the throat on that sucker! Built in 1886. Put in service in 1877.

This is a short Cavalry version Mauser that was initially commissioned for Frederick Wilhelm (FW) of Prussia at the factory of Österreichische Waffenfabriksgesellschaft, or what is now Steyr. The unit numbers (3.G.U.2.136) the 3d (Prussian) Garde-Ulan (Regiment), 2d squadron, weapon number 136 in squadron. Ulan (sometimes Uhlan) = lancer. Regiment raised 1860.

The receiver and bolt were initially in the white. The barrel and other metal were originally blued, but age, wear and patina have taken all but what little remains under the stock line.

The 11X60 black powder cartridge only traveled at about 850fps, so it had to be BIG to be effective in a single shot offering. One of my coolest, for sure. Thanks for looking!

"Built in 1886, put in service in 1877"

Don't you mean the other way around?[wink]

ED. Actually looks like 1876/1877.

I like it. I still hope for a '71/'84 long rifle to add to the German Family.

MS

Last edited:
"Built in 1886, put in service in 1877"

Don't you mean the other way around?[wink]

ED. Actually looks like 1876/1877.

I like it. I still hope for a '71/'84 long rifle to add to the German Family.

MS

Tomesimes my fung gets all tucked up and I twype trings whrong. Yup, it's 1876/1877.

And yes, Ray. The sling will be a little difficult! My research leads me to believe that it was actually accompanied by a saddle bucket and a sash that would prevent it from becoming separated from the horse/man combo, but mostly the man.

DocAV of Gunboards explains it a lot better than I:

The division "With Ring" ( cavalry) and "sling svivels" ( Musketoon ) predates the Bolt action by almost a couple of centuries.
The single saddle ring was used to suspend the carbine fronm a Sash type sling around the body ( over the shoulder) of the Horseman ( Hussar, Currasier, etc0 the carbine usually sat in a saddle bucket, and could be swung up one-handed to fire at close range. The Prussian M51 Cavalry carbine ( single shot percussion) was an example of this short carbine ( almost an enlarged Horse Pistol ( very short barrel, about 14 inches).
The use of the shoulder sash belt continued into the early 1900s ( look at the saddle ring on M91,M94, M95 etc Carbines.

The same "Carbines" when fitted with underneath normal sling swivels,
were of other troops such as Artillery, etc.

If a Ring was used instead of a normal Front band swivel loop ( such as the French Berthier Carbines) this was to allow "double" service...both as a mounted arm and as a "non-cavalry arm"...the sling could adust better to the cross- shoulder slung position, but could also be used in the normal (Infantry) method.

Some true cavalry carbines had NO provision for sling loops, just the "saddle ring", either underneath or on the side of the butt. (Spanish M95)

The term "saddle ring" has grown out of American Usage ( Winchester in particular, for short lever actions with saddle ring, which was primarily for a Leather Thong to connect the carbine to the Saddle, rather than the military-style Carbine Sash, as used for Sharps and Springfield carbines, which used a Bucket, but were connected to the Rider, not the saddle.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

Very nice and very hard to get at a reasonable cost over here.
Some day I'm going to get a K.71 and a Jaegerbuechse 71, to live next to my Gew. 71 and 71/84.

@USMA-82
I think I know this one[smile]

Thanks gentlemen,

Yes, this one is in great shape mechanically. The stiff bolt action was just a matter of disassembling and cleaning. And the "black" bore was just crud. Just a few passes with a brush and patches revealed a bright shine, excellent rifling and no pitting.

If I ever get my reloading station set up with proper dies, and can find 11x60 cases, I may just make up a few for the smoke show. With the superb machining and tolerances that went into manufacturing this piece, I can't see why it wouldn't be a shooter in another 135 years with proper care.

Question: Would anyone dare to hazard a guess on value for one of these? I can find no record of comp sales at all.

Back
Top Bottom