Mod Zero: Zero your Picatinny Rail - Unlock your Optics

Hello NES,

As a NES member for the past 6 years, who's early interest was fostered by the many threads and members of this site, I am excited to finally publicly share my project: making scopes modular between rifles.

This began 2 years ago when I was considering purchasing my first $1K scope, an ACOG. Although I could afford the scope, I could not justify purchasing it if it I could not easily use it on all of my scopes. Although I could use QD mounts to quickly swap the scope, I would have to rezero it each time- a pain I had no interest in. I already owned duplicate red dots, I wasn't going to purchase duplicate ACOGs.

This was when I realized the core problem: rather than storing the proprietary zero of a rifle in the scope, it should be stored in the rifle. Therefore, each scope and each rifle could be set to a common zero once and swapped freely afterwards.

Mod Zero's patent pending scope mount is the first windage and elevation adjustable scope mount. After several iterations, the following renderings represent the final design coming soon.
M0_Mount_V3_Preproduction_Assembly_2017-Mar-19_07-20 ortho back left.jpg
ortho turn table .jpg
We are about 2 weeks out from receiving the final versions of our products as seen above, but the parts are looking great thus far:
IMG_20170428_095910.jpg IMG_20170428_095633.jpg

Below are some images of our alpha prototypes:
IMG_20161116_215523870 (1).jpg IMG_20161120_130442118 (1).jpg
DSCF7391.jpg image003 (1).jpg

We are about a month away from the full launch of our product on Indiegogo. Why Indiegogo? It's simply the safest and simplest way to organize a preorder with our earliest customers and supporters. They also are the only mainstream crowdfunding site that will take our project.

For more information, check out our website:
https://www.modzerodefense.com/
Subscribe to email updates and exclusive early deals:
http://bit.ly/2rH3Ujw
or follow us on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/modzerodefense/

Please feel free to ask questions below or email me directly at [email protected]. Expect more information as we approach launch.

-Luke

Attachments

• Features and Specs.png
    Features and Specs.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20161120_153335570.jpg
    IMG_20161120_153335570.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 30
Congratulations, and best of luck.

How does the fact that there's a small amount of play between an optic and the pic rail (within the same slot) before you tighten it down factor in? Is it small enough, and only front-to-back so it doesn't impact the POI?

Congratulations, and best of luck.

How does the fact that there's a small amount of play between an optic and the pic rail (within the same slot) before you tighten it down factor in? Is it small enough, and only front-to-back so it doesn't impact the POI?

Thank you!

If by this you are referring to the return to zero, this primarily is dependent on the scope mount used. We have not done much testing between brands, but from my understanding, modern mounts have less than a 1 MOA shift between mounting. In quick searching I can't find a thread on AR15.com that had deeper analysis. We recently started using Kinetic Dev Group Mounts and haven't seen any noticeable return to zero issues since they tighten under recoil.

We have found that using our product on several rifles removes the need to tighten/loosen mounts when moving scopes between rifles. It seems most manufacturers hover towards their own corners of the Pic Rail tolerance spec, causing quite a variety between rifle models. Since our rails are consistent to one another, we don't have to adjust mounts at all when swapping.

Good concept for sure.
Only issue I see is the height.
How movement can I expect to get out of your adjustments.
Just a thought though, what happens when you mount your optic and the mount can't go low enough.
I think this would great for red dots and zero and forget type of optics.
Looks nice and I hope it works as well as intended.

So I should buy a different mount for each type of bullet I'm using too, right? And then I swap out the mounts? Or should I just dial a correction?

Back
Top Bottom