Minimum Bow strength

Is there a rule here? I currently use a 65# bow, but my son (14) is getting into it and I'd like to get him something he can both hunt and practice with. I did pick up the PSE at 40# that 1776 has for sale, but was wondering if that was enough.

Basically, what is the opinion on the minimum needed to make a clean harvest and is there a reg that stipulates one?

From the 2009 abstracts...

Archery -Poisoned arrows, or explosive tips, or bows drawn by mechanical means, are prohibited except for crossbows as permitted. Mechanical releases permitted. Arrows used on deer,bear or turkey must have well-sharpened steel broadhead blades not less than 7/8" in width. Expanding broadheads are legal. Recurve or long bows for deer, bear or turkey hunting must have at least 40 lbs. pull at 28" or at peak draw weight for compound bows. No arrows may be released within 50 feet of, or across, any state or hard-surfaced highway and hunting is prohibited within 500 feet of any dwelling or building in use, unless authorized by owner or occupant thereof.

40# is enough to kill anything around here.

Last edited:
I shot a 45# Martin Cougar Magnum for years (won a MFAA championship with it a number of years ago!), and can attest to it's killing power. At 50% let off, I could hold 20 pounds at full draw for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom