Mineral licks and mineral gels?

I am starting to scout a new area to hunt for this year. I was there last weekend and there was alot of deer sign. It got me pretty excited actually to know there is that much activity there.
Anyways, I was at the store looking into getting a salt/mineral lick block and saw they have this mineral gel there that you pour over the block or a rotting log for the deer to eat at. The reveiws Ive seen for the stuff on some websites seems to all say that the stuff works well.
So Ive been looking in catologs and online and the only thing I can find are gels that are apple or acorn flavored. In the woods ill be hunting in there is no apple trees around or oak trees. THe place is loaded with beechnut trees and chestnut trees though.

So my question is that should I even bother with the gel or stick with the salt lick.
I just dont want to spook deer away with a scent of apples or acorns that they ar not use to in that area...

Thanks
-Jesse

For salt licks, I have used 25 lbs of salt, 25 lbs of dicalcium phosphate and 50lbs of trace mineral.

You can get 50lbs bags at any feed store. it is cheaper than the other stuff and works just as good.

Back
Top Bottom