Milsurp shooting today

SKS Ray

NES Member
Well today was a beautiful day. Temps in the high 60s, breezy, but plenty nice to shoot some rifles I picked up over the cold months. Today's range trip consisted of an 1891 Argentine Mauser, a 91/30 ex Dragoon Mosin Nagant, and a Type 53 Mosin Nagant. The Argentine and Type 53 had pretty rough bores even after some intense soaking and scrubbing so I hoped these would clean up nicely after firing a few rounds through them.

62b81aeb.jpg

I shot at 50 yards since I wanted to see what accuracy would be like with the stiff breezes we had down here in S.E. Mass. First was the 91/30 which shot a little low but nice and tight like a Mosin should. Second was the Argentine Mauser which shot nice and tight and had a great trigger. The diference between the boom of the 91/30 Mosin compared to the crack of the Argentine Mauser was definitely noticeable and each had their own style when firing. Then came the Type 53 Chinese Shotgun, errrrr. I mean Mosin Carbine.
This thing was horrible printing about 8 inches apart at 50 yards. Nice fireball and all like a Mosin Carbine is known for, but man what a sloppy rifle.
Real surprise came when it was time to clean up. I bring a small funnel with tubing attached and a bottle of glass cleaner to get rid of corrosive salts while still at the range. A quick swab of the Argentine Mauser bore and I was amazed at the smooth grooves with just a hint of frosting near the rifling. This one cleaned up beautifully from a crusty, frosted mess to a nice clean bore. The Chinese Mosin on the other hand was a diferent story. [sad2]

5bbef8e3.jpg

Talk about sewer pipe. [puke2]

I've always heard you can really tell how a rifle will turn out after shooting a few rounds through the bore. I'd say it worked great for the Argentine Mauser but revealed horror for the Type 53. Oh well, at least it only cost me $75. and the $150 Argentine made up for it. [grin]

It was a beautiful day, which is why I bugged out an hour early from work. However, I didn't have a chance to go shooting. Maybe tomorrow, as I should be picking up a Russian SKS and ammo in the morning.

You mentioned your funnel and tubing arrangement before and I think promised pictures. I'd really like to see the set up as I'll be shooting corrosive ammo in the Mosin and the SKS at the least.

Gary

Yup, a great day for shooting. Looks like ya had fun anyway.
I'll take the 53 off your hands for what ya paid for it. You'll have spending $$ for Marlborough[wink]

JonJ said:
Yup, a great day for shooting. Looks like ya had fun anyway.
I'll take the 53 off your hands for what ya paid for it. You'll have spending $$ for Marlborough[wink]

I'm already up to my 4 sales and its only April.

Garys said:
You mentioned your funnel and tubing arrangement before and I think promised pictures. I'd really like to see the set up as I'll be shooting corrosive ammo in the Mosin and the SKS at the least.

Gary

I wouldn't recomend corrosive ammo in an SKS. Just for the simple fact that its a PITA to strip it down and flush out the gas system with window cleaner every time you shoot it, and with corrosive ammo you'd have to just so to avoid any rust. You should be able to pick up some 7.62x39 Wolf or Golden Tiger at Marlboro, even if only half a dozen boxes, for a decent price.
Unless you don't mind constant and thorough clean up of the SKS after shooting, but myself I think even at $5 a box for Golden Tiger its worth it just to stay clear of corrosive salts and a gas tube. I say save any corrosive ammo for something like a Romanian AK47 thats easy to strip and flush.[wink]

As for the funnel clean up method, I'm going to do it in a seperate thread in case any moderators want to move it.

I'm going to be getting a box of ammo, actually a military ammo box, with the SKS, so I'll probably shoot it until it's gone. Maybe I'll shoot it all in a day. <G>

Thanks for the hints and the other post on the funnel set up.

Gary

I put a little moly in my gas systems on my semi-auto's on the piston and tube it fights corrosion too besides the receiver/bolt carrier/bolt, trigger sear, recoil spring and op rod too. Its one lube that does it all. It also works great in pistols and revolvers too besides bolt actions too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom