MilSurp of the Month; June '13 - Revolvers!

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rules:

1. Revolvers only this month
2. Must meet the criteria of a C&R (1963 or earlier) or MilSurp or reproduction thereof
3. No acquisition time limit but a limit of three guns per person
4. Up to three pictures per entry with brief information; cost, significance, etc.
5. If multiple entries, please put in title (go advanced) "Entry #2", etc.
6. Entries close Thursday June 27; voting ends June 30
7. Chit chat/comments/reps allowed - this is supposed to be fun - we all like to show off

Have at it!

#1. majspud: M1851 Colt Civilian .44 cap and ball revolver
#2. 45collecter: 1958 Colt Police in .38 special: 1/1/3 (7)
#3. marcus99: 1900 M1892 Colt New Army in .38LC
#4. JuergenG: 1918 Austrian Rast & Gasser M.98 in 8mm Gasser: 3/1/2 (6)
#5. bbarer: 1939 M1895 Tula Nagant
#6. ninermaine#1: 1929 Colt Police; Maine State Police marked
#7. ninermaine#2: 1918 Webley Mk. VI; Australian service marked: 1/2/2 (7)
#8. SKS Ray: 1937 Tula M1895 Nagant
#9. USMA-82: 1934 Spanish Bulldog in .32acp: 3/3/1/1 (8)
#10. TFLeader: M1917 Colt in .45cap
#11. bbarer: S/W M1917 in .45 acp: 2/2/2/3 (7)
#12 Pilgrim: Navy Arms 1875 Schofield: 3/ (1)

Last edited:
My only entry this month. I was a Civil War re-enactor for nearly 20 years, all but three as an officer. I didn't really want to be an officer, but I took the job to make the weekends better for others - I'm that kind of person. By this I mean through organizational and coordination efforts behind the scenes during the events, leadership on the field, and to be blunt, having some in charge who knew what they were doing. I played both sides, co-founded my own unit in '96 (15th MA/4th AL). I resigned my Captaincy in '03 (but stayed on as a private when there was no need for me as staff but as a rifle instead) to move to Confederate Regimental Staff to help with the big picture as Major and commander of the left wing of the regiment. Retired as a Brevet Lt. Colonel after discectomy and rotator cuff surgeries when I realized I couldn't take the field properly anymore or sleep on the ground in a canvas tent.

This was my last pistol I carried, a FLLI. Pietta reproduction of a M1851 Colt Civilian in .44cal, purchased when I made Major in '03 - I was looking for a piece that an officer might have brought to the field from home. I rolled my own blank cartridges with cigarette paper, 30gr. 3X black powder, and 15gr. cream of wheat as an inert plug at the end to avoid chain fires. Got a lot of funny looks going into convenience stores asking for zig-zag papers. The cartridge boxes are two match boxes glued together and covered with self made logos modeled after original examples. Got it from Cabellas for about $250. Might shoot it again someday; for now it resides in my curio cabinet with other mementos of my CW career.

MS

Last edited:
This is one of my most dear-to-me guns. It's a Colt Official Police 6-shot .38 spl made in 1958. It's one of the several guns my father FA10'd to me before he went to live at the soldier's home a few years ago. He carried this gun as a part time police officer on Cape Cod in the 1960's. This was the gun that was on his hip when he pulled my mother over for speeding. He had met her at a party a few weeks earlier, and when he recognized her Thunderbird going slightly over the speed limit on 6A this one day, he pulled her over to ask her out. [laugh] This is the story that he told me anyhow. If you ask my mother, she'll say she was going no where near over the speed limit. [rofl]

It locks up tight, has beautiful DA and SA pulls, and shoots like a dream.

IMG_1620.jpg

Last edited:
1892 Colt New Army & Navy M1901 in .38LC from the Spanish-American/Philippine War

2013042818192093.jpg

I wanted one of these for a long time, and finally found the right one this past winter. It was made in 1900, probably to M1896 specs, and then upgraded to M1901 specs. Could very well have been in the Philippines. Bluing is 60% or so, all original with R.A.C inspector stamps all over. The S/N in pencil is still clearly legible on the inside of each grip too.

Mine was missing the lanyard ring when I bought it, which are incredibly rare and hard to find (unique design not shared with the M1909/M1917/S&W Victory). I got extremely lucky in getting mine. The lockup was a little loose, so I had a new hand+spring fitted and it's now very tight, as well as the hammer pin replaced which had partially broken off. I've put 300rds through it and she's very accurate out to 25yds (the cylinder in the above picture is dirty from shooting).

Last edited:
This is one of my most dear-to-me guns. It's a Colt Official Police 6-shot .38 spl made in 1958. It's one of the several guns my father FA10'd to me before he went to live at the soldier's home a few years ago. He carried this gun as a part time police officer on Cape Cod in the 1960's. This was the gun that was on his hip when he pulled my mother over for speeding. He had met her at a party a few weeks earlier, and when he recognized her Thunderbird going slightly over the speed limit on 6A this one day, he pulled her over to ask her out. [laugh] This is the story that he told me anyhow. If you ask my mother, she'll say she was going no where near over the speed limit. [rofl]

It locks up tight, has beautiful DA and SA pulls, and shoots like a dream.

IMG_1620.jpg

This has WIN all over it.

I know this is pretty lame but it is my only Milsurp revolver..1895 Nagant (I am on the hunt for a 1917 so if anyone knows of one...)
1939 Tula...

Last edited:
Entry #1

This is a Colt Official Police as well. It was made in 1929. It has a lot of holster wear but the gun functions perfectly. The wear on the gun does not bother me on this pistol as the backstrap is marked for the ME State Police. The wear is simple proof that this duty gun served for many years on the side of the state trooper up here in Maine. I have had this pistol a while but have pretty much sold it, we are still negotiating, but expect us to be able to reach an agreement. The gentleman interested in the pistol collects State Trooper pistols so these seems like the perfect home for it. Thanks for looking.
View attachment 69078View attachment 69079View attachment 69080

Entry No. 2

Webley Mk. VI made in 1918. This gun has no British export marks or import marks of any kind. It is stamped with the British acceptance marks from when it was first made but then is also stamped with the early Australian acceptance stamps from WWI and the later WWII era Australian acceptance stamps. It is safe to say that this pistol saw service in both wars. The cylinder is however shaved.

View attachment 69083View attachment 69084View attachment 69085

Last edited:
Here's a revolver I purchased from GB only because I'd never seen anything like it. How often do you see a revolver that looks like a semi-auto, that fires a 7.65mm (.32ACP) round, and has a safety?

For want of a better description, it may be called a "Spanish Bulldog Revolver."

Even research in the best book for obscure handguns ("The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Handguns," by A.B. Zhuk - 1995) couldn't come up with an exact match. Here's what we know:

The gun was manufacture in Eibar, Spain by Francisco Arizmendi (FA) and distributed by the German firm Gustav Genschow & Companie (Geco). The date stamp is partially worn away, but it appears to be a 1934 manufacture.

The cylinder holds five .32 ACP rounds, and empties must be pushed out by lowering the nagant-style loading gate, pulling out the pin that runs through the center of the cylinder, canting it to one side, and pushing through the cylinder.

The sights are practically non-existent, making this a classic "Belly Gun" meant for up close and personal shooting.

It's weird - but I love it!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Here's a revolver I purchased from GB only because I'd never seen anything like it. How often do you see a revolver that looks like a semi-auto, that fires a 7.65mm (.32ACP) round, and has a safety?

It's weird - but I love it!

Enjoy!

So far this has my vote. It is weird, it is pre-45, it is pre-45 and I have never seen one. It fits all the points of a gun I like to buy. I love it. Now I will be looking for one.

Colt 1917 .45 ACP "United States Property" marked w/proofs with USGI ammo and moon clips. Manufactured 1920.

View attachment 70468

Next 'large' pistol on my list. I was looking on eBay for the half moon clips. I also saw full moon clips that go through the cylinder pin...do they work as well? Would seem easier.

Get's my vote.

MS

Ok I am going for the win (jeez I didn't check the rules hope I can enter twice) Look what the man in the brown shorts left on my doorstep yesterday!!

All matching S&W 1917 born Jan 1919 so it just missed the big one. It looks like it went to war but the bore is pristine like it never had a round through it. Action is tight and other than some holster wear on the cylinder and a few dings it is in fine shape for a 94 year old!!
Holster is marked G&K 1918 A.C., Ammo pouch is marked Gregory and Read 1917 and the belt is ___& Co. May 1918. Half moons are WWI vintage Ammo is new...

Per rules you get 3 entries.

This is my dilemma; a M17 Colt versus a M17 S/W. Since I've had two S/W M19's in .357, I may need another. I already have a M1911 Colt, and I've heard that the general thought is that the S/W M17 was a little better made.

MS

The action on the S&W is far superior to the Colt no argument here. The Colts are still fine firearms but tend to be a bit bulkier than the S&W and don't feel as balanced in the hand. Its still a crapshoot as the Colt tends to have a much better lockup with no play where the S&W's seem to be standard with a little "wiggle" in the cylinder. Personally I own more than a few S&W revolvers and like you have a couple of Model 19's which I think is perhaps the best revolver ever produced...Then again if a Colt comes across my path for the right price....[kiss]

Is it me or is the S&W missing the lanyard swivel?

Ok I am going for the win (jeez I didn't check the rules hope I can enter twice) Look what the man in the brown shorts left on my doorstep yesterday!!

All matching S&W 1917 born Jan 1919 so it just missed the big one. It looks like it went to war but the bore is pristine like it never had a round through it. Action is tight and other than some holster wear on the cylinder and a few dings it is in fine shape for a 94 year old!!
Holster is marked G&K 1918 A.C., Ammo pouch is marked Gregory and Read 1917 and the belt is ___& Co. May 1918. Half moons are WWI vintage Ammo is new...

Two days left to submit; voting starts midnight on the 27th. We have 12 entries; less than 1/2 of the 28 last month for pistols.

When voting, cut/paste the template below and post direct or PM me:

First Place: Entry # (from master list in post #1)
Second Place: Entry # (from master list in post #1)
Third Place: Entry # (from master list in post #1)

A first place vote is worth 3 points, second = 2, and third = 1.

MS

Last edited:
First Place: 45collecter: 1958 Colt Police in .38 special (The story alone gets my vote but I am also a sucker for old colt D/A's)
Second Place: 1918 Webley Mk. VI; Australian service marked (One of my favorites and on my bucket list)
Third Place: JuergenG: 1918 Austrian Rast & Gasser M.98 in 8mm Gasser (A work of art in my opinion)

Back
Top Bottom