• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MilSurp of the Month for January: The Mosin-Nagant - VOTING OPEN

M91/30, Izhevsk 1942, round receiver. Probably the most common Mosin of them all.

mosin.jpg

Entry limit modification: The Fred Rule:

2. Unlimited entries as long as they are different.

More choices to vote for! We're up to 16 not including Fred's 6.

T.

Are you sure you want that? [laugh]

I'm sure that I could fill a small museum, but I'll stick to the three entries. You can count my Ex-Cossack from reply #34.

Here are my two

DPP_0012.jpg

left is an M44 Dated 1944 from izhmash, counter bored, mostly all #'s matching, stock has been refinished and the rusty butt plate reblued

right is a 91/30 dated 1943 also from izhmash, all numbers matching, not counter bored, this one has also had the stock refinished and butt plate reblued as well. This one has a few repairs on the stock as well. I've also gotten rid of that stupid recoil pad.

Last edited:
Five days of silence; have we peaked?

T.

I have a Tula M44 and a Serbian Scrubbed M91 I was going to add. I just have not had the time when the sun is out to take pics. I will try tomorrow. I had other interesting Mosins but sold most of those to Martin to pay for other things. :)

My favorite Mosin Nagant - a Sako M39. All matching serials, 1943 barrel on a 1915 receiver. Impressively accurate with Czech light ball.

pix115341127.jpg

pix197121061.jpg

pix259440687.jpg

pix271350355.jpg

My Hex Tula 91/30 didn't get much range time after I got her.

None of mine are in the same league as the ones posted here. They are all $100 beaters, but they look impressive as a group.

There's a few Russian cousins in there as well.

Edit: The Type 53 with the shell carrier on the buttstock now belongs to Dessert1st. I hope he is enjoying it. And the dark T53 next to it was my son's choice for his 18th birthday.

Last edited:
Whoa! Each entry needs to be itemized. Type/maker/receiver date, etc.

T.

Ha, sorry. I wasn't really trying to enter. Like I said, none of them are rare or interesting.

If I had to pick one, purely as an oddity, it would be this one:

On the top of the receiver, this is stamped as a 1943 Tula. This is weird because they didn't make hex receivers in 1943.

When you look underneath the tang, it is stamped 1931 Ishevsk. Making this my oldest rifle.

My favorite Mosin Nagant - a Sako M39. All matching serials, 1943 barrel on a 1915 receiver. Impressively accurate with Czech light ball.

My Hex Tula 91/30 didn't get much range time after I got her.

Date on the Tula?

T.

The Tula was a 1936 (barrel, I forget the receiver tang date). I spent hours cleaning all the cosmo off that thing!

Please vote for your favorite three choices - in for forum if you don't mind your opinions critiqued, or PM me. PLEASE use the form below. Your choices of entries should be off the master list in post one, not an response number. First place vote =3 points, second = 2 points, third = 1 point. We'll close votes next weekend to give you time to decide.

First place: entry #

Second place: entry #

Third place: entry #

T.

My vote:

First place: entry #12. martin08#2: Polish M91/98/25 Polish 8mm conversion

Second place: entry #3. Martin08: As issued, original 1898 Tula M91

Third place: entry #2. majspud: Finn capture M91 1915 New England Westinghouse, still in original Finn condition

T.

Here's my vote:

First Place: Entry #12
Second Place: Entry #25
Third Place: Entry #3

Awesome rifles, everybody. If I didn't vote for you, it's because I don't know what I am talking about. [smile]

First place: entry #3. Martin08: As issued, original 1898 Tula M91

Second place: entry #32. 50 BMG#5: SA Remington with walnut stock and all matching numbers

Third place: entry #2. majspud: Finn capture M91 1915 New England Westinghouse, still in original Finn condition

My entries aside, I'll vote for:

1st place, Rarity - 31. 50 BMG#4: P-26 relined barrel all matching SA (only 10,000 made)

2nd place, Value - 32. 50 BMG#5: SA Remington with walnut stock and all matching numbers (these bring BIG bucks)

3rd place, Wish List - 1. MJ1: 1944 Unissued Russian M91/30; sent to Yugoslavia post WW2 (still searching for one in full sniper mode!)

VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE

T.

Back