• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MilSurp of the Month for January: The Mosin-Nagant - VOTING OPEN

I feel your pain; I crawled to school all last week with laryngitis.

T.

We'll extend a week or two - we didn't start until 11 January.

Last edited:
1944 Izhevsk M44 with mystery Hex Mark
$160 "Hand Select"
P1430504.jpg M44 Hex Marking.JPG

1938 Izhevsk M91/30 with DDR /1\ Mark
$109 "Hand Select"
M91_30 Iz 1938 DDR.jpg DDR Mark.JPG

Both non-counterbored with matching numbers on Receiver, Bolt, and Buttplate.

Last edited:
Anyone have a, ex-Dragoon or a Cossack to share?

T.

Ex-Dragoons are plentiful. Basically, any M91/30 that is dated 1930 or earlier will be an Ex-Dragoon. Shipwreck has already posted one for the 11th contest entry.

A Cossack Model of 1891 Three Line Rifle is one in a million (or more), and only a handful of ardent Russian/Soviet collectors will ever be able to boast of having one. If I recall, the survey on Gunboards lists less than twenty of them documented and verified.

Though initially (approx 1500-1700a.d.) the Cossacks (people) were an autonomous entity of loosely tied clans who militarily sided with Russian Imperialists to consolidate the eastern, southern and western-most regions of the country of Russia, they were basically stomped by the Russian government after the conquests. Afterward, they were still used as a volunteer styled military class, who provided their own regimental needs, and were predominantly cavalry legions.

From the 18th century and forward, the Russians did provide them small arms when they were needed for military action. And the Mosin Nagant M1891 "Cossack" was built from approximately 1893 through 1921 to supply the horsemen. The M91 Cossack is essentially the same gun (identical components and dimensions) as the Dragoon with two very small differences:

1. The Dragoon was sighted with the bayonet attached. The Cossack was not issued with a bayonet
2. The Cossack has a KA3. stamp on the barrel. The Dragoon does not.

Reasons for so few M91 Cossack guns remaining today include:

1. Fewer were produced
2. High attrition
3. The issuance to individuals vs. conscripts. Many firearms remained with the horsemen after hostilities ceased.

Though I can't present an original Cossack M91, I can present an Ex-Cossack. It is an Izhevsk Arsenal gun from 1920, which was subsequently converted to M91/30 specifications (flat rear sight leaf, globe/post front sight).

ka3M91-30_006.jpg

ka3M91-30_010.jpg

And as a complete aside, this one came to me with a somewhat rare accessory - a Naval sling. Kind of nice.

ka3M91-30_007.jpg

ka3M91-30_004.jpg

I shouldn't diminish the rarity of the Ex-Cossack to the original configuration Cossack, either. Both are rare sights to behold. Mine is one of only 5 that are documented from 1920 manufacture. And the last one that sold at public auction in 2011 brought over $2,000.

Hope this was informative!

a few that I had posted earlier

Still in bed sick as a dog, tough getting old,

#1 1941 VKT Polustuslat
#2 1937 41 Marked 91/30 SA all matching with unknown marking above crest
#3 1946 all matching Russian M44 issues and rebuilt by Yugoslavia, marking on receiver and stock
#4 P-26 relined barrel all matching SA
#5 SA Remington with walnut stock and all matching numbers
#6 Romanian M44 all matching

Attachments

• FinnMosin.4.jpg
    FinnMosin.4.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 13
  • Yugo1946.jpg
    Yugo1946.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 13
  • P-26.jpg
    P-26.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 12
  • remington.jpg
    remington.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 18
  • romy4354667543.jpg
    romy4354667543.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0011.jpg
    DSCN0011.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
a few more

A couple more, I will try and take some of my Finland Target rifle and a few of the M28.27 etc.

The last pic is .....well we cant just look at firearms all the time.
#1 1917 Westinghouse SA marked and DEPOT CUST original stock and matching numbers
#2 1915 91 with all matching numbers and Czars crest intact
#3 1895 SA marked 91 with matching numbers and correct stock ad original sling

Attachments

• DSCN0015.jpg
    DSCN0015.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN0019.jpg
    DSCN0019.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Peterthe great crest.jpg
    Peterthe great crest.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 15
  • photo(43).JPG
    photo(43).JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
You must no be in TOO rough a shape since you can still post some pleasant eye candy.[smile] Winter or summer, It's no fun getting sick.

Greg

OK, here's mine. This was through the group buy at B & K this past fall. !943 Izhevsk 91/30. It's the only Mosin-Nagant I have.
Spam can was purchased from another member on the forum. I plan on getting a M44 at some point but other things have to come first.

Attachments

• pluto approved.jpg
    pluto approved.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 22
  • right side.JPG
    right side.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 18
  • left side.JPG
    left side.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 17
  • receiver stamps.jpg
    receiver stamps.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 23
  • with spam can of ammo.jpg
    with spam can of ammo.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
OK, here's mine. This was through the group buy at B & K this past fall. !943 Izhevsk 91/30. It's the only Mosin-Nagant I have.
Spam can was purchased from another member on the forum. I plan on getting a M44 at some point but other things have to come first.

Looks like you got a "Red Letter" Mosin with the red on the Sight Leaf and the barrel factory s/n. Is that a triangle mark with a 25 in it above the s/n? I'm assuming the smeared red over the s/n was how it came.

My DDR marked 1938 has some off-white coloring in the s/n. Does anyone know the significance of the coloring on s/n and sight leafs? I'm wondering in my case if the colorfill should be preserved and not washed away by the de-cosmo cleaning process....

Yes, the stamp is barely there but you can make out the 25 with a magnifier. The red is how it came. I don't want to change a thing with it.

Greg

Deerdad, what rifle case is this?

Martson, the case is a Flambeau Outdoors case from tractor supply. It's just the right size for the rifle and if I remember right, I think I paid around 20 for it.
It's just a cheapie but it's only used to transport in a vehicle.
Hardwired, here's a pic of the triangle 25. Also, the rear site has the Tula stamp
tri25.jpg 004.jpg

Greg

Same thing for German Mausers. Codes and markings were never colored. I usually just whiten the date and manufacturer to help see it better; d*** bifocals.

T.

Entry limit modification: The Fred Rule:

2. Unlimited entries as long as they are different.

More choices to vote for! We're up to 16 not including Fred's 6.

T.

FIRST ONE THAT I FOUND WAS A IZZY ROUND DATED 1940/49/50 WHILE DOING PAPERWORK WAS LOOKING SOME MORE AT SAME SHOP AND FOUND TULA HEX DATED 1930/49/53 WHAT A SCORE FOR ONE DAY mosin triple 3.jpg mosin triple.jpg mosin triple 1.jpg mosin triple 2.jpg mosin triple 5.jpg mosin triple 4.jpg

Anyone have a, ex-Dragoon or a Cossack to share?

T.

Yes mine is technically an ex-dragoon, looks like I have the gap where they put the new rear sight base on. If I remember, I'll try and snag a couple more pics this weekend.

This is a Finnish Model 1939 "Ukko Pekka". Its a 1942 VKT (Valtion Kivääritehdas- Government Rifle Factory) built on a 1895 Tula receiver. "D" Barrel. Being a 1942 I like to think it's a Continuation War veteran, but I'll never know for sure. The receiver is covered with many old imperial proof and inspection marks, most of which I've never been able to identify. I know quite a few of you guys own at least one, but I enjoy the history of these rifles, so I'll drone on.

To the best of my knowledge the faint “AZ” mark on top of receiver is a soft-struck or ground-off “AZF” or “Artillerie Zeugs Fabrik” which is an Austrian arsenal mark. The Austrians captured large quantities of model M1891's in the bloody Carpathian Campaigns (in what is now southern Poland) during WW1. This receiver was likely captured by the Austrians, then later sold or otherwise gifted to Finland.

The Finnish army decided that the M1891 rifles were not to the specifications required by the army so they built the M39 upon the M1891 receivers with new barrels, sights, and stocks. From what I've read all M39’s had to shoot a three shot group of 1.5" or less at 100 meters at the armory, or they were not released into service. Someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Finns built 108,000 rifles with some being produced all the way into the 1970's. Awesome rifles.
HPIM1551.jpg 017.jpg 026.jpg 019.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom