MilSurp of the Holidays; November/December '13 - VOTING OPEN

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
The idea came to me in reading another post. How about we take a trip down amnesia lane and post your first ever love, er, MilSurp.

Rules:

1. Any MilSurp/C&R.
2. Limit of one entry per person.
3. Up to four pictures per entry with brief information; cost, significance, etc.
4. Entries close New Year's Eve
6. Chit chat/comments/reps allowed - this is supposed to be fun - we all like to show off

Entry#

1. majspud: (1995) DOT44 (Feb. '45) K98k

2. Dakar652: 1937 Swiss K31

3. Rotaryrocket: 1944 long branch Enfield no4 mkI

4. dhuse: 1918 M1911, modified
2+ =2

5. Maninblue1861: SA 2.06 10/43 M1 Garand

6. magoo: Chinese SKS

7. mac1911: Russian SKS 1953

8. Martin08: Yugo SKS

9. 30Mauser: Mauser C96 "Broom handle" - family bring back
1+2+1+1+ =11

10. ranger4-7: Blue Sky import M1 Garand
1+ = 3

11. Gilham: CMP Service Grade HRA, 5.5mil
3+ = 1

12. trippingpara: No. 1 Mk. III Enfield
3+2+ =3

13. TFLeader: 1943 Oneida M1942 bayonet
3+1 = 4

14. Picton: Webley Mk IV .38
2+2+3 = 5

15. ToddDudya: Chinese SKS

16. ColdDayInHell: 1976 m59/66 SKS

17. Bun-San, the Mini-Lop rabbit. Well not so mini; he's about 10 pounds.
3+ =1

Last edited:
1995. I had been a CW re-enactor for three years and had a repro M61 Springfield. I also had a 1976 S/W M19-3 .357, as I had carried a S/W 686 as a Federal officer. My friend asked me if I wanted to buy his K98 as he needed the cash; $100 and I had my first true MilSurp. DOT44, serial number dates to February '45. Bolt MM, East German post-war re-work with stamped matching and EP matching parts with a keel cut out mounted swivel and welded low swivels and removed side bar on the lower band. In 2008 when I got serious about MilSurps, I swapped out the trigger and sear with a correct late war one as someone had filed down the sear to single action. I also replaced the rear band with an e/135 late war piece, added an original late war cleaning rod, an original sight hood, late war round capture screws, and a repro sling for $150. I still have it and even though it's a mutt, I'll have it forever. The cof '44 o-block bayonet I added in '09 for another $100. Funny how the bayonet cost as much as the rifle 14 years later. At some point, maybe I'll find an original sling for it.

T

Added another pic with the rabbit. Maybe someone can think of a Mauser-Rabbit joke.

P.S. Ray, shooting the rabbit with the Mauser is NOT a joke.[shocked]

Last edited:
No Picts right now but my first was my 1944 long branch enfield no4 mkI. That I recieved free. And had to get a magazine and a few stock parts to get back to 100%. into this beautiful gun for under $100. I'd never part with it

The first mil-surp I bought was a 1911 mfg 1918. I bought it at an auction for $450. The sights were changed on it already so I didn't feel too bad about changing the trigger ,it was hard to shoot and I like to shoot it. A lot. I have the original trigger and other parts for it still.

IMG_4370_zpse711411a.jpg

My first that started it all. My SA 2.06 10/43 M1. Got in 1998 when I turned 19. Withoin 2 years of receiving it, had 61 other of its brothers, of all makers, serial number ranges, snipers M1D and M1C, national match type I and type II varients. Was a sickness, I regret falling away from.

Cost me about 500. When I sold off all others, I kept this over the all matching SA's H&R's Wichesters and IHC's, as well as snipers, just for the sentimental value.

Last edited:
My first milsurps purchase with my C&R license was a pair of CZ82s 189.00 ea with free shipping. Ammo was dirt cheap when I purchased them and the internet experts claim them to be the most accurate 9mm surplus handgun for under 200.00......and then i was hooked. No pics my 2004 vintage computer is really screwing with me and I cant upload pics from my photo program anymore ?

My first was a Blue Sky import M1 Garand. Bought it back in '89, while home on leave from Germany. I knew nothing about them, in terms of what to look for/avoid, but had grown up reading about WWII and Korea, so I knew I had to have it.

Still have it, and still contemplating finding a non-import marked SA barrel to put on it. But it shoots just fine, so I may wait another 20+ years before doing anything :)

SpringfieldM1_zpsb535aebc.jpg

Chris

Popped my milsurp cherry with this bad boy from the CMP in 2012. $650. Service Grade HRA, 5.5mil. The bug bit me hard. I have another SG SA M1, and two more on the way. A M44 Mosin and two M91/30s on the way. When does it stop?? [laugh] Honestly, if I ever hit rough times, the M1s are the last to go.. I want these to pass down as (my) family heirlooms.

I'm liking the theme, as with me, that when we trade/sell off parts of our collection we still have out 'first'. This was my gut feeling when I started the thread.

[cheers]

T

My first one ever was a No. 1 Mk. III Enfield at a gun show in Ponoma, CA for $50. That Enfield quickly launched my need to collect all of the WWII Enfields (which then turned into collecting all of the major battle rifles in WWII, which then turned into the need to collect....and then collect....) Here are four of my Enfield rifles (which were my first MilSurps):
Enfield Collection.jpg

My first Milsurp

Bought my first milsurp 50 years ago. A 1943 Oneida M1942 bayonet made to go on a 1903 rifle (M1905 style with plastic handles).

DSCN2813_zps05eb123e.jpg

DSCN2814_zps3fe8f356.jpg

I was a Boy Scout and bought it at Jerry's Army and Navy in Salem, MA prior to going on a camping trip. Back then Army and Navy stores
actually sold GI surplus. I believe Jerry's also sold mil surp firearms, however I was a little young at the time.

I picked up a few milsurps last weekend from a friend who's thinning his collection. My only other milsurp was a Chinese SKS.

Today I brought the Finnish M27 Mosin Nagant and the 8mm Mauser to the range to let some fire out of them. This was my first time at the helm of either type of gun and I had an absolute blast. The trigger on the Mauser is way nicer but they both shot well.

It's a little bright with the snow and you can't make out my targets. Groups were about five inches or so at fifty yards shooting with my elbows on my knees or the bench. Gotta get some slings!

u4aqemu8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so I revisted this post. I posted my 1st "milsurp" I purchased with my C&R license was the CZ82s
My very first center fire rifle I purchased in 1989 was a Russian SKS 1953(buy memory) yes I STILL HAVE IT. so this is my actual 1st milsurp. Again no pics. Im having a major technology melt down. Camera shit the bed. Computer blew my pics into the deep relm of the harddrive somewhere and my computer is will soon be obsolete....

This is my Webley Mk IV .38.

Long story short: I'd been in love with Webleys ever since seeing Lawrence of Arabia, and when I saw one on a table at the Fayetteville (NC) Gun Show in 1998 I had to have one even though it was the wrong caliber. Price then was $150. At the time, Fayetteville had a silly ordinance requiring police permits for handgun purchases; I'd only bought rifles before this, so I had no idea. Guy told me he'd hold it for me for a week at that price, but his store was just south of Charlotte.

Headed down to the PD during lunch on Monday. Got my permits; they were something like $5 each. The problem was that my battalion was on DRF-1, and therefore I was on a 2-hour recall. I remember, pre-Mapquest, sitting at my kitchen table with a map calculating exactly how fast I'd have to drive so that I'd be within 2 hours of Ft Bragg if we had an alert. The upshot was that I could make it almost the whole way there, but that for the last five miles or so (plus the time I was in the shop buying the gun), I would technically be AWOL. As an infantry officer, that would have been a no-no.

But I bit the bullet, headed out there at top speed, and did the deal. I've since found out it's one of the ones that went to the Israelis after the war, with a rack number on the back strap. I'll never sell it, even though I don't shoot it often.

Last edited:
I may have to add a Webley and Nagant at some point to give the collection some culture. What was the WWI caliber, .455?

T

Last edited:
I ma have to add a Webley and Nagant at some point to give the collection some culture. What was the WWI caliber, .455?

T
Yes, the earlier Webley was in .455. Its a blast to shoot. You can also get moon clips and shoot standard .45 out of it. The Webley MkIV was my first milsurp pistol. Trying to find 38 S&W rounds got me into reloading.

Yes, the earlier Webley was in .455. Its a blast to shoot. You can also get moon clips and shoot standard .45 out of it. The Webley MkIV was my first milsurp pistol. Trying to find 38 S&W rounds got me into reloading.

Is that what the Mark IV in .38 takes, .38 S/W long? .38 special won't work?

T

So which was your first?

T

Oh yeah, I guess this isn't a "What did you buy this month?" thread. The Chinese SKS was my first.

I bought it at the first (and so far only) gun show I've ever attended. I HAD to buy something and an SKS was high on my list.

Once I got it home, I spent the next few weeks cleaning it , then removing a few more parts, cleaning it again, and then finally taking the whole thing down and doing it right.

The furniture was another thing. The cosmoline was so old and dry that I finally broke down and slowly heated it in front of the fire, taking care to rotate the pieces so as not to overheat and crack them. It came out looking almost as bad as when I started, just less sticky.

Fast forward to shooting it. It is a great shooter, at least as far as fun goes. Now that I think about it, it's gonna have to go to the range next time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that what the Mark IV in .38 takes, .38 S/W long? .38 special won't work?

T

No, 38 special won't work. The 38 S&W is actually a shorter case with a larger bullet (.361 vs .357/.358 for the 38 special)

Sent from my Samsung Note II via Tapatalk 2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom