milled boards

wjsmall97

NES Member
I have a stack of milled boards, 29 boards high (with 1"spacers between each row) approximately 7.5' wide (the stack not the boards) and approximately 16.5' long. they were milled on my site in Oct last year and covered through out the winter. I am not sure what the value is, but need to move them and was considering selling them. they are located in Naples, ME.

Me bad, there are approx. 1" thick pine boards ,milled with a portable saw mill. I'll look for pictures, but don't know how to post them.

Me bad, there are approx. 1" thick pine boards ,milled with a portable saw mill. I'll look for pictures, but don't know how to post them.

By method of sawing, I mean half sawn, quarter sawn, it makes a difference in the stability and grain appearances of the board.

I was not there, and my stepson new the guy doing the milling, so I am not sure how they where milled. I will have to check into it. Thanks guys, Bill

My guess would be flat sawn. I don’t think a portable saw mill operator is going to take the time to quarter saw anything. No money in it unless the customer is paying for fine furniture grade boards.
OP- last time I bought green rough sawn pine boards I paid as little as 1.20 to 2.20 a board foot depending on grade.

I was not there, and my stepson new the guy doing the milling, so I am not sure how they where milled. I will have to check into it. Thanks guys, Bill

Look at the face grain and end grains of the boards and compare to the picture above. My guess is it's half sawn(plain sawn) if done on a portable band saw mill.
Either way, if it's hardwood, it's still worth some good money.

So if there it is 7 boards wide x 29 boards high x 16 ' long x 1.20 they should be worth in the neighborhood of $3800 if I figured it right. Can use the money now more than the wood and still have a smaller pile left. Thanks for all the info.
Bill

My guess would be flat sawn. I don’t think a portable saw mill operator is going to take the time to quarter saw anything. No money in it unless the customer is paying for fine furniture grade boards.

This. I’ll be shocked if it’s quartersawn.

Either way, if it's hardwood, it's still worth some good money.

He said they’re pine.

Couple observations, one, assuming your boards are 12" wide, you're looking for $1/bd foot for rough sawn lumber. That seems like a premium.

Two, being done on a portable mill it doesn't seem likely the wood is kiln dried. If this were firewood, it might not be legal for you to sell out of your local area. Maybe that doesn't apply to lumber.

Three, why isn't this in classifieds? At least there you could list the specs and the price and you wouldn't have all us nit pickers picking nits.

You're "probably" asking at least twice what it's worth, in my completely unqualified opinion.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I buy lumber everyday, and think you are greatly over estimating the value. You can buy 1x8x16' boards for as little as 12-13 bucks a piece. And they will be precision end trimmed and planed as smooth as glass.
Even stickered and covered you are going to have some cupping. So retail for the stack of boards you have is about $2600.

But, unless someone is specifically looking for rough saw pine boards they need to be ripped, planed and trimmed. Not including the cost to load them and transport them. Honestly, if someone offered you more than $500 bucks for them, I would take it.

Honestly, if its pine wood, its not exactly an "in-demand & sought-after" finish material (like oak, cedar, hemlock, mahogany, maple, etc.)

An inch isn’t especially thick, either. Once you dimension the timber, you’ll lose even more; at that point, you might as well just go to your local lumber store. Folks who make vintage-spec Telecasters can use stable pine, but an inch is too thin. And there aren’t many of those folks either.

Sorry, OP. Probably not what you were hoping to hear.

You know what those boards are used for pretty commonly? Barn building and shed building. They are great for repairs or if adding on etc. If you are in Maine, I wouldn't be surprised if someone local could use them for repairs etc. And this is the time of year that they would be working on it. Board and batten is a very common construction method.

You know what those boards are used for pretty commonly? Barn building and shed building. They are great for repairs or if adding on etc. If you are in Maine, I wouldn't be surprised if someone local could use them for repairs etc. And this is the time of year that they would be working on it. Board and batten is a very common construction method.

The thing is, there are local lumber companies that not only carry all kinds of rough-hewed reclaimed wood, but they also mill-out & sell new stock wood in many different dimensions and types.
Example: Bingham Lumber in Brookline NH.
So its not like you "can't" find 1" pine anywhere....

An inch isn’t especially thick, either. Once you dimension the timber, you’ll lose even more; at that point, you might as well just go to your local lumber store. Folks who make vintage-spec Telecasters can use stable pine, but an inch is too thin. And there aren’t many of those folks either.

Sorry, OP. Probably not what you were hoping to hear.

I wOuldnt mind a short piece for a La Cabronita tele I was thinking of building. 1” is fine.

You’d need a substantial cap. Fender’s thinnest bodies are about 1.5 inches.

My bad. Some reason I thought it was thinner. Used to be able to get poplar almost 2” thick at Home Depot. No longer.

Edit : It’s possible I was getting 1” thick and gluing 2 together.

That's exactly what I'd use them for if it was priced around $500 and was local to Mass...

Back
Top Bottom