• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

might be a dumb question but...

cstockwell

NES Member
can someone please answer a question for me? I used Hodgon hp-38 powder in my .38 reloads and they shoot great and no real issues. When I use that powder to reload 9mm they shoot fine but I get a nasty cloud of smoke after shooting the shot at the end of barrel. I looked at the crimps on both rounds I do and the crimps seem to be the same roughly so I am not sure what is up. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Charlie

easy answer: some powder is smokey. some is dirty. some is REALLY clean burning. it depends on what your loading, what charge, what bullet/bullet weight....etc.

HP38 is nearly identical to W231 in burn rates (it is a tad faster), and isnt a great match for a heavy 9mm bullet (147gr for example).

crimp on 9mm vs. crimp on .38special isnt relevant. certain rounds require more, most can get away with less. dont use a 9mm round to gauge a crimp for a .38special.

If you are using lead bullets in the 38, the lube could be causing the smoke.

I am using lead bullets right now. I had used the lightest powder load recommended and a 124g bullet head. I am guessing that may be the reason. Thank you two for the replies. I am waiting on fmj 115g heads that should be here this week and will try a slightly higher powder charge and see if that helps.

I am also going to try the lead with a slightly higher powder charge and less crimp to see if that may help a little on the lead bullets.

Um, be careful there, Sparky... jumping around with loads.... Be sure to use a powder/ powder weight/bullet combo that's safe per loading data. I'll presume that's what you meant.

The lube on cast lead bullets will produce smoke which jacketed bullets do not have or create.

Crimping is always important with pistol rounds. TOO LITTLE crimp is what causes improper burning of the propellant, causing soot and smoke.

The simple crimp test is to shoot a few rounds at about 5 feet distance from a blank sheet of paper. If you get only a hole, the crimp is good. If you get a hole surrounded by a spiral dark gray pattern on the paper, the crimp isn't tight enough. The dark gray spiral is the powder burning after the bullet has left the barrel. If you are seeing a spiral, tighten up the crimp.

Because of the bullet lube, lead is always going to burn smokier and dirtier than jacketed when using the same powder.

thanks for all the tips. and yes I (sparky) do go by the load specs in the hodgdon books and the specs on the powder container as well. I prefer not to blow anything up that doesn't need blowing up...well you know...

You might consider getting a chrono. They can be had for well under $100 and provide vital information.

You might consider getting a chrono. They can be had for well under $100 and provide vital information.
That is a great idea. I had thought about that before too since I was thinking of doing IDPA soon and would like to use my own reloads for the matches once I got them to where I was happy with them.

I'm also guessing it's the bullet lube. Try loading a few jacketed bullets in the 9mm and see if they still smoke. I load 9mm with lead and jacketed and the lead loads smoke alot but I shoot them out of a submachinegun so who cares

Back
Top Bottom