MG's with silencers?

mark2215

NES Member
I've seen a few guns that come with silencers. I know silencers are a no-no in MA but can the guns be sold separately from the silencers or are the silencers somehow permanantly mated to the gun on the tax form? If someone were to buy the gun/silencer combo in another state would they have to pay a tax stamp for each part?

doesn't matter what state you're in...a suppressor is a separate entity than a machine gun. for instance, if you have an MP5SD (factory suppressed), you're responsible for the tax stamp for the MG and another stamp for the suppressor. If it was purchased as a sear-ready gun (flemming or similar), then you'd be responsible for a stamp for the suppressor, another stamp for the short barrel (SBR), and your sear would carry its own stamp.

Depends on the firearm, but most suppressors are detachable. The suppressor itself is treated as a "firearm" as far as the NFA is concerned. It's a separately registered part. Regardless of what it's attached to, it has to be transferred on a form 4, and it's not allowed in MA.

If it's attached to another NFA registered firearm, that also has to transferred on a form 4. If not, it's just a regular firearm, unless there's a threaded barrel and it meets the definition of assault weapon. Then it needs to pre-ban to live in MA.

that's exactly what I thought but wasn't positive and have realized that guessing with these toys is a very bad idea. Slowly but surely I'm learning.

I've seen a few guns that come with silencers. I know silencers are a no-no in MA but can the guns be sold separately from the silencers or are the silencers somehow permanantly mated to the gun on the tax form? If someone were to buy the gun/silencer combo in another state would they have to pay a tax stamp for each part?

Even on a rare gun like an MP5SD the gun will transfer with 2 stamps. So it can't move until both get approved. $400 of taxes on one gun.

-Mike

Even on a rare gun like an MP5SD the gun will transfer with 2 stamps. So it can't move until both get approved. $400 of taxes on one gun.

I drooled a little.

FYI, the suppressor is removable on the MP5SD. I assume it's either threaded or 3 lug like other MP5s, but I'm not sure.

I'm not an MG expert, but I wonder which MGs have permanently attached suppressors. Still, removable or not, it's 2 stamps.

I drooled a little.

FYI, the suppressor is removable on the MP5SD. I assume it's either threaded or 3 lug like other MP5s, but I'm not sure.

I'm not an MG expert, but I wonder which MGs have permanently attached suppressors. Still, removable or not, it's 2 stamps.
Any gun that is integrally suppressed (ported barrel surrounded by a tube) would be classified as not having a removable suppressor. I suppose that if the suppressor (can) is welded to the barrel, the same might apply but I have yet to hear of this being done in production. My integrally suppressed Ruger .22 pistol has the serial # on the tube and is registered as a "suppressor" with the mfr being Ceiner. Jack.

Last edited:
If the suppressor is permanently attached to the MG, then it is a single-stamp transaction. I've seen a few, but they are pretty uncommon. Most people want the ability to remove them and given the prices of MGs, another $200 for a second stamp isn't a big deal.

As for the MP5SD, it uses a very short threaded barrel to attach the suppressor to.

If the suppressor is permanently attached to the MG, then it is a single-stamp transaction. I've seen a few, but they are pretty uncommon. Most people want the ability to remove them and given the prices of MGs, another $200 for a second stamp isn't a big deal.

As for the MP5SD, it uses a very short threaded barrel to attach the suppressor to.
Would this type of thing then be registered as a "Machine Gun" or "Silencer"? Would nice if ATF, at least, would call these things "Sound suppressors", which they are, and not "Silencers" which they are not. Jack.

I like "slightly less louders" which I think more accurately describes the effect. The first thing almost every person new to guns I've watched see a can in action says is something along the lines of "how come it's not silent like in the movies" or "why is it still so loud."

I like "slightly less louders" which I think more accurately describes the effect. The first thing almost every person new to guns I've watched see a can in action says is something along the lines of "how come it's not silent like in the movies" or "why is it still so loud."
.22 lr cans and integrals can be very effective. They are good for demonstration as opposed to a 5.56 AR. Jack.

.22 lr cans and integrals can be very effective. They are good for demonstration as opposed to a 5.56 AR. Jack.

Oh I agree, but I think that kind of setup gives false witness to the vast majority of calibers. Running super light loaded 9mm rounds through a nice can is also very quiet, but not typical.

Would this type of thing then be registered as a "Machine Gun" or "Silencer"? Would nice if ATF, at least, would call these things "Sound suppressors", which they are, and not "Silencers" which they are not. Jack.

That's a great question, I honestly have no idea how they would have it in the registry. My guess is it would have to fall in the category of MG since they are subject to the '86 ban and silencers aren't.

Oh and I still call them silencers because I like to anger the semantics police, and because that's what Hiram Maxim who invented them called it, (and what his company is still called) so it works for me. You don't want to get me started on the whole clip vs. magazine nonsense!! :)

Once you start shooting suppressed you'l never go back to women. Jack.

I'm moving to MA from CT (A comparatively MUCH free-er state where the only real restriction is the AWB) and the suppressor thing is killing me more than anything else. I've got my fingers crossed on a MG license, but not counting on it.
I'm going to keep property in CT and maintain my CT residence so that stuff can stay in CT.

There's nothing more fun than a 9mm subgun loaded up with 147gr subsonics going through a suppressor. Like a stapler on steroids.

Don

Max11.jpg

Back
Top Bottom