Moving to MA with SBR's

Trying to help a friend out. He lives in WA and is moving to MA next year. He has several AR's, some of which are SBR's (with stamps).

Can he move any of the AR's to MA? What about the SBR's?

no! you have to have been living in the state continuously for 10 years to own that stuff. the noble thing to do is have him join nes so he can karma the rifles to those of us who have the time in.

It comes down to the BS again of if you take the AG’a notice as law. If you do then no he can’t bring any AR’s. If you don’t see it as law then get the LTC and bring whatever he wants and hope he doesn’t become a test case.

Unfortunately we need someone to be a test case so we can challenge this whole ban.

Last edited:
Trying to help a friend out. He lives in WA and is moving to MA next year. He has several AR's, some of which are SBR's (with stamps).

He can move them all, although if any were built since 9/04 they're probably illegal because they're in ban config. (nobody outside of shit states like MA builds old AWB compliant guns at all. ) He will have to chop the balls off pretty much everything.

Have fun with that dumpster fire. If he's too afraid of MA AWB BS he's better off just selling all his shit if he wants to move here.

ETA: This is even ignoring Maura Healeys bullshit, which nobody outside of dealers cares about. Even without her bullshit, he probably has some work to
do WRT determining legal status of his guns and whether or not he wants to neuter them or not.

ETA2: If he plays by big kid rules BTW there's a well written nostrum that SBRs are not "assault weapons" under MGL... and thus don't require MA neutering, but this has never been really tested. I would trust it, but that's me, and my risk assessments are liable to be different from others.

-Mike

Last edited:

ETA2: If he plays by big kid rules BTW there's a well written nostrum that SBRs are not "assault weapons" under MGL... and thus don't require MA neutering, but this has never been really tested. I would trust it, but that's me, and my risk assessments are liable to be different from others.

-Mike

There are gun stores that I trust in Massachusetts that say the same exact thing....

The logic behind this is the illogic of MA law. Assault Weapon is defined in MGL 140 121 and mostly is a reference to USC 921 (a)(30) of 9/13/94. This has 3 clauses to cover rifle, pistol and shotgun. In MA a rifle is 16"+. A SBR is not a pistol under federal law. This would make a case for the AWB having no way to apply to an SBR the way MA and federal law are constructed.

All pistols (federal term) are firearms (MA term). Not all firearms are pistols. An SBR is a firearm under MA law. So if a DA wants to argue that all weapons (firearm, rifle, shotgun as defined in MA law) has some definition that could make it an AW, what do you apply? Federal pistol definition of AW or federal rifle definition of AW. Since both can logically be shown NOT to apply... And you enter an infinite loop that causes brain freeze. Now of course, the "because guns" theory of MA jurisprudence will exit any infinite loop with you in jail and a lifetime prohibited person.

Are SBRs ever AWs? You've got me. Given the ATF silliness wanting AR lowers used to build SBRs to be "pre-Healey" either through their own interpretation of Healey's interpretation of MA law or through asking Healey and getting told that by her office, one might conclude that an SBR CAN be an AW. That would say some (who knows which one) definition from federal AW law is applied to SBRs to determine if they are an AW.

And now your eye's have glazed over and you know nothing more than you did before reading this other than you need more scotch.

I came here looking to ask a similar question, the answer isn’t clear. It seems like a no to be safe or a yes but you may end up a felon. I’m trying to avoid starting new posts for old questions.

Back
Top Bottom