MetroWest Tactical's first Nor'easter IDPA Match

MetroWest Tactical proudly announces our "First Annual Nor'easter IDPA Match"! Note: The "Nor'easter" match name is replacing our previous "Penguin" name and is unique to our area- so we'll be using this going forward.

Harvard Sportsmen's Club
*Saturday, January 24, 2009
*Registration starts at 9:15 AM
*Safety briefing at 10:00 AM
*First shot at 10:15 AM
*Match fee $20
*The match will feature 6 stages: 4 outdoors, 2 indoors (low light)
*Lunch will be available for purchase at 12:15 in the clubhouse

Make sure to bring:
- Pistol or revolver
- At least 3 magazines or speedloaders
- Holster
- Magazine carrier/holder
- Concealment garment (a shirt, vest, or light jacket will work fine)
- Eye and ear protection
- Flashlight
- 150 rounds of ammunition

This match is open to the public. No pre-registration is necessary.
Bring your friends to shoot with us.

Additional info on www.metrowesttactical.com

Hmm, this sounds like alot of fun, I've never done an IDPA match before, anything I should know/any tips?

Have you done any action or combat shooting? Low light shooting? You can go to our website or check out www.idpa.com for some details on the sport. Our site also lists some practice times- might be worth while to get familiar with it before a match. Let me know if you have other question.

I've done some low light training, and some tactics training that has involved shooting and moving in and out of cover and speed drawing/reloads. be interesting to see how well it works under a decent amount of pressure. I will take a look at the site, thanks for the link [smile]
beginners are welcome to this event?
Also, would I be able to compete with my Sig P239 in .40 with an IWB holster?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Also, would I be able to compete with my Sig P239 in .40 with an IWB holster?
Thanks!

It won't be the most competitive, as you'll be shooting against full size 9s with 10 round mags, but for having fun, learning the ropes, and testing your gear it's fine. Maybe you can join the compact 40 contest between Mike-Mike and Chopper. [grin]

You'll want 2 magazines on your belt and another 2 in your pockets (bring more if you have them, and you could get by with 3). Bring 200 rounds, expecting to shoot around 100. Eyes, ears, and a flashlight should round out the equipment list. I'm pretty sure all IWB holsters are legal as long as they're not worn in front of the hip.

Cool, thanks!
I have 3 magazines at the moment and have been thinking about getting a fourth, so this might get my off my butt, lol.
Either way, sounds like a lot of fun, and the smaller mags will just make me practice speed loading more, lol. how many rounds do you usually fire each stage? with 4 magazines, i'd have 28 rounds to get me threw each stage, I figure it'd be a bit odd if I had to stop to top off in the middle of the match and I take it throwing bullets at the targets doesn't count, lol.

Cool, thanks!
I have 3 magazines at the moment and have been thinking about getting a fourth, so this might get my off my butt, lol.
Either way, sounds like a lot of fun, and the smaller mags will just make me practice speed loading more, lol. how many rounds do you usually fire each stage? with 4 magazines, i'd have 28 rounds to get me threw each stage, I figure it'd be a bit odd if I had to stop to top off in the middle of the match and I take it throwing bullets at the targets doesn't count, lol.

Technically speaking, per IDPA rules, you are only allowed to use your fully loaded gun plus two on the belt OR two in the pocket for a stage. So with your 239 you could use a max of 22 rounds.... 7+1 in the gun (required) and 2x7 in the mags. You can use a "barney" mag to load the chamber and then insert a full mag to start the stage but it's not required- hence the requirement of at least 3 magazines, not four. Like many things... more is often better though. [smile] Per IDPA rules the max round count per string is 18 so you should be fine but you don't want to be dumping extra rounds without cause.

Last edited:
my god it's going to be cold. I haven't shot in a long time.
I need to start getting some really warm and light clothing.
I may show up in a onesie

my god it's going to be cold. I haven't shot in a long time.
I need to start getting some really warm and light clothing.
I may show up in a onesie

If you show up in a onesie I'll make sure to throw every procedural I can at you! [rofl]

I hope to God it isn't as cold as it is this weekend!

if I were running it, i'd give bonus points for competing in a bathing suit.... Especially the women...

If I did that it would be a "Failure to do right"

2l8hjba.jpg

Sadly, I've never seen a woman compete at a local IDPA match.

I'd like to give IDPA a try, but I'm still a newb at shooting (I think I've maybe been 10 times to the range), so first thing to do is probably start showing up to practices at HSC.
Oh, and find a holster that works for me, too. I'm guessing having a holster before going to practices might be a good idea.

Are practices still 7:30-10 on the 1st and 3rd Mondays @HSC?

I'd like to give IDPA a try, but I'm still a newb at shooting (I think I've maybe been 10 times to the range), so first thing to do is probably start showing up to practices at HSC.
Oh, and find a holster that works for me, too. I'm guessing having a holster before going to practices might be a good idea.

If you can't make it to a practice just go to a match. Throw yourself into the fire!

Everyone is very nice and very helpful. If they know you are new at it they will most certainly help you along.

Try bladetech holsters. IDPA holsters should sit flush against the leg (you should be able to see a gap between the leg and the back of the holster)

Google youtube for IDPA events or just search under my username for videos of our shoots. You'll get a good idea of what happens.

Yes- those are the correct times for practices. Unlike some, I tend to be more conservative with these things- it's a good idea to come to practices before going to a match. SOs are accountable for the safety of shooters. There is a lot to learn and running around with a loaded firearm is something that shouldn't be treated lightly. At a match- it's not easy for an SO to spend some time helping out- come to our practice and let the people running the practice know you are new to the sport. It will be well worth your time, trust me.

As far as holsters and mag pouches I'm a huge fan of Comp-Tac (www.comp-tac.com)- they offer great service and products.

If you have any specific questions- please PM me if you'd like.

Dang, i'm not free tomorow night, would have been awsome to be able to join a practice before the match. ahh well, I like jumping into things, more interesting that way. Does sound like alot of fun!

Considering cold weather awareness, we include
in the shooters' bag for the match:

1. Warm atmosphere
2 Hot coffee, donuts
3. Hand warmers

The match name speaks by itself: Nor'easter.
No suntan lotion will be offered.
No watercoolers on ranges.

Come to shoot and have fun with us.

Gene,
MD

AHHHHHH!!!! I'm starting to catch that damn stomach bug that's goin around. My g/f got it bad yesturday and i'm starting to not feel so well [crying]

I dont suppose projectile vomiting at targets counts if my ammo run dries [wink]

AHHHHHH!!!! I'm starting to catch that damn stomach bug that's goin around. My g/f got it bad yesturday and i'm starting to not feel so well [crying]

I dont suppose projectile vomiting at targets counts if my ammo run dries [wink]

Sorry to hear. Seems like lots of bugs going around. If you do get brave and decide to go... just make sure to squad up with someone else ok? [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom