MetroWest Tactical's first Nor'easter IDPA Match

So... now I'm a member of the DQ club. (not dairy queen)

I'll post the video up so people can see what not to do and can hopefully learn from it.

In short, I was shooting inside and there were 4 targets. 2 on the left and 2 on the right. I shoot the 2 on the left, moved to the ones on the right and thought I had missed one on the left. I took the shot on the left.

The angle at which I took the shoot was not good. The shot wasn't aimed at the backstop but instead at the wall.

So... now I'm a member of the DQ club. (not dairy queen)

I'll post the video up so people can see what not to do and can hopefully learn from it.

In short, I was shooting inside and there were 4 targets. 2 on the left and 2 on the right. I shoot the 2 on the left, moved to the ones on the right and thought I had missed one on the left. I took the shot on the left.

The angle at which I took the shoot was not good. The shot wasn't aimed at the backstop but instead at the wall.

We should have made you run around with the onsie for doing that! Seriously- sorry that happened. Looks like you'll have to get your brother next time!

I just want to thank MetroWest Tacticul and everyone involved for putting on a great match. The stages were all very challenging and I had a great time. Thanks again.

Yes... Definitely want to thank everyone for putting on a great match today. It was tons of fun. I particularly liked the trailer stage [grin]

Yes... Definitely want to thank everyone for putting on a great match today. It was tons of fun. I particularly liked the trailer stage [grin]

Very nice shooting Hanwei! The results are posted if you didn't know.

Damn indoor stages caused me some problems. Lesson learned- know your plan and stick to it. A procedural and a NoShoot will NOT help![rofl]

Last edited:

Damn indoor stages caused me some problems. Lesson learned- know you plan and stick to it. A procedural and a NoShoot will NOT help![rofl]

I felt like I shot well, but had a high # of procedurals for me, so my score suffered. [shocked]

Damn indoor stages caused me some problems. Lesson learned- know you plan and stick to it. A procedural and a NoShoot will NOT help![rofl]

...even so, you still shot well. Very nice score on stage 4 sir!

Last edited:
I had some video camera - windows xp recognition issues.

Videos are up.

My DQ:
Embarrassing but a learning experience. Hopefully you're all smarter than me and won't do this...or you'll catch yourself before doing what I did.

I'll go through my train of thought.
I shot the first 2 targets and moved onto the 3rd and 4th target.
My flashlight fumbling at the start of the stage threw me off quite a bit.
On the last target I thought I was done and had forgotten to take a third shot on the first target. (I already had)
I turned for a make-up shot. I realized I had not put 3 rounds on the last target so I turned back for the last shot.

It did not occur to me that the backstop was not behind Target 1 from my angle.

Last edited:
A question for some of you experienced folks....

I noticed in some of the stages I shoot... I take some make up shots at the end... Now... in my head... I'm thinking... "shit... one round hit a down 1... I'll just take one more shot to make it a down 0!"

But strategically speaking... is it better to keep that -1 or is it better to take that make up shot?

Advice please! Thanks in advance [grin]

I noticed in some of the stages I shoot... I take some make up shots at the end... Now... in my head... I'm thinking... "shit... one round hit a down 1... I'll just take one more shot to make it a down 0!"

But strategically speaking... is it better to keep that -1 or is it better to take that make up shot?

You're a better shooter than me, but I'll try to give you advice anyway. [laugh]How much time does it take to take the make up shot? If it's less than half a second, take it, if it's more, don't.

My gut feel is that if you have to think about it, a -1 isn't worth making up. If you call the shot bad (from where your front sight was when it broke, not from looking at holes), go ahead and make another one. I try not to look at holes except for headshots. I shouldn't look at those either, but I don't have that kind of confidence in my shot calling.

ETA: Take a look at the forums on www.brianenos.com, that's the place to go for action pistol match strategy info.

Hanwei... come on! You are experienced already!

It's really very simple math. If you can "call" the bad shot and get a down zero shot in less than .5 secs then you should probably do it. If you don't call the shot- I'd imagine the time it takes you to look at the down 1, acquire a sight picture again and hit a down zero may take more than a half second... it depends on target lighting, distance, etc.

I'm trying to get in the habit of calling my shots and not looking for holes. If I feel I didn't get a good shot off and it could be a down 3 I'll make it up for sure.

I can't tell you how many times I see people spend seconds to get a down 0 on some targets where they only had a down 1. It's simple math- don't do it.
What's worse is when I see people take 3 or even 4 shots into a down 0 when they only needed 2!! Call your shots. It's hard when the adrenalin is running but you gotta do it. I'm still working hard at this. What forces me to call shots is mentally telling myself- NO MAKE UP SHOTS.

I try not to look at holes except for headshots. I shouldn't look at those either, but I don't have that kind of confidence in my shot calling.

Exactly. But a missed head shot is a lot more painful that a down 1 so if you feel you didn't call it right.. it's costly not to get it right if you can... 2.5 secs to be precise. [wink]

Thanks, gentlemen [smile]

Half of the make up shots are taken after calling my shots... and the other half are from taking that extra time to look at the holes I've made.

So I guess I need to work on disciplining myself to call more shots and stop looking at the holes.

But it's so damn hard not to look at the holes I just made to make sure! [laugh]

But it's so damn hard not to look at the holes I just made to make sure! [laugh]

Well you are already shooting 9mm so you can't get any smaller holes. Maybe we can give you glasses that will prevent you from seeing the holes? [smile] Heck I shoot .45s and I can't see the holes sometimes. [rofl]

The extra shot in under .5 sec is a good rule of thumb in general but you are always giving up something. For instance, if it led to an extra reload that would add a few seconds or if there is something like a tricky piece of steel further into the stage that could much more likely call for needed extra shots. The tiny bit of attention that is required to call the shot, that may or may not actually take any time, is always worth taking. Everything else has a trade off.

Well you are already shooting 9mm so you can't get any smaller holes. Maybe we can give you glasses that will prevent you from seeing the holes? [smile] Heck I shoot .45s and I can't see the holes sometimes. [rofl]

give me the glasses and I'll wear them [smile]

Awesome. Thanks for posting. Looks like you guys had a great time!

Is it possible to have a crappy time shootin guns? [grin]

Back
Top Bottom