• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MetroPCS employee fatally shoots would-be robber in Philadelphia: Police

mikeyp

NES Member
Guess he won't be robbing anyone anymore [slap]

MetroPCS employee fatally shoots would-be robber in Philadelphia: Police

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- A store employee shot and killed a would-be robber in Philadelphia on Monday afternoon.

It happened around 4 p.m. at a MetroPCS store located on the 7000 block of Elmwood Avenue.

Police say an armed man in his 30s attempted to rob the store when the MetroPCS employee, who has a permit to carry, shot the suspect.

Police say the suspect died at the scene.

"A male entered the store with a firearm and attempted to rob the store to which he discharged his firearm at the robbery suspect several times, striking him," said Philadelphia Police Captain Scott Drissel.

No other injuries were reported.

Neighbors here say they heard the shots from inside.

Local activist Joar Dahn says it's unfortunate someone has died but also says people have to protect themselves.

He also says he's grown accustomed to shootings here in the neighborhood.

"He's doing his job and standing his ground and whatever he had to do. But this is the normal in Southwest. It's an everyday thing, nothing new for us," said Dahn.

Police confirm this was the third time recently that someone had come into the MetroPCS store with the intent to rob it.

In Philly? Hope he had proper licensing or they’ll be making an example of him.

Wasn’t it just last week their turd-burgler police chief was cheerleading for congress to pass more gun control after that hostage situation?

Wasn’t it just last week their turd-burgler police chief was cheerleading for congress to pass more gun control after that hostage situation?

The article says he has a carry permit.

He had a permit but would not be required to have one since its private property, he can carry any way he wants. I don't think it was the chief, he was just fired for creating a hostile workplace with a female office he was smashing. I think that was our mayor you are recalling.

The article says he has a carry permit.

I wasn’t certain of the distinction because there IS a special permit to carry JUST in the city or Philly if you can wrap your head around that one!

I know we have some ridiculous laws too, but that’s gotta be a HUGE pain in the ass for anyone that lives in the metro Philly area.

I wasn’t certain of the distinction because there IS a special permit to carry JUST in the city or Philly if you can wrap your head around that one!

I know we have some ridiculous laws too, but that’s gotta be a HUGE pain in the ass for anyone that lives in the metro Philly area.

This is ridiculous and patently false. I fill out the same LTC app in Philadelphia as the rest of the state.

??? I looked into it a few years ago and that’s what I read...is that a recent change?

I was required to provide two references in Philadelphia, our Commonwealth Court struck that down as illegal about 5 years ago. The only other thing I can think of is it generally accepted that you should posses an LTC to open carry in Philadelphia, in the rest of the state no permit is required to open carry.

I was required to provide two references in Philadelphia, our Commonwealth Court struck that down as illegal about 5 years ago. The only other thing I can think of is it generally accepted that you should posses an LTC to open carry in Philadelphia, in the rest of the state no permit is required to open carry.

Thank you for clarifying, and once again I apologize for spreading misinformation.

Thank you for clarifying, and once again I apologize for spreading misinformation.

You may be thinking of NYC. I live in Philadelphia and work in NYC, they have their own permit separate from the rest of New York. Obtaining a permit in NYC is an expensive and long process involving lawyers and politicians and they all have their hands out.

I found PA the easiest place to apply for a permit. From my experience, it seems that the only real discretion a sheriff has is whether or not he will accept applications from non county residents. That takes a bit of hunting around, but it's not that difficult.

This is ridiculous and patently false. I fill out the same LTC app in Philadelphia as the rest of the state.

I found PA the easiest place to apply for a permit. From my experience, it seems that the only real discretion a sheriff has is whether or not he will accept applications from non county residents. That takes a bit of hunting around, but it's not that difficult.

The courts ruled that all counties had to provide services to non-residents. It seems some have decided to direct you to other counties for sure. You gotta admit, walking in and out in 20 minutes with your LTC is nice.

When I was doing the research, I went to about 20 different county sheriff websites. Some were quite clear that they wouldn't issue to non county residents. That was three years ago. If the courts ruled on that before that, then a lot of counties are ignoring the ruling.

I think I was in and out in about 10 minutes. I went to the Reading Municipal Airport sub station, handed the deputy the printed application, a copy of my LTC, and $20.00. He was actually more interested in seeing my DL than my LTC. He typed some stuff into the computer and the next thing I knew, he told me to stand in front of the camera. License came out about five minutes later.

From the Dauphin County Sheriff website,

Welcome to Dauphin County, PA

***WE DO NOT PROCESS NON-RESIDENT PERMITS.

The courts ruled that all counties had to provide services to non-residents. It seems some have decided to direct you to other counties for sure. You gotta admit, walking in and out in 20 minutes with your LTC is nice.

A

You can take your 20 minutes and stuff it pal! :p

You may be thinking of NYC. I live in Philadelphia and work in NYC, they have their own permit separate from the rest of New York. Obtaining a permit in NYC is an expensive and long process involving lawyers and politicians and they all have their hands out.
Years ago, the application process in Cities of the First Class in PA (Philly is the only one) was more complicated and "may issue" while the rest of the state was "shall issue". Even so, it was a single type of permit valid state wide.

Years ago, the application process in Cities of the First Class in PA (Philly is the only one) was more complicated and "may issue" while the rest of the state was "shall issue". Even so, it was a single type of permit valid state wide.

Correct, Philadelphia added a second page to the application. The Commonwealth Court declared it unconstitutional some years back.

Don’t read the twitter comments if you are on blood pressure meds!

people saying overkill...

Bad guy still had control of the gun.
I bet the clerk didn't even realize how many shots he had fired till the slide locked.
It's pretty evident this wasn't the robbers first rodeo.
I'm sure his rap sheet is longer than a Stephen King novel.

Back
Top Bottom