Menino on FOX25 this morning

Yep I have no problem with this, your point is what? Last time I checked the 18 year old mugger is why some carry. Oh and I have lost a member of my family to a drunkard, a dui is no excuse.

My point is that the punishment should fit the crime. Did you purposely leave out the white collar crime because you can't justify their rights being taken away? I lost a close friend to a drunk driver when I was in HS and a few more people I knew died the same way when I got older. But, I also know good people that have had their lives ruined by feeling fine and getting nailed at a checkpoint for being barely over the limit. Not all convicted felons are bad people and some absolutely dint deserve to have the right to defend theirselves taken away.

My point is that the punishment should fit the crime. Did you purposely leave out the white collar crime because you can't justify their rights being taken away? I lost a close friend to a drunk driver when I was in HS and a few more people I knew died the same way when I got older. But, I also know good people that have had their lives ruined by feeling fine and getting nailed at a checkpoint for being barely over the limit. Not all convicted felons are bad people and some absolutely dint deserve to have the right to defend theirselves taken away.
Most are and I choose to err on the side of the innocent.

Prob has been stated here in this thread before. But "gunshow loophole" is just an attack to take away the private sale/transfer of firearms between individuals residing in the same state. That is all it's about they just call it "gun show" because the sheep, tune in to keywords and phrases. They should just say "we are trying to take away the private transfer of guns between individuals" and see how far it gets them.

I have no problem with ex cons losing their 2a rights, with the current recidivism rates society needs some form of protection from them.

In order to harbor this belief, you also have to believe in the falsehood that gun control works. The facts just don't bear that out.

Additionally, you really need to understand what a "prohibited person" really is, and how wide that description is. There is an entire class of people in this country who have become prohibited persons through dumb malum prohibitum laws (eg, drug possession) etc. Lots of people convicted of non violent crimes. Did you know that first offense DUI in MA makes someone a prohibited person? (And ironically enough, that person will get their license to drive back eventually... but they can forget about owning a gun, even outside of MA. )

Even the NRA at one time agreed that the federal laws on this issue needed some serious repair.

-Mike

In order to harbor this belief, you also have to believe in the falsehood that gun control works. The facts just don't bear that out.

Additionally, you really need to understand what a "prohibited person" really is, and how wide that description is. There is an entire class of people in this country who have become prohibited persons through dumb malum prohibitum laws (eg, drug possession) etc. Lots of people convicted of non violent crimes. Did you know that first offense DUI in MA makes someone a prohibited person? (And ironically enough, that person will get their license to drive back eventually... but they can forget about owning a gun, even outside of MA. )

Even the NRA at one time agreed that the federal laws on this issue needed some serious repair.

-Mike
nm, how many Dui's are excusable? One or two? Or do we wait till the offender actually kills some one? Then should we arm them?

Last edited:
nm, how many Dui's are excusable? One or two? Or do we wait till the offender actually kills some one? Then should we arm them?

As I stated earlier, I'm fully against people drinking and driving...in fact, I don't drink at all and haven't for years (no, I'm not an alcoholic).

That said...there are large numbers of people that get DUI's because they had a couple drinks at a friends house and drove home. The felt perfectly sober, they weren't physically or mentally impaired, but they were barely past the BA level the the govt deemed the limit that is "bad".

True story...when I was in my mid 20's I went through a divorce. My wife cheated in me and left me out of the blue and it really messed me up. There was a bar few miles from my house (I lived in MT at the time) so I went there and had a few Jack & Cokes and headed home to go think about how much my life sucked. While on my way home I came up behind a MT state cop and he was doing 40 MPH on a road that had a night time speed limit of 65 (safe & prudent during the day :) ) so I thought to myself "That SOB is trying to catch people that have been drinking by seeing if they're dumb enough to stay behind him at 25MPH under the limit!" so I passed him. I got pulled over, he smelled the JD on my breath, and I told him what I drank, how many, and that I was going through a tough divorce. He followed me home and told me to be more careful in the future. Now, if that cop wanted to, he could've easily nailed me for a DUI. That ONE lapse in judgement could've caused me to lose my current job in the Air Force, I would have lost all my benefits, and I would have lost my right to own firearms. Do you honestly think that's fair? IMO, people should never be punished for what "could" happen in such a severe manner.

What about Martha Stewart? As a felon, she's a prohibited person. How does her situation differ from someone convicted of restraint of trade or antitrust? Those crimes can be felonies but do not trigger a firearms prohibition.

Once people 'serve their debt to society' we generally restore their rights, with the exception of 2A rights. If someone's felony does not involve violence or the use of a firearm, is their continued prohibition justified by the need to protect society or is it just punitive?

I know a few people who were bagged for DUI in their distant past. None of them killed anyone. Two of them have unrestricted LTC-As. (because it happened way before the may 94 cutoff). IMO it is a really stupid thing to do, but I don't think anyone should be stripped of their rights for it, particularly not on their first offense.

The problem with prohibited person is it applies punitive punishment. The courts cannot opt out of applying that punishment on a case by case basis, either, unless they drop the whole case. It's basically a form of extrajudicial punishment that has minimal due process attached to it- and it's basically a life sentence, unless you get pardoned, and if it's a federal offense, you're basically screwed. (Did you know selling whale oil is a federal felony? Do you think guys selling whale oil should be prohibited persons?)

The NRA bulletin about this crap discussed gems like this...

-A licensed private investigator in MD who legally bought and own guns (or so he thought) for over a decade got busted by MD state police after they somehow or another found out that he got into a bar fight like 20 years ago and that conviction rendered him prohibited.

-A woman got bagged under lautenberg amendment because she ripped the pocket of her husband's jeans during a spat. The husband did not want to press charges but the state (VA?) had a mandatory DV law, so when the cops showed up and heard the story they were basically compelled by the law to arrest her. She got convicted of a "misdemeanor of domestic violence" and like a $50 fine or some crap. Because of lautenberg she can never legally own a firearm ever again.

There are other gems, too. BATFE trashed a family's house because they thought the prohibited person that also lived in the same house might have access to the firearms. (and the guy didn't, but they didn't care).

These laws enable abuse by government, period. All that s**t should be abolished, but I think the best gun owners can hope for save for a revolution is to get that garbage pared back so it only applies to known violent felons- eg, people who have actually hurt other people with a knife or a gun.

If the goal is to protect people from violent felons then why the f**k are the states letting these guys out in a year? Why should free people have their rights limited because of the actions of a minority?

If we don't believe in free people having rights we might as well just apply the death penalty to everything, or mandatory
deportation, because it's otherwise pointless to live in the US at that point.

-Mike

Last edited:
A permanent underclass of citizens in name only who are farmed for their tax dollars but otherwise unable to participate in society is not something to be lauded.

Back
Top Bottom