• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Me Too!

Chuck

NES Member
Santa came in the big white truck!
M1_LeftSide_small.jpg

Some blemishes, or so it seems to me. Local gun shop gurus think the stock is just fine the way it is, and I shouldn't touch it. Except maybe to remove the non-matching rack numbers on the stock and receiver. Thoughts?

M1_Leftside_rack__small.jpg

M1_Rightside_rack__small.jpg

But this 64 year old girl looks ready to rock and roll at the range this weekend!
M1_Forward_small.jpg

I have to read up on M1's now! I've heard about replacing various springs and such.

-= Chuck

Last edited:
Do you have a recommended way of doing that without affecting the blueing? Will paint solvents affect it? Will rubbing with 000 steel wool?

thanks,
Chuck

Try some 00 steel wool and Break Free. That should take it right off and protect and clean the bluing/metal. It doesn't look like an original parkerized finish. Looks like bluing done by the Greeks, same as my 03A3 Springfield. Should be durable enough to withstand a light rubbing. Might even come off with a rag and some mild cleaning solvent.

You could always head over to the CMP forum. You're not the first who wanted to remove the paint from the rec and stock. I'm sure you get step by step instructions.

I'd remove the number from the receiver but not the stock.

Try using acetone on a Q-Tip. Go slowly, and be sure not to drip any on the stock. The paint should come off without too much trouble.

Is that a 6 digit receiver? What is the date?

Is that a 6 digit receiver? What is the date?

Yes it is, I just followed the convention of not showing the whole serial number. I don't really know why that is the convention...

The serial number is from September 42. The barrel has a '43 mark. A Garand guy told me that doesn't necessarily mean she was re-built, but that the receiver wasn't matted to a barrel until '43. No real way to tell I guess. I'll be looking for bits and pieces to put in the stock tubes and a sling at the Big E next week.

cheers,
Chuck

Back
Top Bottom