• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ME Reciprocity Update

As I mentioned in a comment to an earlier thread I emailed the Maine State Police in regard to the new reciprocity law. The email exchange is as follows:

Officer McCausland,

I apologize in advance if you are not the correct person to reply to this inquiry. In looking at the State Police web site contact list your name and title looked the most promising.

I have been loosely following the progress of LD 2267 (HP 1630) “An Act To Increase the Number of Concealed Firearms Permit Reciprocity Agreements That Maine May Enter into with Other Eligible States.” Apparently the Governor signed this into law on 4/3/08.

This is, for many of us, exciting news as we would like more freedom to exercise our right to carry in more states than are currently reciprocating with Maine’s concealed carry permit. The big question is whether the Chief of the State Police intends to seek additional reciprocity agreements and, if so, with whom?

Any information you could provide in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Dear Jay at this point the other States have not been chosen and the law states that the Colonel of the State Police may sign into a reciprocity agreement with two other States not will. Note: I believe the language of the law was changed to omit the "2" and replaced with "any." Also if other States are selected it does not mean that other State will agree to take the State of Maine on as one of their reciprocity States. Further more the carrier from Maine that goes to Florida, for example, has to abide by all the Florida laws with regards to their Concealed Weapons regulations.

I hope this information was of some help to you. Respectfully Lt. Bowler

Lt. Bowler,

Thank you for your reply. My original question was prompted by folks in a couple of online shooting forums asking if anyone had heard anything further on this issue. In earlier responses to the forums I had noted much of what you have indicated below (particularly the “may” not “will” as some posts seemed to assume it was “will” and the Colonel would be somehow compelled to immediately start calling other states.)

I suppose my main question should have been whether or not there are currently any plans to explore further reciprocity. Having the ability to do so and intending to do so are, of course, very different things. While I realize there is not likely a definitive answer, it would be helpful to be able to report to the forum that it is either being looked into or that it is not something that is likely to be investigated in the near future.

Thank you

I cannot speak for the Colonel but it is my understanding that this is being looked at quite seriously. With that said we have excellent guidelines in this state which individuals who want a concealed firearms permit must meet to qualify. We certainly do not want reciprocity with another state that has less then quality standards when it comes to this issue. The work completed by my agency and the AG’s office has been a lot of work (checking into all 50 states) and we want to make sure if we select some states that they meet or exceed our qualifications and expectations. I hope this was helpful. Thanks Lt. Bowler

Lt. Bowler,

Thank you, that is very helpful. I am very much in agreement with you regarding the standards we have here for concealed firearms permit qualification. I am very aware that there are a lot of folks out there who disagree (to both opposing extremes) but in my opinion some reasonable restrictions are just plain necessary. I believe the restrictions we have here are responsible and reasonable.

I think I can speak for many other Maine residents when I say that the cooperation of Maine law enforcement (on every level) with legal gun ownership has been exceptional and very much appreciated. It is one of the many reasons I am proud to be a Maine resident.

Thanks again for your help.

So, not exactly a definitive reply, but at least they are looking at it. In the meantime...I'll be making out my FL application...that will get me most of the other non-brady-ish states.[hmmm]

TJ: Thanks for the update

While his reply was somewhar guarded, he did indicate they were taking it seriously and maybe there will be a few more reciprocal states with Maine. I did note that he spcifically mentioned Florida[grin] That pleases me as I already have Florida's Non-Res License and would love to carry in Maine without yet another CCW[wink] Thanks again for the update!

It was more of an answer than I was starting to suspect i was going to get. The first was so ambiguous I almost gave up, but figured I'd give it another shot and got a much better reply. :)

Back
Top Bottom