• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ME St. Police Stating Maine Permit Needed in Acadia Nat Park

that's the National Park Service's rule. which I think was overturned by the Fed law passed a few years ago.

http://www.nps.gov/acad/learn/management/upload/Maine-Firearm-Ban-Acadia-title12sec756-1.pdf

G. When the firearm is a concealed firearm carried by a person to whom a valid permit to carry a
concealed firearm has been issued as provided in Title 25, chapter 252. The person must have in
that person's possession the permit as required in Title 25, section 2003. [2009, c. 607, §1
(NEW).]

http://www.nps.gov/appa/learn/management/questions-and-answers.htm

so the Maine SP page may be referencing this. Given that all states permits are reciprocal with Maine now, it should be a moot point...if you have a CC permit.

Last edited:
Acadia National Park (Permit required; 12 M.R.S. §756)
State Parks (Permit required; open carry not permitted; 12 M.R.S. § 1803(7))
Regular archery hunting-deer only (Permit required; 12 MRS § 11403)
Employees’ vehicles on work premises (Permit required; vehicle must be locked and firearm must not be visible; 26 M.R.S. §600)

Above is what they had posted for the last 7 to 8 weeks if not more on the ME State Police Page at
http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

Now they have changed it to: Acadia National Park (Maine Permit required; 12 M.R.S. §756)

If they changed it on Arcadia and it was as you stated why did they not change it on the other three listings? National Parks go by the laws of the state the National Park is in.
If Maine says No then that will be the official position of the National Park.

I do know that authorities are very upset with the Permitless Carry Law. The big reason is they believe no one will get a permit anymore and that will cost them their jobs.

I do know that authorities are very upset with the Permitless Carry Law. The big reason is they believe no one will get a permit anymore and that will cost them their jobs.

The restricted areas that need a permit are pretty plain to see on the state website, as stated above. On the other hand, most LEA in Maine were indifferent, with Portland's crybaby CLEO being a notable exception. The State Police endorsed the bill.

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/04/...ermits-draws-hundreds-to-state-house-hearing/

From the article:
While the bill is drawing support across partisan lines, it is also dividing the law enforcement community. Maine State Police endorsed the measure at a legislative hearing...

LD 652, did not change anything about National Parks or the permitting system. It did not chance where you can carry, who can carry or the fact that you can get a permit. If this is a new change, then it is a new interpretation and has nothing to do with Constitutional Carry.

Sorry for the late reply. I talked directly to the Firearms Unit in Maine and even got a call back from them. They state to legally carry in Arcadia National Park you have to have a Maine resident or non-resident permit. They state that on their website. That is the way Maine is going to enforce the law. http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

Maine does not honor all other states permit/licenses. Maine law on who they honor states they will only honor states that honor them. That is also on their website. http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

The Maine Firearms Unit is not going to post a list of states they honor. I supplied them a list with references and contacts to check with states that honor Maine. They thanked me but posted nothing. PA no longer honors a Maine Permit/License.

Maine's new law on how they honor other states.

S.P. 313 - L.D. 868
Sec. 1. 25 MRSA §2001-A, sub-§2, ¶F, as repealed and replaced by PL 2011, c.
691, Pt. A, §24, is repealed and the following enacted in its place:

F. A handgun carried by a person to whom a valid permit to carry a concealed
handgun has been issued by that person's state of residence if that person's state of
residence honors a permit to carry a concealed handgun issued under this chapter;

Sorry for the late reply. I talked directly to the Firearms Unit in Maine and even got a call back from them. They state to legally carry in Arcadia National Park you have to have a Maine resident or non-resident permit. They state that on their website. That is the way Maine is going to enforce the law. http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

Maine does not honor all other states permit/licenses. Maine law on who they honor states they will only honor states that honor them. That is also on their website. http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

The Maine Firearms Unit is not going to post a list of states they honor. I supplied them a list with references and contacts to check with states that honor Maine. They thanked me but posted nothing. PA no longer honors a Maine Permit/License.

Maine's new law on how they honor other states.

S.P. 313 - L.D. 868
Sec. 1. 25 MRSA §2001-A, sub-§2, ¶F, as repealed and replaced by PL 2011, c.
691, Pt. A, §24, is repealed and the following enacted in its place:

F. A handgun carried by a person to whom a valid permit to carry a concealed
handgun has been issued by that person's state of residence if that person's state of
residence honors a permit to carry a concealed handgun issued under this chapter;

This is confusing and contradicting info, or maybe your post is incomplete? Many here believe that you can now carry in ME without any permit at all. In other words permitless carry for everyone, resident, or not?

Doesn't this apply only to certain parks, and places? This is from your link:

Effective October 15, 2015, Public Law 2015, Chapter 327 (LD 652), “An Act To Authorize the Carrying of Concealed Handguns without a Permit,” allows a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm to carry a concealed handgun in the State of Maine without a permit. This law also authorizes a person to possess a loaded pistol or revolver while in a motor vehicle, trailer or other vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle.

Concealed carry without a permit is limited to people who are 21 or older, with the following exception: If a person is 18 years of age or older, and is on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard, or has been honorably discharged from the Armed Forces or the National Guard, and is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm, the person may carry a concealed handgun. A person who is 18-20 years old and without the referenced military qualifications must have a permit to carry concealed. The law applies to both residents of Maine and non-residents.

Seems like under 21 years old is the only barrier. Or is it a poorly written law?

Maine has permitless carry. If you are 21 or active Military/Vet 18-21. There are places you can't carry under permitless carry in Maine that those with a Maine permit or a permit they honor can. Those carrying under permitless carry can't legally carry in State or National Parks in Maine. The parking lot storage law does not apply to those carrying under permitless carry.

To carry in Maine State Parks and have the Parking lot storage law apply to you have to have a permit license that Maine issues or honors. Maine does not honor all other states permits. They just honor those who honor them. Maine is not like the other states that went permitless carry and honored all other states but only honor those that honor them. To carry in Arcadia National Park the Maine State Police are stating that the Maine Statutes state you have to have a Maine resident or non-resident permit to carry in Arcadia National Park. So the places off limits for those with a Permit that is valid in Maine can carry in more places than those carrying under permitless carry. Those with a Maine Resident or Non-Resident can carry in Arcadia National Park while those with another states permit Maine honors can't legally carry in Arcadia. It is confusing. Maine made it very difficult for us good guys/gals to stay within the law.

IS this info still accurate? My nh resident permit doesnt work in acadia but a ME non resident permit will? I camt see to find this in the laws on maines .gov site.

IS this info still accurate? My nh resident permit doesnt work in acadia but a ME non resident permit will? I camt see to find this in the laws on maines .gov site.

NH resident licenses are honored by Maine at the current time, so that allows you to carry in state parks and bypass the notify portion of the law.

Is this new and do you have a reference source? ME appears to honor only resident licenses and only if the state recognizes a ME permit. Which NH does not do.

NH resident licenses are honored by Maine at the current time, so that allows you to carry in state parks and bypass the notify portion of the law.

Is this new and do you have a reference source? ME appears to honor only resident licenses and only if the state recognizes a ME permit. Which NH does not do.

Sources already posted.

Yes, ME honors only NH resident licenses, which is what we were talking about.

Not an issue. Your resident license from NH is accepted in ME.

I know this thread has some age to it but I am a bit confused. I am a NH resident with a NH LTC. What I have read was that in order for a NH resident with a NH LTC to CC in Acadia national park, I would have to get a Maine Permit.. Did I read that wrong? It doesn't make any sense cause Maine requirement to have a permit went away Oct 2015 right? and what about state parks for me?

I may have misread the law but again still confused on this.. oh and one more question

Do "No firearms" signs still carry weight or Law in Maine?

If someone could educate me on these questions I would be very grateful..

Thanks

I know this thread has some age to it but I am a bit confused. I am a NH resident with a NH LTC. What I have read was that in order for a NH resident with a NH LTC to CC in Acadia national park, I would have to get a Maine Permit.. Did I read that wrong? It doesn't make any sense cause Maine requirement to have a permit went away Oct 2015 right? and what about state parks for me?

I may have misread the law but again still confused on this.. oh and one more question

Do "No firearms" signs still carry weight or Law in Maine?

If someone could educate me on these questions I would be very grateful..

Thanks

Read the link above. It states unequivocally that a ME license is needed to carry in Acadia. It was my motivating factor in renewing my ME license.

If a place serves liquor and posts, it carries weight of law. Again that is laid out in the ME laws, link posted above.

Read the link above. It states unequivocally that a ME license is needed to carry in Acadia. It was my motivating factor in renewing my ME license.

If a place serves liquor and posts, it carries weight of law. Again that is laid out in the ME laws, link posted above.

Appreciate the reply.. I don't think I read that particular part.. I am still curious why it is required in Acadia and not in state parks now that Maine Permits are no longer required. I guess there are situations where it is still required.

Thanks again.

Appreciate the reply.. I don't think I read that particular part.. I am still curious why it is required in Acadia and not in state parks now that Maine Permits are no longer required. I guess there are situations where it is still required.

Thanks again.

Um, I guess you didn't read it all. Here's the quote from the ME SP website link I posted above.

There will be some circumstances in which an optional handgun permit will authorize the permittee to carry in certain locations or during an activity when an unpermitted person could not:
•Acadia National Park (Maine Permit required; 12 M.R.S. §756)
•State Parks (Permit required; open carry not permitted; 12 M.R.S. § 1803(7))

So it is required for BOTH Acadia and State Parks.

I don't read anything that says reciprocity means that your state license makes the above legal without a ME license.

Um, I guess you didn't read it all. Here's the quote from the ME SP website link I posted above.

I don't read anything that says reciprocity means that your state license makes the above legal without a ME license.
The other thing a ME permit does is exempt you from the "must notify" requirement under the ME version of constitutional carry.

Last edited:
The feds have nothing to do with it. If you're legal to carry elsewhere in the state, you're legal to carry in a national park.

This is a state law.

That seems to be incorrect. See Len's post # 22 as a starting point to find the text of the law, but it seems that permits are required to carry in either state or national parks in Maine; concealed carry without a permit is legal throughout the state *except* in the parks.

Fed law says legal if state law allows carry in national parks. So it leaves it to each state and ME created their own restrictions.

That seems to be incorrect. See Len's post # 22 as a starting point to find the text of the law, but it seems that permits are required to carry in either state or national parks in Maine; concealed carry without a permit is legal throughout the state *except* in the parks.

Yes: Len cites state laws, as I said.

Len, how do you read the difference between the two requirements:

There will be some circumstances in which an optional handgun permit will authorize the permittee to carry in certain locations or during an activity when an unpermitted person could not:
•Acadia National Park (Maine Permit required; 12 M.R.S. §756)
•State Parks (Permit required; open carry not permitted; 12 M.R.S. § 1803(7))

Note that Acadia says "Maine Permit required" and the State Parks simply says "Permit required." It looks to me at first blush like a Maine permit is specified for Acadia, but any permit would serve for State Parks, including home-state permits with which ME has reciprocity. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Len, how do you read the difference between the two requirements:

Note that Acadia says "Maine Permit required" and the State Parks simply says "Permit required." It looks to me at first blush like a Maine permit is specified for Acadia, but any permit would serve for State Parks, including home-state permits with which ME has reciprocity. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

That's how I read it, but it could be wishful thinking.

Back
Top Bottom