• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MCX Regulator

PappyM3

NES Member
I had to make sure this wasn’t April 1st.

Sig is coming out with a traditional rifle style lower for their MCX line.

The MCX-Regulator
IMG_9680.jpeg

Basically, a rip-off of the Fightlite SCR, but without the need to have a custom bolt carrier.

SCR for visual reference:
IMG_9681.jpeg

I do appreciate the idea behind this. I realize the marketing is aimed at fudds, but the lack of a pistol grip does help in stowing rifles in some places/uses.

That said, this is hideous compared to the SCR, and that mag release looks really hard to reach with how far back the trigger is. The SCR’s grip is immediately behind the receiver. This atrocity has a huge chunk of aluminum between the back of the upper and the grip.

View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4OSZtlL02y/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Last edited:
Does it come in 5.5" 300blk?

Apparently it’s out in 5.56 and 7.62x39. It uses an MCX upper, so theoretically you could swap the 5.56 barrel out with one of their expensive 300blk barrels. It’s a simple, but expensive, swap.

This has this eerie “ban compliance” vibe to it, like all the lever actions with accessory rails and black synthetic stocks making the rounds lately

There are a shockingly high (metric shit-ton) number of states with AWBs in the works post-Bruen.

I had to make sure this wasn’t April 1st.

Sig is coming out with a traditional rifle style lower for their MCX line.

The MCX-Regulator
View attachment 858554

Basically, a rip-off of the Fightlite SCR, but without the need to have a custom bolt carrier.

SCR for visual reference:
View attachment 858563

I do appreciate the idea behind this. I realize the marketing is aimed at fudds, but the lack of a pistol grip does help in stowing rifles in some places/uses.

That said, this is hideous compared to the SCR, and that mag release looks really hard to reach with how far back the trigger is. The SCR’s grip is immediately behind the receiver. This atrocity has a huge chunk of aluminum between the back of the upper and the grip.

View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4OSZtlL02y/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

F'n $3000 for this thing though.... The SCR is not even half that price...

Someone educate me. Why would I choose this over an AR15 or AR10?

One has a lot of after market support, about 30 different manufacturers, the same lower can be used for multiple uppers.

The other doesn't.

So, what am I missing?

There are a shockingly high (metric shit-ton) number of states with AWBs in the works post-Bruen.
People outside of cities don't give a sh*t.

People also don't give a sh*t about straight wall cartridge laws for hunting unless they are hunting in some busy public land. They also don't give a sh*t about shooting a deer out of season.

Life outside of big cities is very different.

One has a lot of after market support, about 30 different manufacturers, the same lower can be used for multiple uppers.

The other doesn't.

So, what am I missing?

They slip in and out of narrow areas more easily. They’re more handy to carry around. I get it, ARs aren’t exactly difficult to carry around. But these type of traditionally shaped rifles do have fewer things to snag and are easier to grab one handed at their balance point.

Also, with the sloping stock, you can add a low profile red dot or low profile irons. Keep the height over bore lower and maintain the snag-free aspect of the design.

I’d never default to such a rifle as a fighting rifle, but they do have advantages as ranch guns in trucks and scabbards.

That said, I have no idea why anyone would by this overpriced and hideous rifle over a Fightlite SCR, if they were looking for this type of form factor.

And the SCR can easily be used with multiple uppers too. It had a proprietary trigger and bolt carrier, but the bolts and uppers are the same. I think the SCR would be much better as a large frame though.

Last edited:
They slip in and out of narrow areas more easily. They’re more handy to carry around. I get it, ARs aren’t exactly difficult to carry around. But these type of traditionally shaped rifles do have fewer things to snag and are easier to grab one handed at their balance point.

Also, with the sloping stock, you can add a low profile red dot or low profile irons. Keep the height over bore lower and maintain the snag-free aspect of the design.

I’d never default to such a rifle as a fighting rifle, but they do have advantages as ranch guns in trucks and scabbards.

That said, I have no idea why anyone would by this overpriced and hideous rifle over a Fightlite SCR, if they were looking for this type of form factor.

And the SCR can easily be used with multiple uppers too. It had a proprietary trigger and bolt carrier, but the bolts and uppers are the same.
They seem to have as much junk as an AR.

I guess I would need to hold one. But looking st pics, I don't see a huge difference.

People also don't give a sh*t about straight wall cartridge laws for hunting unless they are hunting in some busy public land. They also don't give a sh*t about shooting a deer out of season.

I don’t know. I’ve met lots of rural hunters who are extremely strict about hunting laws.

The other doesn't.

So, what am I missing?
Ban compliance

I saw this a few weeks ago. I have mixed feeling about it. I like it from an engineering standpoint. I really hate to say it but its ban compliant and until the supremes grab an AW case this is what is left. Yea I know buy what you want yada yada yada. But here we are. That price is just WOW! I wish Ruger had fixed the mini 14 so you got something decent for your grand.

The other doesn't.

So, what am I missing?
One reason is because if you live in a state with a 1 evil feature AWB, this can be a zero evil feature rifle with 95% of the functionality of a standard AR.

CT is a perfect example.

That’s literally taking a piston upper off a MSR and make it worse. Kinda like “gee, I really like how this MCX runs, but that adjustable length of pull and that improved hand positioning with that grip, that needs to go”. I’m gonna put a stock on there that was built in the 1600 AD.

The other doesn't.

So, what am I missing?
This one matches the assless chaps better than all the others.

The funny part is this would still be non compliant under the proposed house bill in MA because of “barrel shroud” (1 evil feature rule). And then it would be also non compliant under the senate bill because of the “once non compliant always non compliant” rule and the two features being the “barrel shroud” and threaded barrel.

Also would rather just slap a Brn-180 upper on a foxtrot Mike ranch lower if I was going for cowboy vibes for half the price.

That’s literally taking a piston upper off a MSR and make it worse. Kinda like “gee, I really like how this MCX runs, but that adjustable length of pull and that improved hand positioning with that grip, that needs to go”. I’m gonna put a stock on there that was built in the 1600 AD.
Let's say you live in CT or CA. Or maybe MA if this bill gets reconciled and passed.

You need a zero feature gun.

You can either build yourself an AR with a fixed mag, which looks cool but if severely functionally compromised.
Or you can build yourself something like this or FightLite and have a 100% fully functional semi-auto with detachable mag rifle that has zero evil features.

I'd pick this any day of the week.

The funny thing is that 20 years ago when the Benelli M4 was all the hotness with its pistol grip, the 3 gun guys were laughing at its "tactical" stock. The reason being that running a shotgun is all about reloading on the fly and a traditional stock is superior to a tactical stock in all tactical situations. The ergos are slightly compromised but being able to roll it upside down and easily access the loading port is a big deal. So now "tactical" shotgun stocks are generally purchased by people who don't know any better and turkey hunters.

As a side note, at various points in the history of guns and arms there have been times when competition drove tactics in combat and other times when combat experience drove tactics in competition. We are and have been for 25 years in an era where techniques and tactics developed for competition are being used in real combat. The 3-gun way of shooting a shotgun is being adopted by people who shoot at 2 way ranges.

I know I'm diverging off into shotguns, but it demonstrates that functionally, once you fit it to yourself, a traditional stock doesn't have many disadvantages. Sure I'd rather have a standard AR. But if compliance forces me to choose between this and an AR that is neutered with a fixed mag or disabled gas system, I'd pick the fully functional traditionally stocked rifle all day, any day.

1710415991194.png

IMHO yes there are some inbred hillbillies in the sticks that will poach deer in the offseason, but for the most part serious hunters f-ing hate poachers. The average IQ of the guys getting busted for spotlighting deer decoys is probably MENSA level minus 100 points.

Let's say you live in CT or CA. Or maybe MA if this bill gets reconciled and passed.

You can either build yourself an AR with a fixed mag, which looks cool but if severely functionally compromised.
Or you can build yourself something like this or FightLite and have a 100% fully functional semi-auto with detachable mag rifle that has zero evil features.

The funny thing is that 20 years ago when the Benelli M4 was all the hotness with its pistol grip, the 3 gun guys were laughing at its "tactical" stock. The reason being that running a shotgun is all about reloading on the fly and a traditional stock is superior to a tactical stock in all tactical situations. The ergos are slightly compromised but being able to roll it upside down and easily access the loading port is a big deal. So now "tactical" shotgun stocks are generally purchased by people who don't know any better and turkey hunters.

As a side note, at various points in the history of guns and arms there have been times when competition drove tactics in combat and other times when combat experience drove tactics in competition. We are and have been for 25 years in an era where techniques and tactics developed for competition are being used in real combat. The 3-gun way of shooting a shotgun is being adopted by people who shoot at 2 way ranges.

I know I'm diverging off into shotguns, but it demonstrates that functionally, once you fit it to yourself, a traditional stock doesn't have many disadvantages. Sure I'd rather have a standard AR. But if compliance forces me to choose between this and an AR that is neutered with a fixed mag or disabled gas system, I'd pick the fully functional traditionally stocked rifle all day, any day.

View attachment 861216

I like your take on this topic. Not giving up my AR's but the absolute quickest shooting I do is for bird hunting. If you want to drop a grouse you need split second timing and good second shots are rare. Conventional ergos seem to be the way to go for instinctive, first shot hits. Also agree that a conventional ergo rifle is the right choice vs. a fixed mag AR.

That said, it would be funny as hell to show up to a WMA with an AR style shotgun.

I like your take on this topic. Not giving up my AR's but the absolute quickest shooting I do is for bird hunting. If you want to drop a grouse you need split second timing and good second shots are rare. Conventional ergos seem to be the way to go for instinctive, first shot hits. Also agree that a conventional ergo rifle is the right choice vs. a fixed mag AR.

That said, it would be funny as hell to show up to a WMA with an AR style shotgun.
It would be interesting. It would probably make a good turkey gun since a turkey gun is aimed, not pointed, as in traditional wing shooting.

As someone who likes shooting shotguns at flying things, I've never had any interest in developing my skills for "tactical" shotgun. Shooting at 10 pieces of steel at 30 ft with a shotgun while learning how to quad load has zero interest for me.

IMHO yes there are some inbred hillbillies in the sticks that will poach deer in the offseason, but for the most part serious hunters f-ing hate poachers. The average IQ of the guys getting busted for spotlighting deer decoys is probably MENSA level minus 100 points.
You need to understand that the word "poach" has absolutely zero meaning now.

Back in the old days, it was synonymous with unethical hunting. That is not the case anymore.

Hunting laws have gotten so restrictive that you can be engaged in absolutely 100% ethical hunting and still be poaching. Remember that paying the Government for the "right" to hunt your own property isn't the difference between right and wrong.

A friend who lives in CT refuses to pay the state for "permission" to take deer from his own land. He takes the deer in-season using humane methods.
100% ethical. 100% poaching. My suggestion to you is to try to start using the term "unethical hunting" when describing the worst aspects of poaching.

IMHO this includes things like.
1) taking game out of season when the season is chosen based on science based criteria around mating and migration. If it's arbitrary, then it's irrelevant as far as ethical hunting is concerned.
2) taking game off property you don't have a right to be on
3) takin excessive amounts of game.
4) taking game using inhumane methods.

This is poaching in the traditional sense.

View attachment 861216

Agreed about shotgun use and how competition and combat feed each other,

But the benefits of the shotgun from the traditional stock are because of the loading mechanism. For mag-fed rifles all it gets you is a slightly easier form factor to stow and carry without a sling. And the carrying part is only applicable with a short magazine.

A traditional stock is going to result in more muzzle climb, reducing split times and make it less comfortable with a short length of pull to accommodate squared off shooting for close quarters. And preventing you from adjusting to go from a short LOP squared off stance to a longer LOP for precision shooting.

Back
Top Bottom