• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What muzzle brake for Sig MCX (Mass compliant) help?

frayedends

NES Member
I just ordered a Sig MCX Patrol. Pretty much my first rifle in a long time and I didn't really shoot much when I had a rifle. But anyhow the Sig comes with a flash hider. I have to supply the FFL with a muzzle brake to replace the flash hider and be pinned on. I have no idea what the rules are, etc. I'd love for recommendations of what I can buy and have sent to the FFL that would work well for this rifle and be compliant.

Brakes suck for shooting at a range. And they don’t really offer any benefit on 5.56 because it already has almost no recoil.

Look at a comp instead. BCM Mod 0, 2A Arms T3 comp, or Battlecomp.

the 2A T3 comp is excellent. i've shot it side-by-side with an A2 hider and it feels similar in terms of blast. it also looks sharp and is cheaper than most.

The BCM Mod 0, 2A Arms T3 comp is compliant in Mass? I don't know much about the law in Mass regarding comps, flash hiders, brakes etc. It's all new to me. I just noticed the Mod 0 says flash reduction.

The BCM Mod 0, 2A Arms T3 comp is compliant in Mass? I don't know much about the law in Mass regarding comps, flash hiders, brakes etc. It's all new to me. I just noticed the Mod 0 says flash reduction.
The law doesn't define anything. The existing precedent basically hinges on what it's called by the manufacturer. Thus if it's marketed as a brake, comp, or thingamajig your good to go. If it's marketed as a flash hider, you're looking at death plus cancer.

The law doesn't define anything. The existing precedent basically hinges on what it's called by the manufacturer. Thus if it's marketed as a brake, comp, or thingamajig your good to go. If it's marketed as a flash hider, you're looking at death plus cancer.

I've heard from more than one person in MA the test is the following.... will a pinky finger fit in the hole of the device? If the answer is "yes" then there's a good chance it's considered an FH and not legal.

Granted this is purely HEARSAY and god only knows how courts see it. I stopped caring years ago. But for those who do care, it's probably not a horrible baseline to consider.

I've heard from more than one person in MA the test is the following.... will a pinky finger fit in the hole of the device? If the answer is "yes" then there's a good chance it's considered an FH and not legal.

Granted this is purely HEARSAY and god only knows how courts see it. I stopped caring years ago. But for those who do care, it's probably not a horrible baseline to consider.
My pinky or the cop's? Maybe Glidden has a calibrated pinky analog...

If my muzzle device is getting inspected, I'm already in trouble.

At the same time, this is useful data to be aware of.

There are a number of good comps clones of the Battlecomp, and i prefer those over any other comp. I also like linear comps a lot.

My favorite dont know if they are available

I’ve used the Bravo Company Manufacturing BCMGUNFIGHTER Compensator Mod 0 - 1/2x28 on both my Tavor and my MCX. They're advertised strictly as a comp and pass the “pinky test”. What I like about them is that from the side they look just like a standard A2 flash hider and they don’t add much additional blast/niose compared to a traditional A2.

BCM Gunfighter at Primary Arms

PA has no problem shipping them to MA.

I have a Lantac Dragon on one of my barrels. It's a little expensive, but I got a deal. It works, but on a .223/5.56mm barrel, it's not like you actually need it.

Where muzzle device makes more of a difference for .223 is when you start getting into short barrel territory.

The MCX comes with a taper behind the muzzle, you will want a 90* shoulder adaptor if you are not using a tapered muzzle device.

Back
Top Bottom