SIG Sauer will sell a limited release MCX-SPEAR in 277 Sig Fury

Is it though? Sig is selling the cross in 277 Fury, they can make it a legit cartridge.
Sure, it’s possible. I wouldn’t put money on it though. But I was thinking this limited edition MCX Spear itself would be like the YF-23, if the Sig doesn’t get adopted. Not the platform in general, but that edition that is supposed to be a semi-auto copy of the NGSW.

But it’s all kinda moot because one could swap the Spear barrel with another caliber very easily if 277 was hard to find.

And I do think the Sig NGSW has a very good chance of being selected.

I don’t understand your whole post, but if you wanted a non-semi AR, just remove the gas tube and block off the gas port. Turns into a bolt action gun with spring return.

Its a semi bolt action without having to pull your head out of the way to use the conventional charging handle.
Some states, like california I think, listed the conventional charging handle as extra killy, so a side charge was a work around because it didn't fit the ban description.

For a sample size of one (me) and my right handed take: I like keeping my strong hand on the grip and controls and using my support hand on the charging handle and mags. I just find this easier to do with a left side charger than a standard AR ambi, particularly with my lower that has a bolt catch lever on the right that I can lock/release with my right hand index finger while manipulating the charging handle with my left. One could also theoretically keep a sight picture while charging with a left size charger, not that this would come up often.

I think this Spear with both options is a bit overkill though.
I have a right-handed rifle where the side charger is on the left and another that has it on the right. I can't make sense of it.

I have a right-handed rifle where the side charger is on the left and another that has it on the right. I can't make sense of it.

There are some simple side chargers that utilize an AK-like charging handle that is directly attached to the bolt like an AR180. Those often (not always) are on the right side because the charging handle action space is also the ejection port when the charging handle is attached to the bolt. Non-reciprocating charging handles are often ambi (switchable) or on the left. But neither design is written in stone, so you see some oddities.

Seems like a Limited Edition money grab to help recoup R&D costs for the Army solicitation.
Pretty much.

The release does not really go into it, but this is a "collector" model release and there will be a shooter to follow at a "reasonable" price. Though I am sure we can argue who finds that price reasonable, but it will be much less than this one.

Any guess if this bi-metal high pressure ammo will be reloadable?
Can't speak to the bonded hybrid version but the standard casing is absolutely reloadable.

Pretty much.

The release does not really go into it, but this is a "collector" model release and there will be a shooter to follow at a "reasonable" price. Though I am sure we can argue who finds that price reasonable, but it will be much less than this one.
Yup. And interestingly, the first regular release will be the MCX Raptor, which will be a 13” pistol variant rather than a 16”

Can't speak to the bonded hybrid version but the standard casing is absolutely reloadable.

Holy crap. I knew the hybrid case would allow higher pressure, but the 150gr hybrid is more than 1000fps faster than the 130gr normal brass version from a 16” barrel.

Edit: though the full brass cased version seems more anemic than it should be. I think the actual velocity of a normal full brass cased version should sit somewhere between the two.

Last edited:
This is the ideal way to buy for me. It's a much easier and affordable route to an SBR.
Yup. Plus after it’s an SBR you can swap a brace back on it if you need to travel to a no-SBR state or need to travel before getting approval from our AFT overlords. Pistol-first SBRs are win-win all around.

Holy crap. I knew the hybrid case would allow higher pressure, but the 150gr hybrid is more than 1000fps faster than the 130gr normal brass version from a 16” barrel.

Edit: though the full brass cased version seems more anemic than it should be. I think the actual velocity of a normal full brass cased version should sit somewhere between the two.

Yeah, that ball seems pretty lame considering you need to buy a $7k gun to shoot it and those "cheaper" rounds are still $34/mag.

Your missing your combat ribbon from the moms basement campaign against mice and other rodents.
So you're saying there's rat shot available in .277 SIG FURY?

I don’t understand your whole post, but if you wanted a non-semi AR, just remove the gas tube and block off the gas port. Turns into a bolt action gun with spring return.
Love to be a fly on the wall when
the guys down in Ballistics try to figure out why
the gun Marsha sent them for her Line in the Sand prosecution
gets a Failure to Extract on Every. Damned. Shot.
[dance]

What’s that small black switch above (and slightly left of) the magazine release?
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

80,000 PSI for the hybrid versus 65,000 PSI for the standard brass case.

Back
Top Bottom