• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maybe just a wee bit too much powder - Boom!

Not mine, but luckily the guy who owned this is OK…
Same here. Let me set the scene. Working as an RSO during “public shooting”. Young guy shooting rapid-fire (No rapid-fire allowed). I’m making my way down to his firing point to remind him of the Range SOPs. I’m about 20 ft. away when Boom! The shooter was shocked and his hands were red as hell and stinging but other than that, the greatest injury was to his wallet. He kept lamenting that he just paid $1200 for the pistol.

So here’s how it went down:

New shooter shooting a new (to him) gun with a recoil impulse he was unfamiliar with.

Shooting rapid-fire.

Shooting reloads.

Had a squib load (unclear how slide was able to cycle).

Made a pipe bomb.

Pressed trigger.

Shit pants.

Oh ya…It was a Fo’tay.

Attachments

• 995C4EA9-3FEF-494F-BF56-89EC2F69A825.jpeg
    995C4EA9-3FEF-494F-BF56-89EC2F69A825.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 76DAE12E-A6CD-4A58-97D6-7133851E48F2.jpeg
    76DAE12E-A6CD-4A58-97D6-7133851E48F2.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 108
  • DE173A9C-5346-4812-B992-4A976DA414AD.jpeg
    DE173A9C-5346-4812-B992-4A976DA414AD.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 108
So do we have to notify anyone we no longer own this gun ?
I'm only asking for any democrat gun owners.
There is a process to destroy a gun.

But that gun is still a gun in legal terms. It can still fire. The frame, from that angle, looks OK. I would send it to get a new cylinder.

Last edited:
When I broke my Dan Wesson revolver, I just sent the whole things back to DW to be replaced. Though they did reuse the shroud, hammer, trigger, and cylinder. Replaced frame and barrel.

When I broke my Dan Wesson revolver, I just sent the whole things back to DW to be replaced. Though they did reuse the shroud, hammer, trigger, and cylinder. Replaced frame and barrel.
MR replaced the barrel, sight, sight screw (charged me for a screw) and everything else that broke.

2 weeks later and it was home with me.

Same here. Let me set the scene. Working as an RSO during “public shooting”. Young guy shooting rapid-fire (No rapid-fire allowed). I’m making my way down to his firing point to remind him of the Range SOPs. I’m about 20 ft. away when Boom! The shooter was shocked and his hands were red as hell and stinging but other than that, the greatest injury was to his wallet. He kept lamenting that he just paid $1200 for the pistol.

New shooter shooting a new (to him) gun with a recoil impulse he was unfamiliar with.

Shooting rapid-fire.

Shooting reloads.

Made a pipe bomb.

Pressed trigger.

Shit pants.

Oh ya…It was a Fo’tay.
$1200 for that? LOL

I was shooting in a sand pit decades ago when I hear BOOK, BOOM BOOM from the next pit over. Local guy I knew had a nice S&W model 29.
He was using the plastic cartridge box to bang on the ejector rod to get the spent casings out. He told me his brother loaded them. "He scooped a case full of powder & seated the bullet on top."
I informed him that that was a strong revolver, but if he kept it up, he WOULD blow it up.

I then requested that he wait until I was back in the pit next door before he resumed.
I saw him yesterday and he still had all 10 fingers but I forgot to ask about the revolver. 😉

The Ruger is a very strong gun so I'm guessing a case full of fast pistol powder by mistake. Maybe something like Bullseye when he meant to use 296. I think you can fit about 4 charges of Bullseye in a .44 magnum case.

Shooting rapid-fire.

Shooting reloads.

Made a pipe bomb.

Pressed trigger.

Shit pants.

Oh ya…It was a Fo’tay.

Rapid fire ban??? What is considered rapid fire??? Is it "no sounding like a machine gun" or the Fudd "you should lower your pistol completely and raise it back up again as if you were shooting Bullseye"????

As far as this guy, depends. He could have double-bulletted the case as well. You'd THINK you'd notice another 250gr in the case. But maybe not.

A guy on one of the cowboy shooting magazines did that many years ago. The lead loob got gunked in his seating die and one bullet got stuck. Next case. . . . TWO BULLETS!

This a-hole did it TWICE. Admitted freely that he drank while reloading. Took a replica Colt and turned it inside out with that move.

It's hard to screw up powder THAT bad and either

A) not notice that your barely-amount of powder is now FULL IN THE CASE
B) not blow up the gun multiple times because you made a WHOLE BATCH of ammo with the wrong powder.

It can happen. But, assuming you are progressive reloading, the former case is actually easier to screw up than the latter.

Rapid fire ban??? What is considered rapid fire??? Is it "no sounding like a machine gun" or the Fudd "you should lower your pistol completely and raise it back up again as if you were shooting Bullseye"????
lmao yeah it’s lame. But when the club has a CMP rifle match and you have 10+ people firing at once, does that “sound” differently than one person “rapid firing”?
It’s unfortunate as I shoot IDPA/USPSA and those clubs obviously don’t have “rapid fire” bans.
I’d bet my “rapid fire” would beat the accuracy of 90% of the club members shooting at a bullseye rate of fire 😂

Back
Top Bottom