• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

mauser

I need some help from a mauser professional. Is there anybody out there that could help before I post this question?

Ok here it goes. Does anybody know someone I could get in touch with to send my bolt to that will heat it and bend it down? I know they have jigs to do this just wanted to send it out to get it done.

Any names or info will help a lot....thanks

Do you have a straight bolt Gewehr 98? I am pretty sure you can get a turned down bolt from a Karabiner 98 and it will work just fine. I see tons of Karabiner bolts for sale in great shape.

You don't want to butcher an all matching Mauser type by heating and bending the bolt. If anything bring the rifle and a headspace field gauge to a gun show and check out some already turned down bolts. You can often find one for cheap money, much less than what someone will charge you for heating and bending a bolt handle.

Amen brother!! +1 on not bending the original bolt if the rifle is all matching. Check e-gunparts.com for a stripped bolt as they are very easy to take apart. Also, if your Mauser is a turn of the century model it more than likely shoots the older 8x57 IS ammo, which is a .318 diameter projectile. The current production 8x57 JS shoots a .323 diameter projectile and because of the older IS (.318 projectile) rifles the production factory ammo (Remington, Winchester, etc.) is loaded to a much lower power than what the K98k rifles of WW2 are capable of handling and that is because if the .323 ammo is fired through a .318 bore it can only be done so safely at lower pressures.

You don't want to butcher an all matching Mauser type by heating and bending the bolt. If anything bring the rifle and a headspace field gauge to a gun show and check out some already turned down bolts. You can often find one for cheap money, much less than what someone will charge you for heating and bending a bolt handle.

+2, don't butcher an old original bolt, rather get a bent Karabiner bolt and make sure of the headspace.

Re 8x57 I / IS / JS:
The old .318 round is the 8x57 I, the .323 is the IS or (as on Norma headstamps) JS.
Keep off of firing an IS round through the old .318 bore!

I agree with the others that it would be a CRIME to bubba a nice, matching mauser. HOWEVER - if this is a beat-up parts rifle with no real collectibility, there is a local guy who professionally BENDS bolts. Contact info here:

http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/boltman/bolt_work/

If you decide not to bend the existing bolt, this guy might have some bent bolts you can buy instead. Worth a call!

Back
Top Bottom