Mauser question?

With so many different 8mm mausers do you just have one or are you trying to collect them all one at a time when there available. Are you happy with just one 8mm?

It was dry for quite sometime for finding the 7mm mausers too. They they seem to show up lately.

At first I was going to collect alll the different mausers but when i found out there are 1,000 different mausers I kind of settled to what i can find. I like the 8mm's but my second love in bolt actions is the small bores too like the 7mm mauser(7x57) and the 6,5mm swede(6,5x55). I like the recoil on the small ring mausers we can shoot them all day and they still have the power. The 7mm mauser is one of the flatest shooting rounds there is too. Using a 125yd zero the bullet path varies about a 1/2" from the muzzle to 125yds. thats very impressive for a 100year old round.

I'd really like to find a 7.65 Argentine to go with my Vz24, a 7MM Spaniard, an FN mauser in .30-06, and an old junker to convert to 7.62x51 NATO, and another shot out junker to work into a .223.

I see the 7,65 Arg mausers time to time at gun shows but there very pricey lately. I picked up a reworked carbine that was done in the 50's or 60's by Ye Old Gun shop in La. It looks like an engineering carbine but the swept back bolt is a dead give away it was reworked. They took many of these long barreled mausers and reworked them so there are a lot of them still around. I see them all the time being passed off as orginals. They look like a swede '94(same size). I may rebarrel it to 6,5 swede for a sporter.

You can find barreled receivers at that place in Fla. I picked up a new looking 24/47 for a project but it looked so good I purchased a stock in excellent condition from numrich with metal and assembled it to orginal condition.

Nashmack said:
I'd really like to find a 7.65 Argentine to go with my Vz24, a 7MM Spaniard, an FN mauser in .30-06, and an old junker to convert to 7.62x51 NATO, and another shot out junker to work into a .223.
Last week I was outbid of the K98k size engineers carbine of the 1909 Argentino[angry]
Would have fitted nicely in between the long rifle and the short carbine I have.[crying]
Now looking at a Peruvian 1909 rifle[wink]
Just the different versions built for South/Latin American countries would make a large collection on their own.

+1
add Ludwig Olson's "Mauser Bolt Rifles" to that, and you can't stop drooling.

So far I ended up with

4 K98k in 8x57 IS (bnz.41, S/42 1937, 1937 and 1941 Portuguese)
1 M43 Spanish Sta. Barbara in .308
1 FN M30-11 Sniper in .308
1 1908 Brazil in 7x57
1 M94 Swede in 7x57
2 1909 Argentino in 7.65x53
1 M96 Swede in 6.5x55
1 M94 Swede in 6.5x55

and I have the least of what I want.
Missing at least an M38 Swede, a whole bunch of K98k's and as many Latinos.

I've got a cople of Swede M96 rifles in 6.5, and an Argentine 1891 in 7.65, but for the most part mine are all standard 8mm Mauser. K98s, M48s, VZ24, Turks, M24/47, etc. etc. I actually have more Mauser types than Mosins. Every time I find a diferent one, or hear of one that I don't have, like the Czech 98/29 I just got, I just gotta get one.[grin]

I just noticed that a .270 has the same case head diameter as an 8MM, IIRC I can still get a barrell for short money with the .270 chamber...that might make a nice deer rifle with Lyman peep sights...

I just saw a really nice looking Spanish 1916 in 7MM the other day, I thought all of these were rebarrelled to .308, but alas I could be wrong. It's absolutely beautiful as most Spanish Mausers seem to be, it has a flamed stock (looks kinda like my old Gibson Les Paul that I used to have!) Has anybody else noticed this on the Spanish Mausers?

Juergen, I noticed you're from Deutschland, what's collecting milsurps like over there? Do you have a nice selection? What are the laws like?

Gunlaws are pretty much comparable to what they are in MA - we need a permit for everything.
Once a collector's permit is obtained, things are easier.
CCW is a big no no here.
Selection is pretty good, but it looks like it's even better in the U.S.
No wonder, as our fathers had to drop them twice and G.I. Joe
picked them up[smile]

JuergenG said:
Sweet !
Is it matching ? That's scarce or very pricey nowadays.

Yes, matching except the cleaning rod. Gewehr 98s with matching bolts are unusual in the U.S., as far as I can tell.
Condition is fair, with the top of the barrel and receiver rings well-pitted. Still shoots fine, though.
When I bought it, it probably hadn't been fired since 1918.[grin]
Shooting heavy ball, the only kind of surplus ammo I have, presents problems, since the sights are regulated for light ball.
JT

JuergenG said:
Gunlaws are pretty much comparable to what they are in MA - we need a permit for everything.
Once a collector's permit is obtained, things are easier.
CCW is a big no no here.
Selection is pretty good, but it looks like it's even better in the U.S.
No wonder, as our fathers had to drop them twice and G.I. Joe
picked them up[smile]

Yeah but yours aren't filled with importer marks are they?

On the auction sites there's a glitch in doing searches.

Example; If you search for a French MAS 49/56 you can do it a few different ways like MAS 49/56, or MAS French 49/56 or 49/56 french.

My point is not all the rifles listed will come up with one way of wording it. I find myself sometimes i'm the only bidder by wording it different on my searches. I picked up a 1908 7mm brazilian mauser for $150 with muzzle cap and bayo. Again i was the only bidder and soon after the prices hit $400. I wanted to get another one but the higher prices done me in. You can still get some deals if we take the time and do different searches we can end up being the only bidder and sometimes this stuff goes unnoticed. We have to go into these auction sites well aware of the tricks we can do to our advantage.

There are still a few spanish 7mm mausers out there that weren't changed over to 308. The swede m94 in 7mm was manufactured for Venezuela. There was a site on the net who had them for $500 non matching to $750 for matching.

I got lucky a while back I found two rifles that i was sure i'd never see nor find. I found an all matching swede m96 mauser and a 95 chilean 7mm mauser 29" barrel and even all the wood matches too. We only hear of these rifles but we never see them and i would of bet my life i'd never have one but i found both by accident. I answered a local news paper add for a Ljungman and a rasheed and the guy pulls out an all matching swede m96 too. At the durham gun show the guy had a 95 chilean mauser sitting behind his table kind of out of site and on my first pass I spotted it and on my second pass I purchased it. I later found out even the wood matches too its all serial numbered together. I never thought lightening would strike twice but the C&R Gods were with me i guess. I don't even shoot them nor handle them too much except for oiling them down once in a while there safe queens.

I happen to be in one gun shop when a guy turned in his collection I got a few goodies that were cheap. My 1891 arg is one of then but he also had some FN49's, a SVT 40 Tokarev and a mauser from Peru I tried to buy up what i could from that collection but i passed on the P14's and P17's I was dumb.

Last edited:
I have two M-48 Yugo's, one is museum quality and my shooter is in excellent condition, these are my favorite Mauser as they're a medium action. I also have a half dozen Turk Mausers, 1893,1903 and 1938 models.

@BB
The Peruvian 1909 I'm currently looking for is advertised as an Argentino.
Also, the is a bnz.43 single rune out there, where the sellers seems to have no idea of what he's got. Our luck, sometimes.
There are a lot of examples like that, when it comes to estate sales of passed hunters over here.
Dealers buy the entire lot cheaply, and some of them got no clue, other than
for the Drillings and hunting rifles.

I just talked to one of the members of my church on Wednesday night, who just so happens to be a part time employee at State Line in Plaistow (not to be confused with Stateline in Mason!). He said they have a few FR7s and FR8s in stock![shocked] These have to be my favorite Mausers of all time! I literally cried when my FR7 swallowed a Field Reject guage...I'm thinking a nice FR8 based on the M43 action is just what the doctor ordered to cure my seperation anxiety! Ahh, who doesn't love a nice Mauser with an actual usable rear sight and large detatchable birdcage flash hider?

I can remember seeing the FR8 muzzle sticking up in a local C&R gun shop here years ago. It was the muzzle that caught my eye but i never purchased one. The shop was the "meriden trading post" he had wall to wall C&R's like everything you could think of from mausers to mosins, from M1 garands to '03 springfields he had them all. He had racks about 20' long filled with each C&R in every row. Talk about anxiety but it was like being in heaven at the sametime. Too bad I believe it was the new stupid gun laws here that closed him up. I sure miss that shop it was life before the net and it was still one stop shopping. He had all the surplus military ammo you could think of too. I can remember seeing boxes of 8mm lebel too. I did get some spanish 9mm and some FN 8mm which i still have in my stash. The surplus ammo was expensive back then too. I paid $15 for 70rds of FN 8mm ammo and that was 3 decades ago and we have had it good for the past 2 decades with surplus ammo prices too. Someday we'll look back at these as the good old days for sure.

I have a brand new m48 yugo still unshot and i may keep it that way and buy a shooter grade to shoot it. They look so purdy when there new i hate to take them out and shoot them.

Have you seen some of the prices on the south american mausers lately? The price doesn't even match the condition of some of these too its getting out of wack for sure.

Last edited:
Scored !
The K98k bnz.43 single rune is mine !
Metal is matching, except bayo lug which has been replaced.
bnz43l.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, all matching too!

I have a Single Rune BNZ, but the ones here are all Russian re-works with mixmaster parts!

That's a mighty fine gun and would probably net close to $5K here in the US (just an educated guess) since they are as rare as hen's teeth.

Enjoy!!

LenS said:
Damn, all matching too!

I have a Single Rune BNZ, but the ones here are all Russian re-works with mixmaster parts!

That's a mighty fine gun and would probably net close to $5K here in the US (just an educated guess) since they are as rare as hen's teeth.

Enjoy!!
This pic is taken from the auction board I got it from.
The seller hadn't loaded closeups onto the auction, so it attracted
only a few bidders and he really didn't know, what he had.
He was selling off an estate......
Looks, like the stock has been replaced, but fitted with all the
metal of the original gun.
It has been re-proofed in 1969 and carries the original distributor's mark (legal req.).
It sat on a permit for grandfathered guns issued in 1974 (from '73 they had
to be registered).
Now, it was only $ 570[laugh2]

Back
Top Bottom