Mauser question?

The Goose

NES Member
I have been considering getting a Mauser, probably 8mm. Whats around these days, what is a good value? I am looking for a shooter not a collector's piece. There seems to be so many different models out there.

If you are looking for a shooter the yugo 24/47's are hard to beat. Most were refurbed in 1947 and then put in storage. (Many with new barrels). There are plenty around so they don't have a high collector value, but they are good shooters. I paid $130 for mine including the handpick fee and s&h and I am very happy with it.

There's Turkish Mausers out there for CHEAP money - I think I saw them going for under $60 in one place (PM me for details, but you'll have to wait until I get home for the specifics...) [smile]

Otherwise a German Mauser should set you back anywhere from $150 - $500 and up...

Ok, scratch ordering direct, unless you want to have something shipped to an FFL and pay the transfer, but with the shipping and transfer fee, you're just about at gun show/shop prices.

Whats hot right now are the Yugo 24/47s. They're similar to the K98 Mauser, only the handguard is past the rear sight and they have a straight bolt. They're fairly inexpensive at around $120 being a good price. Like mentioned they're also pretty accurate, most are still brand new condition unless you get a shooter grade, and they usually come with a bayonet and ammo pouch.

Then there are the Russian capture K98 Mausers that seem to be everywhere now. These are more expensive at around $250 to $300 for an average price. They're WW2 German K98 Mausers with bent bolts and short handguards that were refurbed by the Russians. With a little work you can return them to almost true form like when issued to the Nazis.

Theres also Yugo M48s here and there. These were plentiful a couple of years ago, but are drying up now. They're shorter length Mausers with bent bolts and full length handguards. Diferent models are M48, M48A and M48B. The M48 has all machined parts, the M48A has a stamped mag floorplate and I think trigger guard, and the M48B has more stamped parts including the barrel bands. Theres also an M48BO which is basically a B with no crest on the reciever because they were manufactured for another country but never made it there. The M48B models tend to have a smoother action I think.

For a while Yugo 98 Mausers were around. These are German K98s that were refurbed by the Yugoslavians. They often have the receiver scrubbed of any German markings and a Yugo crest stamped on top. Theres usually a Nazi eagle here and there found on these that they left behind. These are pretty scarce now.

Then you have your Czech Mausers like the VZ24 and 98/22. The VZ24 is a carbine length model and very well made, and the 98/22 is a Czech version of the Persian long Mauser. Czech Mausers are known to be great shooters and have smooth actions.

As far as Turk Mausers go, the only bad thing about them is the info on using certain ammo in them. Certain models can be iffy when shot with high pressure loads. I'm pretty sure its the older small ring Mauser types. Turks were often made from various long Mausers like Gew98s, 98/22s, and other old Turk Mausers. They were rechambered for 8mm and thats where a lot of the bad publicity of these rifles comes from. If you get a Turk, its easy to find info on what type you have and whether or not its safe for high pressured ammo. Oddly enough Turk 8mm ammo is some of the hottest 8mm ammo out there, go figure. One of my most accurate Mausers is a Turk. I can get 5 shots in a quarter sized group at 50 yards on a good day with it using milsurp ammo.

Mausers like any rifle will shoot diferent depending on ammo. Carbine length Mausers like the K98, 24/47, etc. will shoot better with Yugoslavian 8mm ammo, and long barrel Mausers like the Turks and 98/22s will shoot better with Romanian 8mm ammo. I've been told this is due to bullet weight but I don't reload or check ammo specs so I can't tell you why or how. I just know after using milsurp ammo for so many years I've found it to make sense.

If you do want a shooter Mauser and one thats collectable, go for a nice condition Yugo with bayonet and accessories and get some milsurp Yugo 8mm ammo. Its at all the gun shows and is pretty cheap.
If you want to make sure you're not paying too much for one, get a copy of Shotgun News and check the prices from diferent dealers against what you see at a local shop or show. Just expect to pay $20 to $30 more but given the fact that you can inspect the rifle for bore, crown condition, and matching numbers, its usually worth it.

Mauser

Goose,

Am certain you'll love the Mauser. I've had mine for 5 years and picked it up at Four Seasons in Woburn, "new," and for short money.

Used the 194 grain commercial ammo and it almost took my arm off. Went to the 156 grain corrosive stuff and am having a ball. Still a lot of punch and kick in the rifle. It is claimed that it can shoot through 8" of cast iron. Haven't tried it yet...

Keep it clean, check it every 6 weeks or so and the bore will shine, shine. shine. Have only been using iron sites, and have had satisfactory results. Four Seasons is "temporarily out of stock," but if you keep an eye out on their site (http://fsguns.com/fsg_used.html), you won't be sorry you did. If I see any other good sources, such as XXXX where you can get one right away for cheap money, I'll forward them to you.

Have fun!
InTheBlack

Last edited by a moderator:
InTheBlack... its always good to help other NESrs with links but publically posting links to companies that sell C&R goods to Massachusetts residents isn't allowed due to problems our AG has given C&R dealers. Several companies have stopped shipping here because of leaked info gotten a hold of by Massachusetts gun grabbing politicians.

Goose if you want to take a ride up to Collector,s Millitere on Rt38 in Pelham
NH, thay have the Yugo 24/47 Mauser with the Bayonet,Ammo Pouch.oiler,
and tool for $150.00 they look in unissued Condition!! and if you dont have
all the cash they will lay it away for you!! plus no tax.
cant beat that.

Just my 2 Penny,s Sheriff Dudley

True, Terry always has nice Mausers for sale. Some in practically unissued condition. I got one from him at one of the first gun shows I ever went to. If you go to Marlboro you can't miss his tables. Hes the one with lots of rifles still in cosmolene on the tables, and dozens stacked up in racks at the end of the tables. Biggest milsurp assortment at the shows. Even though most are beaters, he still has some arsenal reworks.

Goose if you want to take a ride up to Collector,s Millitere on Rt38 in Pelham
NH, thay have the Yugo 24/47 Mauser with the Bayonet,Ammo Pouch.oiler,
and tool for $150.00 they look in unissued Condition!! and if you dont have
all the cash they will lay it away for you!! plus no tax.
cant beat that.

Just my 2 Penny,s Sheriff Dudley

Was this post made from somewhere warm?

JonJ you must have felt the heat comeing of my key-board, it is 81Deg,s
as i speak. Yup im in Daytona right now got on Flip-Flops, Shorts, and a T-shirt!! and as a matter of fact i just took my Yugo 24/47 and a ton of Ammo
out of the safe in the back of my truck along with a .22 bolt gun that i will play with at the local range i bring alot more guns when i come for the winter but i will probably be here just for about a month or so depends if i can sell the house quickly, so that has to show sombody how good i think the 24/47
is and as a matter of fact i got this one from Terry Good in Pelham N.H.
and as my buddy says, ( " its a Yankee Gun " ) " She.s a Keepa "
Take a ride down JJ got plenty of room!!
Take Care Sheriff Dudley aka AL

I would lean more towards a like new M48 if you can find one for a reasonable price. There were tons of these imported over the last 6 years. Almost all of them were new. The Egyptian M48 is another good one to grab. I have one with a dark stock and it is in brand new condition.

Back
Top Bottom