Massachusetts Rifle Association - Woburn, MA

Hey Folks,
I am thinking about joining Mass Rifle, but I am concerned about the amount of people who belong, does it often get crowded enough to produce waits (particularly in the indoor ranges)?
Thanks, - Jeff

Hey Folks,
I am thinking about joining Mass Rifle, but I am concerned about the amount of people who belong, does it often get crowded enough to produce waits (particularly in the indoor ranges)?
Thanks, - Jeff

Depends on what time you plan on going. I usually go late in the evening and never have any problems getting a lane.

I would have thought that would be a busy time, oh well sounds great for me. Is there still a two month wait on membership?
Thanks, - Jeff

Anybody get this morning's email announcement?

[Mass Rifle Announcement]Spring Black Power Tournament This Sunday
Spring Black Power Tournament
Sunday, April 29
10:00AM - 12:00PM

Sounds fun! Here's me winning second place in last year's tournament:
j3EGs.jpg

edit: they fixed it :)

Last edited:
Does anyone know how I can qualify for the McLaughlin range? I've been a member for 3 months and I know that you can qualify with a sponsor. Is there a list I have to sign up for?

-Al

ColdDayInHell said:
I thought that it was 6 months for the 100/200 yd range and McLaughlin range but only 3 months if you were sponsored?

Go to the office and ask for an appointment for range qualification. They can give you more info. I'm not aware of any sponsored requirement, but I'm might be wrong. So, my advice is to get info from the office. Office open tonight 6-8pm and Sunday morning.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

I also let my membership expire a year ago. I was sick of the indoor range always being closed for classes . competitions and being fixed. Also I always hated it when other members would not clean up their brass and leave the club a mess. I found myself many times cleaning up all the brass and taking out the trash because other members did not. Also never found a friendly atmosphere their. Just was not worth a 170 a year.

I also let my membership expire a year ago. I was sick of the indoor range always being closed for classes . competitions and being fixed. Also I always hated it when other members would not clean up their brass and leave the club a mess. I found myself many times cleaning up all the brass and taking out the trash because other members did not. Also never found a friendly atmosphere their. Just was not worth a 170 a year.

I'm not surprised. You're not even a green member here. The MRA range is Not always closed and Not always being fixed. Hate it when people use "always", like every time you went qualifies as "always". Yeah, people could do better picking up after themselves..other ranges I've seen arent much better. You don't sound too friendly yourself. I personally haven't had trouble just starting up a conversation with people while I am there shooting. Good luck at your new club.

I'm not surprised. You're not even a green member here. The MRA range is Not always closed and Not always being fixed. Hate it when people use "always", like every time you went qualifies as "always". Yeah, people could do better picking up after themselves..other ranges I've seen arent much better. You don't sound too friendly yourself. I personally haven't had trouble just starting up a conversation with people while I am there shooting. Good luck at your new club.

Qualifies as "always" for him. Did for me, too. That was on my list of reasons for leaving.

What does his green status here have to do with anything?

Dman the sound of your attitude makes me happy. I left. What do you mean bu green. Ive been shooting since my days in the us army. Shot expert on the m16 m60 and m9. Also won some tri colors competition. If ignorant people like you belong to that club. I only see it going down hill. Stay safe

Haha. God forbid you complain and aren't green. I was a member at MRA fir like two years. Let's put it this way
I'm so happy I'm a member at Harvard. And don't ever wish to go back to mra

My apologies for the cheap shots across the bow. It was early, I was cranky and looking for a scuffle. Look, for $170 ($120 if you spend one day a year helping clean up), MRA is a bargain for inside the 128 belt. Weekends are busy and there are classes there, but the bulk of time is open time. Maybe you can only get there on weekends, when its busy. Most times during the week - its you and yourself. Can't tell you how many times I've opened and closed the place alone. I'm happy to see classes - it means more safe shooters. I'm happy to see ranges closed for repairs - its means people care and they will be open again soon and working.

My apologies for the cheap shots across the bow. It was early, I was cranky and looking for a scuffle. Look, for $170 ($120 if you spend one day a year helping clean up), MRA is a bargain for inside the 128 belt. Weekends are busy and there are classes there, but the bulk of time is open time. Maybe you can only get there on weekends, when its busy. Most times during the week - its you and yourself. Can't tell you how many times I've opened and closed the place alone. I'm happy to see classes - it means more safe shooters. I'm happy to see ranges closed for repairs - its means people care and they will be open again soon and working.

+1. MRA is a great club. And a lot of other ranges are always cluttered with spent brass all over the place. The same jackasses that don't clean up after themselves probably go home to a house where they don't clean up after themselves either. I am a neatfreak but this still irks me. If you don't like MRA don't just complain like a baby and go somewhere else.

Dman no problem. I get cranky just the same. Also im expressing a opinion. I was a member of the mra. Not being a baby just expressing a Opinion. Ive gone to the mra at all hours and found it wasn't for me. I don't think thats acting like a baby. If it changes let me know. Other than that ill be looking for another range.

Dman no problem. I get cranky just the same. Also im expressing a opinion. I was a member of the mra. Not being a baby just expressing a Opinion. Ive gone to the mra at all hours and found it wasn't for me. I don't think thats acting like a baby. If it changes let me know. Other than that ill be looking for another range.

Well if you ever want to come back let me know and I'll treat you to a Sunday breakfast. Then we can hit the shotgun range. That's usually an ok crowd. See? Friendly! ;-)

I was just there yesterday. A member and his son (presumably) ran out of target paper, so he asked to buy some off of me. I refused his money and gave him some to use [grin]

ETA: in regards to how busy they are, when I arrived, Loeb was packed. I grabbed maybe the 2nd to last open lane.... but maybe 15 - 30 mins later, I was one of 3 people left for the next hour or hour and a half..... so just depends on the timing.

Last edited:
yah, it can get busy. You learn that weekend mornings are usually busy. But inside it's 24x7 keycard access, and I can avoid the busier times. Plenty of times I don't anyone else, it's kind of nice!

The primary indoor range is closed 10x a year for classes (10 Saturdays, until around 4pm). I think there are 52 of them, so that's not so bad [smile]. Other times it's closed for a few hours are for things like steel matches, etc., for the members. They do a pretty good job of informing folks via their e-blast.

Last year it was closed for a bit for a big upgrade to the ventillation system (doesn't sound like you were there for that [wink]). This year for a few days to remove the lead from the back stop. (a million rounds a year [shocked])

It would be nice if folks didn't shoot the target carriers...but it happens. Who's fault is that? Members or their guests. [thinking]

Just saying, that a lot of work goes on there, and I've yet to run in to an a-hole. Folks I run in to just seem to be happy to be having some range time.

No club's perfect - not saying MRA is. Sorry you had a bad experience there. I'm not cranky, lol, but I've been going there for many years and have seen it evolve. It's a very active shooting club trying to do a lot to accommodate the members. JMHO

I'd be happy to have you as a guest any time [grin]

Sorry to seem to highjack this thread about something but it seemed relevant. With people always talking about others not cleaning up brass, and clubs/ranges having sometimes special containers for them, besides reloading does anyone recycle spent casings? I would think that clubs could get some kind of money for all the material. Something I always thought about after becoming a shooter.

CHARLES.

Anyone heading to the ranges this morning (Wednesday?) I'll be running rounds through my 10/22. I hear they are doing lots of upgrades to the club. I was reading the minutes from the board of directors' meetings. Sorry for the rambling. Hope to see some of you soon!

I think MRA owes more than half it's members to the fact that it is almost impossible to get into the Reading club. Which is in the same area and has much better facilities choice (not talking about everything else).

Last edited:
Anyone heading to the ranges this morning (Wednesday?) I'll be running rounds through my 10/22. I hear they are doing lots of upgrades to the club. I was reading the minutes from the board of directors' meetings. Sorry for the rambling. Hope to see some of you soon!

Are these minutes posted online anywhere? Didn't see them on MRA's site, but they might just not be up yet...

Like most clubs, since the minutes are intended for the membership they are not posted online. A copy should be available either in the office or near the sign in book.

Back
Top Bottom