Massachusetts Police Take Gun From JetBlue Pilot

Massachusetts State Police said Friday that they took a gun off a JetBlue pilot at Logan International Airport after he allegedly told an acquaintance he might harm himself.

The pilot was not charged with illegal possession of a firearm, suggesting he might be a member of the Federal Flight Deck Officers program. The post-9/11 program screens, trains, arms and deputizes pilots as a last line of aircraft security. There are reportedly 10,000 pilots carrying handguns under the program.

The conflict occurred Thursday, and the pilot was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital for evaluation. The airline refused to identify him and issued a statement saying he was removed from duty "for health-related reasons."

JetBlue also said no passengers were harmed, nor was any flight in jeopardy.

State Police spokesman David Procopio told The Associated Press a federal air marshal alerted troopers about 1:45 p.m., after the acquaintance reported a communication "that suggested a possible inclination by that person to harm himself."

Procopio said three troopers, quickly backed up by four more, confronted the pilot at a crew lounge. The pilot volunteered to undergo a medical evaluation and was taken away by ambulance.

"The subject was in possession of a firearm, which has been seized. The investigation is ongoing," said Procopio.

Asked whether the pilot was a member of the Flight Deck Officers program, Procopio said: "He was not charged with firearm possession."

The Transportation Security Administration refused to confirm whether the pilot was a member of the program, citing security concerns.

"We have an investigation ongoing, and when that is finished, we will release more details," said TSA spokesman Nelson Minerly.

SOURCE

Saw this story, with far less detail, on the news last night. It seemed curious... Now I see why. Man, I hope the squealer got it right and this guy was really suicidal.

agreed, hopefully they were right and if this guy needed help he gets it.

otherwise i hope it wasn't something taken out of context because that will screw the pilot over pretty hard.

Heard this one on the news this AM. He apparently just got dumped by his long term GF and said something along the lines of wanting to crash the plane on landing and end it all.

What is BS is that, from what I've heard, the fact that he has a gun isn't even germain to the story. He got pulled from flight status because he allegedly sent a text along the lines of 'I'm having urges to just auger in on landing' or something like that. The gun is incidental but, of course, the Herald makes it the main focus of the story.

Well, if he truly texted a statement like that, then without context this is speculative bunk. He could have meant it as a joke, the humor of which may have been lost through the texting, which happens most of the time.

As a pilot, I can tell you that most likely, anyone who may be suicidal and a pilot would probably not use such an "insider term". Don't they say that most people who intimate suicide are looking for attention and crying out for help? And by using that term, would that not add an element of ambiguity to your proposed intent?

I dunno'. Until more details surface about this case, and more true facts come to light, rather than a "I heard this guy tell a guy he was texted by his friend's friend's wife that this guy she knows sent a text to her neighbor's dog...", I'll still call BS on the idea that the pilot wanted to "end it all."

Well, if he truly texted a statement like that, then without context this is speculative bunk. He could have meant it as a joke, the humor of which may have been lost through the texting, which happens most of the time.

As a pilot, I can tell you that most likely, anyone who may be suicidal and a pilot would probably not use such an "insider term". Don't they say that most people who intimate suicide are looking for attention and crying out for help? And by using that term, would that not add an element of ambiguity to your proposed intent?

I dunno'. Until more details surface about this case, and more true facts come to light, rather than a "I heard this guy tell a guy he was texted by his friend's friend's wife that this guy she knows sent a text to her neighbor's dog...", I'll still call BS on the idea that the pilot wanted to "end it all."

Probably wasn't actually suicidal, but in light of his job, don't you think they had a requirement to take action? My point is that this isn't a gun story yet it was written as one.

Probably wasn't actually suicidal, but in light of his job, don't you think they had a requirement to take action? My point is that this isn't a gun story yet it was written as one.

Absolutely, they should be proactive and check the guy out. I figure that since the guy agreed to be evaluated he will be found to be perfectly fine.

I was about to post a P.S. saying that I totally agree, Bob, that this would not even be a story were it not for the gun. Totally incidental.

The worst part is losing your right to carry over something as stupid as breaking up with a girlfriend. Come on the guy is/was a pilot how hard can it be to find a replacement. (Note - half sarcasim but realy getting a new GF will be much easier than getting that gun back.) He must be young.

Back
Top Bottom