Massachusetts Legislature reaches 'grand bargain' on $15 minimum wage, sales tax holiday, paid leave

I want to know what their scheme will be when a huge percentage of min wage jobs are replaced by kiosks, self serve registers and vending machines, and 2/3 of the current min wage work force jobs are gone.

I want to know what their scheme will be when a huge percentage of min wage jobs are replaced by kiosks, self serve registers and vending machines, and 2/3 of the current min wage work force jobs are gone.

UBI

They don't give a shit. These asshats can't think past the immediate consequences of their actions. Anything long-term like that is just impossible for them to grasp.

They'd probably just implement some sort of "automated technology tax" or some shit.

Why not just give them $25 bucks an hour and save ourselves the trouble of having to go through this whole damn process again in another couple of years. The democrats have become the new modern day Robin Hoods, they steal from the rich and just give it to the poor and the lazy and the illegals.

Stop giving them the legitimacy of saying they are Robin Hood. Robin Hood stole from the government and gave to the poor.

So when is the tax free day this summer?
I need a new snowblower.

Mandated staffing and universal GMI.

It's going to happen anyways, regardless of what they decide the minimum wage should be. Automation cannot be stopped or even slowed down.

This seems like a giant boondoggle however I'm not sure that a $15 minimum wage is such a terrible thing by the year, what, 2022? In Massachusetts, I mean - based on the cost of living and such. The rest - blech.
its only good if everyone elses pay goes up 37% over the next five years. Other than union workers and .gov how many work ing folks pay has kept up with inflation. The wife and I .....not even close.
Back in 2001 i finally landed a job that was paying well and closer to the average at that time. I did not see my first raise for almost 10 years. What i got for a raise was 3% increase in what my employer paid into my 401k now 8 years since that i have had little of way of raises and new jobs are not paying anymore than i make now.
So basically in 5 years if i make 37% more i would be happy as long as inflation stays at about 1/2 that.
I used the inflation calculator from AIER and it shows
$100 in 2000 is $145 today as of may 2018.
If my pay kept up with inflation? Would that be nice.

i already stopped going to places that hire min wage positions
Fast food places, for tbe cost vs quality i j ust cant spend my money there.
DD and most coffee shops. The coffee just sucks for the cost.
I just said f*** it and go to cumbies for $1 its got caffine and not terrible.
Fun stuff

Last edited:
Oxymoron alert. Cumbies is a min wage place.

A problem is that every public service position will feel it has a pay cut, as in "If I was making 4x minimum before, I need a raise so I am still making 4x minimum".
I need a new snowblower.
Snowblowersdirect.com before MA figures out how to tax the sale.

Kiosk tax.

Oxymoron alert. Cumbies is a min wage place.

A problem is that every public service position will feel it has a pay cut, as in "If I was making 4x minimum before, I need a raise so I am still making 4x minimum".

Snowblowersdirect.com before MA figures out how to tax the sale.
I quess what im trying to say is im not going to DDs for a $3 coffee that sucks vs $1 for coffee thats much better , well at least the cumbies i go to is good.

It will get worse. They will blame the rich and "big corporations" for "outsourcing jobs" and start pushing even more radical policies on us.

The minimum wage raise is really a payoff to unions since their contracted wages are formula based off the minimum wage. The SIEU, AFLCIO and Teamsters are laughing all the way to the bank with taxpayer money.

Good to see Chahhhhlee Baker on board with this plan. What a dolt. He does know he's getting un-elected, right? I mean, he can't be THAT stupid to think anyone will support him anymore.

Sad to see the Ass Retailers Assn deciding to take this pile-of-crap deal. The "increased" sales they'll see from their stupid tax holiday will be far outstripped by sales continuing out-of-state and the increased payroll taxes on them.

Annd Faker signed it today

Gov. Baker signs bill hiking minimum wage, requiring paid leave

DgyUYASX4AAXROJ.jpg

I thought there was already legislation that was passed that was going to incrementally increase minimum wage over the next few years. Why do we need another bill?
So they establish a NEW TAX.....to pay for the family leave. Employers will be responsible. By taking out of OUR pay.

So when is the tax free day this summer?
I need a new snowblower.
August 2019

Thank God the paid time off from work tax is exempted for companies under 25 employees. That one had me wondering how I was going to pay it. The minimum wage increases will be passed along to the customers... Large pizza goes up a buck every year I guess. Everything will just behind more expensive lol. Good luck with that.

I can't wait for the ordering kiosks to replace the dickheads at Dunks, McDonalds, etc. who f*** up my order every single time. That's about the only positive thing about this for me.

And f*** that pay raise, right? Who really needs a pay raise? It's not like inflation is gonna make your salary worth less tomorrow than it's worth today. [rolleyes]

e2370347f9c1f8fdd7cd7cb19336ee38.jpg

The problem is that this will create a permanent underclass of unemployable people whose marginal benefit to businesses is less than the minimum wage. Then those people will apply for public benefits (disability, food stamps, etc.) and be on the taxpayer dole for the rest of their life. It's Economics 101.

its only good if everyone elses pay goes up 37% over the next five years. Other than union workers and .gov how many work ing folks pay has kept up with inflation. The wife and I .....not even close.
Back in 2001 i finally landed a job that was paying well and closer to the average at that time. I did not see my first raise for almost 10 years. What i got for a raise was 3% increase in what my employer paid into my 401k now 8 years since that i have had little of way of raises and new jobs are not paying anymore than i make now.
So basically in 5 years if i make 37% more i would be happy as long as inflation stays at about 1/2 that.
I used the inflation calculator from AIER and it shows
$100 in 2000 is $145 today as of may 2018.
If my pay kept up with inflation? Would that be nice.

Fast food places, for tbe cost vs quality i j ust cant spend my money there.
DD and most coffee shops. The coffee just sucks for the cost.
Fun stuff
You should have asked for a raise or found another job.

So they establish a NEW TAX.....to pay for the family leave. Employers will be responsible. By taking out of OUR pay.

No. NO! THat's not how it works. You see, the corporate fat cats wind up paying it. Not the workers OR the customers. That's how it works. Didn't you know that???? ;)

(In all actuality, in order to remain competitive in hiring, larger employers will just charge it all off to customers. It's more desirable than to pay workers less.)

It's nice to see the Ass Retailers Assn slitting their own throats. I have a client that works in a LARGE furniture store - said their summer total sales were a zero drop-off last year even without the Sales Tax Holiday. Basically the STH pushes 3 months of sales into a single weekend, making their jobs miserable.

Back
Top Bottom