Mass WMAs for Cottontails

I know asking for hunting areas is like asking for a newborn child or the last slice of pizza, but does anyone have any hints or know of any Mass WMAs that usually produce some good winter cottontails? I live on the zone 9/10 line. Been stomping around Unkity Brook a few times without much luck (or even signs). Appreciate any tips y’all are willing to share.

The best way to spot them is to first confirm they're around. Easiest to find some sign after a bit of snow. If you catch one out in the open. they'll typically lock up and pretend they're invisible. If you bump one, they won't go too far. But they are quick.

20191214_165417.jpg

Last edited:
If Mass is anything like PA we need a longer Bobcat season, the ability to shoot Fishers not just trap them and more people shooting Coyotes on sight. They have destroyed the Cottontail population here.

Plenty of rabbits in mass most munching on nice green lawns in the suburbs I would see 100 a night in Boston any green space they would be out eating
Try Hog hill in Sterling off Merrill rd the old Kristoff pig farm I deer hunt in there have seen rabbits and Hares.

Last edited:
Plenty of rabbits in mass most munching on nice green lawns in the suburbs I would see 100 a night in Boston any green space they would be out eating
Try Hog hill in Sterling off Merrill rd the old Kristoff pig farm I deer hunt in there have seen rabbits and Hares.
Thanks Sparkey…good to know. You also opened my eyes to DCR land. I’ve been sticking to the WMAs. Really appreciate it.

Westboro up the hill near the headquarters usually has a bunch. Bolton flats near the model airplane landing strip as well.
Thanks all for the recommendations. Snow this weekend so hopefully some good scouting oppts. See y’all out there.

Back
Top Bottom