Mass Shootings Draw Attention to ‘Drum Magazines’

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
By Ben Kesling and Zusha Elinson
Aug. 16, 2019 9:38 am ET

im-96104

"Recent mass shootings are drawing attention to drum magazines, which allow shooters to fire dozens of rounds without stopping to reload.

The round magazines, made famous by the Tommy gun from the Prohibition era, were famously unreliable and hard to use, but have recently benefited from leaps in manufacturing and design. Today, they can be legally purchased at gun stores and online in most states.

The attacker in the Dayton, Ohio, massacre earlier this month used a 100-round drum magazine made by KCI USA to fire 41 shots in less than a minute, killing nine people and injuring 17 others. The shooter in the Gilroy Garlic Festival attack in California last month that left three dead also owned one, but didn’t use it, law-enforcement officials said.

KCI didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Now, some lawmakers have renewed an effort to ban them and other high-capacity magazines for civilian use.

Rep. Dina Titus (D., Nev.), is co-sponsoring a bill that would outlaw magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds. Ms. Titus, who represents Las Vegas, previously co-sponsored a bill to ban the magazines in the wake of the 2017 attack at a country-music festival there, the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. That legislation also called for high-capacity magazines to carry serial numbers so they could be tracked. That bill never came to a floor vote.

“High-capacity magazines make it easier for shooters to kill large numbers of people in short periods of time,” Ms. Titus said in a statement. “No civilian needs the ability to fire over 40 shots in less than 30 seconds like the shooter in Dayton did.”"

Mass Shootings Draw Attention to ‘Drum Magazines’

If I had to guess, these items will be banned very shortly. Too many on the left are eager for a victory, ANY victory, and too many on the right would be willing to throw them something to appease the leftists.

And for anyone with reading comprehension problems, I am NOT supporting this. Just predicting what could happen.

Honestly shame on anyone that needs to go panic buy PMags, they are dirt cheap so there should be zero excuses for anyone in a free state to not have them stacked deep as it is.

PMAGs are still on sale lots of places. They aren’t being panic-bought. It’s mags like the okay industries surefeed mags that are being panic bought and are subsequently out of stock. For long term use in the case of grandfathered mags, polymer feed lips don’t have the lifespan people want.

That said, the surefeeds are still cheap, like the pmags.

I would argue that a bad shooter + a heavier gun = more chances to survive.

A lot of these mass shooters are not great shots. The mag adds weight to the gun. While the weight helps with recoil, it also makes the gun a little harder to handle.

A drum mag is also harder to conceal. If anything, they should be pushing for higher capacity mags instead of lower.

But we all know these arguments are all about feelings and have nothing to do with common sense.

Makes sense, since swapping magazines takes SOOOO LONG.

Oh right, GUNZ. Logic need not apply. (ya it's a pistol but someone with a little practice can reload a rifle almost as fast)

I make no claim to be fast, but I am pretty sure I can swap an AR15 mag in 2 seconds. Drop, slap, rack. Someone who on purposely practices this could probably get faster.

Besides, in all the mass shootings, I can't recall a single incident where the victims charged the shooter while he was fumbling to reload. It would seem they have all the time in the world to reload. Everyone just hides and cowers with no thought in mind to wait until the mag runs out and swarm him.

I should be able to have a M249 SAW semi-auto with no issues. And add belt fed ammo that’s 100 miles long if I want to.

I should be able to have a M249 SAW semi-auto with no issues. And add belt fed ammo that’s 100 miles long if I want to.

That is so irresponsible and dangerous!

No one NEEDS an ammo belt that is more than 10 miles long.

My dad was an armorer in WWII....it was stick mags for him - he was of the opinion that they'd not shoot anyone, regardless of what they promised as they were so damage-prone! [laugh]
You can change a lot of stick mags in the Tommy in the time that it takes to change a drum. Plus the weight to carry them. Jack.

You can change a lot of stick mags in the Tommy in the time that it takes to change a drum. Plus the weight to carry them. Jack.

Agree, the Thompson drum is as impractical as they come. I've got a couple and rarely use them, but everyone with a Thompson has to have at least one.

They are heavy when loaded, fragile, prone to denting or breakage if dropped or over wound, tedious to load, insert and remove, noisy when loaded( baby rattle), and throw the balance of the gun off.

But they are still fun as hell doing a mag dump.....[party]

Agree, the Thompson drum is as impractical as they come. I've got a couple and rarely use them, but everyone with a Thompson has to have at least one.

They are heavy when loaded, fragile, prone to denting or breakage if dropped or over wound, tedious to load, insert and remove, noisy when loaded( baby rattle), and throw the balance of the gun off.

But they are stillat fun as hell doing a mag dump.....[party]
Yes, they are fun. They are marked "Wind to 9 or 11 clicks". Never could figure out what that means. Jack.

Every drum mag I’ve used wasn’t worth the time to load it and then figure out the malfunction and unload it again to use stick mags. LOL

The idiots should mandate that all guns use unreliable drums

Every drum mag I’ve used wasn’t worth the time to load it and then figure out the malfunction and unload it again to use stick mags. LOL

The idiots should mandate that all guns use unreliable drums
Well, my Tommy gun drum is an original and has worked well for 30+ years. Maybe the after market ones have problems. Jack.

Who cares. They are just range gimmicks anyways. It’s an accessory that even the gun world thinks is a joke, a ban would be essentially meaningless. It’s all just political posturing and everyone will forget about them next week. In any case, if Hillary was president it would be worse.

Back
Top Bottom