• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass Resident with a Maine Possession Question

I am a Massachusetts LTC holder and I will be spending some time in a hotel room in Maine this weekend. Although I don't plan to CCW there, I want to bring a handgun that I will keep in a case in my room. As I understand the law, mere possession does not require a permit of any kind in Maine, but it doesn't specify if that applies to non-residents.

Thoughts?

It's fine for non-residents, too. You don't need a ME non-resident permit to possess a handgun in Maine. A ME non-resident permit is easy to get (though not in time for your trip this weekend) and worth having, IMHO.

Thanks for the reply; that's what I thought. I am planning to get a Maine non-res, as I spend a lot of time there in the summer. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thanks for the reply; that's what I thought. I am planning to get a Maine non-res, as I spend a lot of time there in the summer. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Apply for it now if you want it in the summer. Maine wasn't speedy when I applied for mine. Get a NH one as well while you are at it, so you can carry on the drive up.

I am a Massachusetts LTC holder
I don't understand why all these kinds of posts are prefaced with that. Having one is irrelevant outside of MA about 99% of the time.

As I understand the law, mere possession does not require a permit of any kind in Maine, but it doesn't specify if that applies to non-residents.
That's because, unlike MA, what is not specifically prohibited is always permissible.

Wrinkle… Possess as in CC? Loaded/unloaded? OC? Loaded/unloaded? Locked in the trunk? My understanding is that NH requires nothing to OC, a non-res permit to CC. NO idea about Maine, but time to find out...

In deference to Jose, us MA peeps are just a tad paranoid, cuz the laws here are so f-ed up that we never quite seem to have a handle on it.

I'm headed up to Maine for a quad expidition at the end of July. Will be about 7-9 days, tents, magnesium-started fires (safely of course, that stuff is nasty if you're stupid with it). I want to bring one handgun and my rifle. I'll keep the handgun stowed (locked and unloaded except at night) for the most part, but want to keep the rifle slung over my shoulder. We're headed to some rather remote areas, and I'm not a fan of "suprise" visits by the local fauna. I grew up in Alaska, so know all too well that Mr Black and Mr Brown can come-a-callin' if they get a bit interested.

I'm Mass, so naturally paranoid. In Maine, is the bear (or other grumpy animals) a worry? Enough to keep the rifle at-the-ready? IS that even viable with the [strike]poaching[/strike] public road laws?

What kind of rifle? It seems like that would be legal if no loaded mags were inserted in the rifle, no loaded handguns on vehicles without a CC permit though.

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/12/title12sec11212.html

§11212. Motor vehicles and motorboats
1. Prohibition. The following provisions apply to shooting from a motor vehicle or motorboat or possessing a loaded firearm or a crossbow in a motor vehicle.
A. A person may not shoot while in or on a motor vehicle or motorboat or while in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle except:
(1) A person may hunt migratory waterfowl from a motorboat in accordance with federal regulations;
(2) Paraplegics and single or double amputees of the legs may shoot from motor vehicles that are not in motion; and
(3) A person may shoot from a motorboat if that boat is not being propelled by its motor. [2003, c. 614, §9 (AFF); 2003, c. 655, Pt. B, §142 (AMD); 2003, c. 655, Pt. B, §422 (AFF).]
B. A person may not, while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, have a cocked and armed crossbow or a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle-loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism, except that a person who has a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer a loaded pistol or revolver covered by that permit. [2005, c. 477, §9 (AMD).]
C. A person may not possess a wild animal or wild bird taken in violation of paragraph A or B, except as otherwise provided in this Part. [2003, c. 414, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); 2003, c. 614, §9 (AFF).]
[ 2005, c. 477, §9 (AMD) .]
2. Penalty. A person who violates subsection 1 commits a Class E crime.

Class E crime is a 1 year max misdemeanor. I'd also be worried about being accused of hunting without a license, but I've never looked deep enough into Maine caselaw (ever, actually [laugh]) to see how far those laws apply. You can read a big lump of them here.

ETA:

FWIW they don't seem to equate carrying a gun in the woods with hunting like Mass. does.

Last edited:
I don't understand why all these kinds of posts are prefaced with that. Having one is irrelevant outside of MA about 99% of the time.

That's because, unlike MA, what is not specifically prohibited is always permissible.

[rofl] [rofl] now thats funny....

B. A person may not, while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, have a cocked and armed crossbow or a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle-loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism, except that a person who has a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer a loaded pistol or revolver covered by that permit. [2005, c. 477, §9 (AMD).]

Ok, keep the magazine out of the firearm. I'm going to assume that applies to OC, as well? It can sit on my hip, but the magazine is NOT in place and a round is not chambered. Again, Massachusetts paranoia creeps to the fore [sad]

The rifle is a .22, nothing exactly high-power, FWIW.

Just make sure the gun on your hip is not covered by a shirt or in any other way, then it will be considered concealed. There is almost no case law in Maine, and sadly, things are slowly changing. I recently heard of a story locally of a gentlemen who wanted to take his AK for a shoot at a friend's house and wanted to take his motorcycle. So, he just threw the AK over his back with the sling and started driving. Someone on the road got scared because they saw a gun and called the cops. The police responded in force and many police officers pulled the guy over. He was questioned and the cops were professional. He broke no law and was allowed to move on. But it was all a big hassle just because he had a gun on his back.

So, just be aware that while Maine is very gun friendly, we still have people who get scared when they see a gun and call the cops.

Ok, keep the magazine out of the firearm. I'm going to assume that applies to OC, as well? It can sit on my hip, but the magazine is NOT in place and a round is not chambered. Again, Massachusetts paranoia creeps to the fore [sad]

The rifle is a .22, nothing exactly high-power, FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom