• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass Gun Season Opener Tomorrow

The hard part is getting permission and if you want to gun hunt making sure the town is open to discharge.

Other than that and maybe dealing with anti neighbors, its a honey hole for the most part. Knocking on doors probably will get you some nasty looks as well.
In Concord!!! You'll get more than nasty looks.......the sway team will be called and choppers will circle!

In Concord!!! You'll get more than nasty looks.......the sway team will be called and choppers will circle!

Figures...the birthplace of the revolution and all. I stay away....I know I could likely do some homework and get some spots in urban MA.....but.......no one is on board with hunting and value it adds curtailing the urban deer population.

CT is much more hunter friendly in urban areas. You do have to bowhunt in most cases...but its not an issue. Most people are open to it, and if not they just say no. People have been educated about it by the towns.
Ive had one major landowner issue in 15 years hunting down there. Our group of 3 has killed over 100 deer without incident in that time frame. I know other locals that have killed many more.

Most of towns are all on board with hunters. A call to the police about some hunter, usually the landowner is asked....Is the hunter on your land? If the answer is No, then the next statement is, then mind your own business, they can hunt all they want on your neighbors land if they allow it. There are no setbacks for arrow release, as long as they are shooting down from a treestand its very safe. Do not waste our time with calls about hunters please, let these people go about their business and manage and control the deer herd that is out of control.

In other words, unless your doing something really retarded like hunting on private land you have no permission on, or releasing an arrow stupidly....its not that bad. I generally have had to knock on doors to retrieve a few times, and if no one is home after ive tried knocking on the door, I generally just scoop it up (never have a bow in hand) if I can see it died just over the line. If I have to search, or If someone says no, I call the warden and they get it for me. This has only happened once.

Usually if I get a no....I kinda look at them funny and say...you realize there is a dead deer on your property....if you dont let me retrieve it, ........it will not smell all that well in a few days.......then they usually say.....Ahhhh....yeah.....go get it!!

I know some guys that are just killing it in Concord on some private property. Bow hunting and they pass on everything but monster bucks.

I know some guys that are just killing it in Concord on some private property. Bow hunting and they pass on everything but monster bucks.

Kinda what I used to do in CT. Now I just shoot meat does on the first day.

Getting a huge buck still requires a lot of time for the most part, as most of them are noctournal. We generally get one good one a year though between 3 of us. For me, it has to be at least 140 inch, because that's my biggest. Which in the Northeast, is like almost impossible, especially in overpopulated SW CT. Last one I shot was 130 class, 220# dressed. That's why I shot it, biggest bodied deer I ever saw anywhere.

Realistically there are better antlers in MA because of the lower deer population.

Back
Top Bottom