• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass Gun Season Opener Tomorrow

Button Buck taken at 3:05 in Zone 9. will update weight after checkin

Congrats, i would have love to taken one the first day... my neighbors were doing alot of recreational shooting yesterday... i doubt the deer care.
The wood were dead, i stayed about 5h 15m.. it started raining the moment i got back.. so i managed to hunt as much possible.

Im spending every day for the next two weeks out there... im thinking if im patient and put in the time, ill have some success.

Good luck gentlemen

Being down for the count opening week is Killin me. My hunting buddies were out today without me and I get a text with THIS! 4 out of 9 filled tags today and one was this brute.......163 pounds 8 points and a very heafty set of symmetrical antlers. FB_IMG_1543352700249.jpg IMG_1097.jpg

Being down for the count opening week is Killin me. My hunting buddies were out today without me and I get a text with THIS! 4 out of 9 filled tags today and one was this brute.......163 pounds 8 points and a very heafty set of symmetrical antlers.View attachment 256473

I was looking at the first pic and started thinking, "where is his tongue?" :p

Quiet in my part of Zone 5. heard 1 shot in the AM, another in the afternoon.
Plenty of sign, but no customers.

Couldn't like it Whacko because you weren't out there with them.
That 8 looks like he ran a lot of weight off rutting.
I couldn't go Monday but got some meat Tuesday.

View attachment 256492
Nice!
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Rack looks like it belongs to a heavier deer than 163. Hope that means he got the chance to fu.......I mean impregnate alot of does before my buddy took him. :)

That's a nice one. VG mass on that deer and some tine length, which is not that common. That's the stuff I'm after. I let a few dinks and does go in archery season.

Going to try and get out tomorrow and Friday in Zone 5, then, have the Wachusett hunt Saturday, haven't done much scouting for that, but it will likely be a shxt show on Saturday, so I've got a few evacuation bottlenecks on the maps looked at.

That's a nice one. VG mass on that deer and some tine length, which is not that common. That's the stuff I'm after. I let a few dinks and does go in archery season.

Going to try and get out tomorrow and Friday in Zone 5, then, have the Wachusett hunt Saturday, haven't done much scouting for that, but it will likely be a shxt show on Saturday, so I've got a few evacuation bottlenecks on the maps looked at.
That guy got his first deer in a decade last season. He's a very happy man to have a harvest like that this early in the season.....and back to back successful seasons.

And yes....it's good to see a deer that healthy.

Last edited:
That guy got his first deer in a decade last season. He's a very happy man to have a harvest like that this early in the season.....and back to back successful seasons.

And yes....it's good to see a deer that healthy.

For MA, that's a great deer. No doubt, even better taken by someone who hasn't had much luck over the years.

I would like to thank the politicians of Massachusetts for making my oui 22 years ago a lifetime disqualifier ! f***ing me out of another shotgun season !

FWIW:

I’m with Whacko on this. Most retailers require a permit as a CYA but you can always buy out of state or have someone but it for you.

Many controlled hunts require a permit even with the Muzzle Loader so those will still be out. I know that is the case at Quabbin.

Bob

Ammunition'', cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun. The term ''ammunition'' shall also mean tear gas cartridges.

''Firearm'', a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors.

The provisions of sections 122 to 129D, inclusive, and sections 131, 131A, 131B and 131E shall not apply to:

(A) any firearm, rifle or shotgun manufactured in or prior to the year 1899;

(B) any replica of any firearm, rifle or shotgun described in clause (A) if such replica: (i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or (ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; and

General Law - Part I, Title XX, Chapter 140, Section 121

Congrats to everyone getting Deer and good luck to those going out in the next few days!

I went out Monday in Zone 9 but packed it up after sitting for 5.5 hours and when it began to rain. Tried to go out in Zone 10 yesterday but got there and my hunting partner and I called it since it was down pouring and I don't have rain gear (using hand me down 20+year old Cabela's Fleece Suit that gets 10 pounds added when it's wet). Looks like I have some new gear in my future at least! I'm done for this year with nothing in the freezer (small or large game) but at least I got out in the woods and learned more then I knew before. Already looking around and trying to make some plans to start scouting correctly for Turkey and Deer next year so the freezer won't be empty again.

I would like to thank the politicians of Massachusetts for making my oui 22 years ago a lifetime disqualifier ! f***ing me out of another shotgun season !

Muzzleloader, you can buy the powder in CT.

Is that really true, OUI is lifetime disqual? Is that only if it's a felony OUI?

Is that really true, OUI is lifetime disqual? Is that only if it's a felony OUI?
As with all PP rules.....it's the 2 year possibility of jail time that counts....not the nature of the conviction.

An oui after 5/27/94 is punishable by 2 1/2 years in prison and a lifetime disqualifier from owning a firearm legally. Unless you get relief and are found “suitable “ by the firearms licencing review board

An oui after 5/27/94 in MA is punishable by 2 1/2 years in prison and a lifetime disqualifier from owning a firearm legally. Unless you get relief and are found “suitable “ by the firearms licencing review board

I think there are still some states and federal jurisdictions where the first DUI was max punishable 6 months or 1 year.

So, it's less that you had an OUI that disqualified you, but that you did it in MA...for which I'm sorry for you.

Mark there are plenty of deer with great tine length in the state maybe not in your immediate area though.
I used to hunt a gene pool from this guy.
He was a bruiser.....I.couldn't get him in his prime he was a 12 then with longer tines.

I came close but he sent one of "his boys" out first and I'd have been busted if I waited for him he was 75 yards behind...….LOL

I was found suitable by the FLRB and had my rights restored for 3 years. then the feds cracked down on the FLRB saying they Didn’t have the power to restore my rights after all. The feds had a basically gentleman’s agreement not to get in the way of their decisions and ended up striping approximately 400 ltc’s from other people who got relief from the board. And Maura and Charlie were all to happy to comply with the feds orders !!! Not to worry. Jason Guida and Comm2a are on the job ! The waiting game sucks tho

I was found suitable by the FLRB and had my rights restored for 3 years. then the feds cracked down on the FLRB saying they Didn’t have the power to restore my rights after all. The feds had a basically gentleman’s agreement not to get in the way of their decisions and ended up striping approximately 400 ltc’s from other people who got relief from the board. And Maura and Charlie were all to happy to comply with the feds orders !!! Not to worry. Jason Guida and Comm2a are on the job ! The waiting game sucks tho
Good luck!

I'd get a muzzle loader and hunt shotgun and muzie season with it

Being down for the count opening week is Killin me. My hunting buddies were out today without me and I get a text with THIS! 4 out of 9 filled tags today and one was this brute.......163 pounds 8 points and a very heafty set of symmetrical antlers.View attachment 256473 View attachment 256474

That's what I'm talking about....I think I need to remove my self-imposed minimum standards. I've been passing does, yearlings, and bucks with 6 points or less. Since I adopted these standards I have yet to fill a tag... Maybe I need to get back into deer hunting and take a break from the trophy hunting for a bit.

Am I the only wacko thinking about continuing to hunt with the bow and leaving the shotgun at home too? Yes - I'm seriously going to...

Back
Top Bottom