Mass complaint Glock issue

Just purchased a factory reconditioned Glock at a Mass dealer this week. He got a shipment in from the Glock Armory all Pre 98 guns with Hi Cap mags. Mine is a model 22 and came with (3) 15 rd mags, plastic case, mag loader plus the cleaning wire brush and the new gun warranty. Wanted to buy some pre-ban mags to have extras and came across the picture MarkM posted back on 2006 with the differences in Glock mags.

preban.jpg

Well, the 3 mags I received with my gun are the post ban mags according to this picture. Don't know where to go from here in this screwed state of MA.

Welcome to the forum and get used to the BS. in this Hellhole of liberalism.

I have some post- bans also but keep them stacked for home defense only, keep looking for pre-b's you;ll find them.

Did the vendor tell you they were preban?

Problem with this "issue" is that there is no 100%, perfectly vetted, authoritative source
with regards to mag provenance. Glock Inc or even their parent company refuses
to tell anyone which magazines were made when, their answer being that they can't
determine that.

-Mike

Gun came from the armory sealed as MA complaint. He has more in stock. I have purchased some pre-bans I found online and guess I'll save these for range use only! Paid top dollar for the gun and instead got $24 mags.

If I need to stand trial my only line of defence is the gun was purchased from a MA dealer as MA complaint and the mags were shipped with the gun sealed in the case listed as MA complaint for sale in MA.

If I need to stand trial my only line of defence is the gun was purchased from a MA dealer as MA complaint and the mags were shipped with the gun sealed in the case listed as MA complaint for sale in MA.

The compliancy of the gun itself (WRT AGs regs and EOPS roster status) is
irrelevant when it comes down to it, since those regs only apply against
dealer sales/transfers of the guns to MA residents. Joe smoe can own
just about any handgun he/she wants, as long as the gun doesn't violate
any other laws. A lot of folks have guns not on the list and not on the
roster (and not grandfathered!) and that is perfectly legal.

The preban mag issue, though, is a whole nother ball of wax, and if somehow
they can prove that they are post-ban, they will bag you for a felony. This
is the rub here... of course, it is very hard to prove or disprove someones
assertion about the age of a magazine.

-Mike

???

hey my glock came with 3 mags and they are the same as the mag in the middle of that pic that is posted that will land me in jail. Should I start a bail collection now or what??? Am I in deep crap?? You guy's just got my pantie's in a bunch.

Last edited:
Glock rebuilds lots of mags and mixes all the parts up, so preban can look like postbans. I think in the case of Glock mags it is pretty much impossible to prove that it's a post ban mag unless it says LEO etc on it.

Glock rebuilds lots of mags and mixes all the parts up, so preban can look like postbans. I think in the case of Glock mags it is pretty much impossible to prove that it's a post ban mag unless it says LEO etc on it.

Yes but we must assume that the jury is 12 of the dumbest people alive and they have your fate in their hands. How can we convince them of that?

They say ignorance is no defense but I would be keeping as much documentation as possible where the armory advertised them as pre-ban.

I would also be hanging out on places like glocktalk looking for people in no-ban states who want to swap their old mags for your new ones.

so if blindndead is in the same boat as I am, wonder how many of the Glocks coming into Mass are the same way? Am thinking about calling fsguns and asking them the question since they sell lots of pre 98 factory refurb Glocks.

Just spoke with fsguns and the dealer that sold me the Glock. Both say their distributor told them the gun and mags are pre-ban and safe to sell in MA. But nothing in writing. Also said if I was insecure about the mags, just to request 10 rds.

This has been discussed before. If you'd read the whole thread the picture posted came from and followed the links then you'd have found this picture from Glockmeister showing exactly the opposite:
magtype.jpg
There was also a statement the Glock Tech Support had stated that there was no way to identify pre or post ban magazines based on the location of the caliber marking. I did the search then and recall finding someone who posted an actual letter from Glock to that effect. Use your Google-fu.

I like that last picture best, as I picked up a couple of new 15 round mags for my pre-ban Glock 23 from a dealer a while back and have always wondered about their legality, despite buying from a shop. Judging by Glockmeister, I'm good...and speaking of which, I need to pick up a KKM barrel from them!

Thanks Kevin9. If I knew there was this much bullsh%$ over Glock mags I would not have bought one. Lets see what the pre-ban mags I bought look like when I get them in.

Of course, now things have gotten a bit cloudier since Glock has changed their mags again. Some of their newer ones have the plastic cut out at the top front exposing the metal underneath. I'm told this is for their models with ambidextrous mag releases. I've seen 13rd 45acp and 17rd 9mm mags like this. I suppose you can't deny these are post-ban.

The prior thread on this topic covers this issue in infinite depth.

I think that there is another thread on here (somewhere) with even more definitive info on the Glock mag issue. I know that I posted the info, so if you use Advanced Search with myself as the author, you might find it.

I would NOT rely on Glockmeister for any legal advise!! Yes, that picture is contrary to all other mag pictures out there. Do an Advanced Search here on Glockmeister and you might understand my admonition that they are not a reliable source of info on what is legal or not.

Those 2 pictures are NOT the total info for preban mags. The NFML mags are preban and can be identified by the round half-moon hole in the metal protrusion at the back instead of that enlongated V shape. Look for those mags and there isn't any doubt as to pre and post ban.

Can some of you people just be quiet when you find out mistakes made in your favor? [grin] [smile]

Joe R.

Can some of you people just be quiet when you find out mistakes made in your favor? [grin] [smile]

Joe R.

With Ted Kennedy and Barry Frank making laws to keep us safe, a mistake like this is not one I am grateful for!

Sorry for the ranting and if I am pissing anyone off for pressing this issue.

I would NOT rely on Glockmeister for any legal advise!! Yes, that picture is contrary to all other mag pictures out there. Do an Advanced Search here on Glockmeister and you might understand my admonition that they are not a reliable source of info on what is legal or not.

Doesn't help that one of the owner(s) is under indictment for breaking a
bunch of federal gun laws by selling a bunch of pistols to a foreign national
that was dumb enough to try to move them through his luggage on an
international flight. Not exactly the best source of information.

-Mike

Mike, there was a lot more to it than that!

To answer other questions: There is NO SUCH THING as a "MA Compliant Glock" . . . the AG said so! There are "grandfathered Glocks" and there are Glocks that got into MA otherwise, but no "compliant ones".

There is no error in the mag law. There is just confusion on what is/isn't pre-ban and what you can do with it. Since most mfrs are not marking their post-ban mags, it makes determinations by buyers exceptionally difficult.

Back when we had a Federal ban, ATF said it was OK to replace mag bodies of pre-ban mags with newly manufactured, not-LE marked bodies, should the originals become damaged.

Now that we have no Federal ban, and its up to the state to interpret its own ban, can you still replace the body of your pre-ban mag with a newly manufactured, not-LE marked body?

Who's to say that the mags you got didn't have there mag bodies replaced by Glock while the gun was back in for refurb? That would make sense to me... Old nasty mag thats been in a cops duty rig for 15 years, and looks like it, I'd replace the mag body, and it would be perfectly legal, atleast under the old Federal ban... Now how can you tell me my mag isn't pre-ban?

Plus, atleast under the old Fed ban, the government had the burned to prove that the mag, the whole mag, is post ban, to win a conviction.

--EasyD

Plus, atleast under the old Fed ban, the government had the burned to prove that the mag, the whole mag, is post ban, to win a conviction.

And on top of that, there was wording within the law that said that the
standard of proof was presence of LE markings. Of course, MA did
not adopt that portion of federal law when it made its own ban. MA only
adopted "definitions" from the fed AWB... It is too bad it wasn't, because
then this whole thing would be a pretty moot issue.

-Mike

We had this same discussion over unmarked AR mags a while back I believe as well...

I would normally say that they would have to prove with out a doubt that the mags in you posession are in fact Post ban... you bough them from a dealer claiming they are PRE ban and the dealer assured you that GLock sold them to him as Pre ban.

HOWEVER, we are in MA and MOST people are complete and total morons when it comes to guns and IF you ever had an issue, you could get hung up by an ingnorant jury.

I would say the best advice is to try and swap them for someone on the outside that has some prebanners.

Back
Top Bottom