• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mass banning the use of lead?

I didn't see this anywhere on the forum, and just received it as an alert from the NRA. Hopefully this goes no where.

Proposed Bill Could Ban Lead Ammunition in Massachusetts!
Please Contact Your State Legislator Today!​

House Bill 783 and Senate Bill 558 introduced by State Representative Jay Kaufman (D-15th Middlesex) and State Senator Steven Tolman (D-2nd Suffolk & Middlesex) would create a more restrictive policy regarding the use of "toxic chemicals" in the Commonwealth. Hidden within the proposal from environmental and anti-gun extremists is what amounts to a ban on all common rifle and handgun ammunition.

"The Safer Alternatives Proposals" will create a program to replace ten "chemicals" with what proponents claim are safer alternatives. On the top of the list of targeted substances is lead, the common element used to make virtually all bullets. As proposed, this legislation could virtually shut down all shooting ranges as well as ban the sale and use of lead ammunition for self-defense, hunting and target practice in Massachusetts. Non-lead alternatives exist for ammunition but are significantly more expensive and, in many instances, have sub-standard performance characteristics. Shooting ranges already fall under federal EPA regulations concerning environmental impact and recent science and EPA guidelines show that lead ammunition on shooting ranges can be managed without detrimentally affecting the environment. Predictably, this legislation does not account for the serious impacts on shooting ranges and the sportsmen and gun owners who use them.

Please call or write your State Legislator and respectfully request that the lead ammunition be completely excluded from the scope of the legislation. This step is essential in order to protect the future availability of ammunition commonly used for self-defense, hunting and the shooting sports in the Commonwealth! Contact information for your State Legislator can be found at http://www.mass.gov/legis/.

does this stupid state ever do anything that is intelligent?

man.... every time you turn around they are either financially raping you with taxes and or fees or doing more to take away from our 2nd amendment rights.

why dont they do something smart and get tough on crime....????

morons....

I wish someone would buy our house so we can move to NH.. not that they wont be far behind....

Yeah... it might be tough to enforce.. but it will make it a PITA to buy stuff here and most clubs will probably put some policy in place. Of course LE training will be exempt.

buy your ammo out of state?

If it's illegal to use, just make sure you write off your collection of ammo as a tax write off on a lost investment and sell it to me cheap :)

What about lead flashing on houses? Sure, copper is an alternative but we all know what's happening to copper.

does this stupid state ever do anything that is intelligent?

why dont they do something smart and get tough on crime....????

Well.... the Public Safety And Homeland Security committee is holding public hearings on legislation that would ban the use of chain link basketball nets, and another bill that would require seat belts in antique cars... and oh yeah (how can I forget), they're finally getting off their asses and are considering establishing "a bureau of floor finishers within the Department of Public Safety" (about time too... I haven't had a decent nights sleep in months worrying myself sick about that one).

http://www.mass.gov/legis/comm/dljan16.htm

another bill that would require seat belts in antique cars...

I don't know anything about those other bills, but the antique car seat belt bill that you're referring to isn't anything to worry about. It just adds side facing seats w/out factory seat belts to the list of exemptions to the seatbelt law for any car manufactured after 1966 (cars before that are exempt anyway) and part of an antique car collection.

(I follow this stuff, because this state tries to take our old cars almost as hard as they try to take our guns)

I'm going to send a letter as well, but I'm not going to start worrying about this yet. Every new session some type of bill gets submitted that gets me all worked up. Last time was they were looking to ban 50BMG rifles and ammo, this year it's lead, next year who knows. If it gets traction, I'll start to worry a little. I seriously doubt this is going to make it through as it would effect much more then just ammo. Not to mention the funds that would be needed to enforce such an act and the possibility of putting a lot of people out of business that would effect incoming taxes.

I received my "sleep well tonight" notice from the NRA as well.
Didn't CA pass a bill that bans lead in ammo?
If it's been done there, the fools at the State House will want to follow suit.
Does anyone else feel the need for a part time secretary to help with all the letters needed just to inform legislators that we don't want our gun rights tampered with?
Best Regards.

And what about car batteries with all that lead?? Maybe car makers will be forced to ship cars without batteries or the state will require all residents to buy special non-toxic lead free car batteries that will cost $500-$600 and only last 1-2 years.....

I dont see these two tree huggers getting anywhere with this law as it isnt practical.

Isnt that Tolman guy the dude on Fox 25 news Monday mornings???

Best Regards.

Yes: But that was in the Condor Ranges only:

762-6W8CONDORS.embedded.prod_affiliate.4.gif

Starting July 1, the new rules ban the use and possession of bullets in condor country containing more than 1 percent lead, a threshold that ammunition manufacturers said was realistic. A violation by a hunter is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a $1,000 fine and a year in jail.

Nonlead ammo that meets the 1 percent standard is already available for centerfire calibers. It is slightly more expensive but is considered ballistically superior to lead ammunition.

How much you want to bet the penalty here will be 2 1/2 years in jail, just to stick it to the gun owners... [thinking]

I received my "sleep well tonight" notice from the NRA as well.
Does anyone else feel the need for a part time secretary to help with all the letters needed just to inform legislators that we don't want our gun rights tampered with?
Best Regards.

Yes there's a lead ammo ban in "Condor" areas in CA, but they are currently trying to figure out what's "Lead Ammo" and what's not.[thinking]

Senate Bill 466 was the recent shot across the bow on lead. The NCL sent a letter suggesting that the DFG be allowed to regulate lead in fresh water like they do in the Quabin today instead of passing another law.

You can read the letter here on NES here http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2572 or http://www.nclsportsmen.org/Files/2...eOnEnvironmentNaturalResourcesAgriculture.pdf

S.558 and H.783 have now been rolled into Senate 2406.

They have tried to replace lead shot before and found out that substitute materials were in fact even more toxic. The “Green” movement isn’t slowing down and with the lead ban already passed in CA and them trying to figure out what that “means”…this isn’t’ going away.

I’m all for protecting the environment, but not under the guise of false science and lies. If there are AFFORDABLE (not more than 10% increase) alternatives that can be proven to be less-toxic or even non-toxic fine. However, I’m sick of the lies and deceit that get used by people with an agenda (anti-XXX or financial) other than doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do. [angry]

I’m all for protecting the environment, but not under the guise of false science and lies. If there are AFFORDABLE (not more than 10% increase) alternatives that can be proven to be less-toxic or even non-toxic fine. However, I’m sick of the lies and deceit that get used by people with an agenda (anti-XXX or financial) other than doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do. [angry]

+1

And what about car batteries with all that lead?? Maybe car makers will be forced to ship cars without batteries or the state will require all residents to buy special non-toxic lead free car batteries that will cost $500-$600 and only last 1-2 years.....

I dont see these two tree huggers getting anywhere with this law as it isnt practical.

Isnt that Tolman guy the dude on Fox 25 news Monday mornings???

It's a good point but car batteries are 100% recycled.

i cant belive this SHIT!!!! just another attempt to regulate hunting and shooting out of existence. you bet your ass that cadillac deval would fully back this buch of crap. this would also end hunting deer with a flintlock and patched lead round ball and also primitive black powder shoots

Non-Lead Ammunition Legal For Hunting in California

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/docs/nonlead-ammo-ca.pdf

I just found this, but not before sending the following e-mail on behalf of the NCL:

House Bill 783 AN ACT FOR A HEALTHY MASSACHUSETTS SAFER ALTERNATIVES TO TOXIC

Rep Poirier, Senator Timilty, Senator Brown,

You have signed onto this bill. Our concern of course is - Lead. Lead is used, as it has been for centuries, in the manufacture of ammunition. Other metals have been suggested and tried only to be proven to be more toxic than lead. Steel and other alternatives have recently been instituted for waterfowl hunting to reduce the “chance” that lead will contaminate the water supply.

Like I’ve said before, the Sportsmen and Women of Massachusetts are a conservation minded and environmentally friendly group, but what you must think through is the fact that this bill could be used to BAN lead ammunition altogether. If this ban should become reality it will have a very negative impact upon this group.

Forcing possibly expensive alternatives that…
a. Continue the erosion in numbers of those taking part in the hunting and fishing recreational activities thereby reducing the funds (through license purchases) to sustain the wildlife and other conservation efforts (land acquisition).
b. Possibly, and inadvertently increase the lethality of the replacement ammunition that might ultimately violate Federal armor piercing law due to its material construction.

I would be interested in receiving a response from each of you on this matter and ask that changes be made to protect the use of lead with respect to ammunition used for recreational sporting activities such as shooting, hunting, and fishing.

Respectfully,

Back
Top Bottom