Mass Antlerless permits

Sparkey

NES Member
The drawing was last night I dont see the results on Mass wildlife site yet. Here is a partial list from someone who went to the drawing last night that posts on another forum I read.

Zone 5 - 3,6,5,7, partial 0
zone 8 - 7,9,8,5,3,4,6 partial 2
zone 6 - 9,3,0,7,6 partial 2
zone 7 - 7,1,3,0,2,9,6 partial 5
9, 10, 11, 13, 14 were all numbers

I got one for zone 7[smile] any one else?

Frustration has begun!!!!!. I think this is 6 years in a row now that I haven't gotten a zone 5.

CRSIII in full effect.[thinking]
I'll have a chance at zone 9 Oct. 11.

Putting it in my calendar now.[banghead]

I'm confused. was there a specific date on the pink piece of paper they mailed me? I saw that it lists a specific zone, but i didn't see a date. This is my first time getting a antlerless permit, so i really have no clue what it all means.

Also, isn't Oct 11th outside of the season?

I'm confused. was there a specific date on the pink piece of paper they mailed me? I saw that it lists a specific zone, but i didn't see a date. This is my first time getting a antlerless permit, so i really have no clue what it all means.

The 11th is when the permits go on sale over-the-counter. Zone 9 is sold out (during the 2nd choice redraw). That leaves 10, 11, 13 & 14 for zones.

If you were a winner, you need to mail in the pink card with a check for $5 to the address on the card. THEN you get the permit.

Why the 11th and not opening day of Bow season the 17th? Will they be available on the internet then for those who got their licenses that way?

Has others have said: A pink card means that you were selected in the draw and are eligible to purchase a doe permit for that zone so make sure that you send the pink card in with a check for $5.00 to purchase your doe permit. Sooner is better to make sure that you get your doe permit before the archery season starts.

A yellow card means that you were not selected for a doe permit and you can select another zone and re-apply.

All of the information you could want is on the MassWildlife site: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/licensing/permits/adp_home.htm

Bob

Why the 11th and not opening day of Bow season the 17th? Will they be available on the internet then for those who got their licenses that way?

From the MassWildlife Site:

"Over the counter sales of any remaining permits will begin October 11th. This is the final opportunity to acquire any antlerless deer permits in those zones for which permits remain available after the drawing process has been completed. These permits will be available at select locations across the state on a first-come, first-served basis. Please check our website for future details regarding over the counter sales. More details on sales will be posted in early October on the Antlerless Deer Permit Home page."

The reason that the state starts selling them on the 11th is so that you can have the permit before the season starts.

You can buy them over the counter at any MassWildlife office or if you purchased your license Online you can do it there as well. That is, unless MassWildlife changes the rules in the middle of the game again. If there are a small number of permits left over for a zone MassWildlife has been known to ONLY sell those permits over the counter at a MassWildlife office.

This happened to me 3 or 4 years ago when I wanted a left over zone 9 permit (not that there are ever any left over permits for zone 9 these days anyway). I specifically bought a license Online to save me getting up in the wee hours of the morning and driving to the MassWildlife office and waiting in line to purchase the permit over the counter. That was the first and last time I bought my license Online.

The convenience fee business really irritates me. Because the state subbed out the Online licensing system we have to pay a "convenience fee" to the vendor. I would rather go to DSG and not pay any additional fees or go to the town hall and give them an extra dollar than pay the damn convenience fee. I often find myself in DSG anyway so it isn't a special trip anyway. /rant

Bob

I just got mine last week, zone 11. Anyone want to join up and hunt?

The drawing was last night I dont see the results on Mass wildlife site yet. Here is a partial list from someone who went to the drawing last night that posts on another forum I read.

Zone 5 - 3,6,5,7, partial 0
zone 8 - 7,9,8,5,3,4,6 partial 2
zone 6 - 9,3,0,7,6 partial 2
zone 7 - 7,1,3,0,2,9,6 partial 5
9, 10, 11, 13, 14 were all numbers

I got one for zone 7[smile] any one else?

Got mine for Zone 11 also, I'm down in Plymouth, though I'm thinking Rocky Gutter may not be a bad spot, but the better half mountain bikes in Myles Standish and has seen track, so she's going to show me where.

for most zones they will be sold out 2 days after they go on sale on the 11th so if you wait for opening day you wont have many if any options.

This is my one beef with the Mass doe permit system. People stockpiling doe permits they either wont use, are incapable of using or use in a zone the permit is not assigned to (poachers).

In Mass last year there were 100,762 hunting licenses sold ( http://www.amfire.com/statistic.asp?page=32 ) There were also 10,381 deer shot in the 2010 season. That is an average of one deer per 10 licensed hunters. If you account for people, like myself, who usually shoot 2 or 3 deer a season you quickly realize that places the success rate well under 10%. The other reality is that 10% really does not change much year to year. The same people for the most part are shooting the deer year after year. And to expand on that it is the same other 90% that are the morons that flock to the Fish and game to fill their pockets with as many doe tags as they can get their greedy little sausages on only to have them rot in their pockets year after year. It is stupid.

It would be far more effective to give out the doe tags in the original lottery as they do now. 1 per person max. Then after you shoot a doe, and if there are still tags available in the zone you want to hunt you could get another. Enough of the doe tag hording by incompetent morons who never see a deer but have 7 doe tags in their pocket.

Rant over.....

This is my one beef with the Mass doe permit system. People stockpiling doe permits they either wont use, are incapable of using or use in a zone the permit is not assigned to (poachers).

In Mass last year there were 100,762 hunting licenses sold ( http://www.amfire.com/statistic.asp?page=32 ) There were also 10,381 deer shot in the 2010 season. That is an average of one deer per 10 licensed hunters. If you account for people, like myself, who usually shoot 2 or 3 deer a season you quickly realize that places the success rate well under 10%. The other reality is that 10% really does not change much year to year. The same people for the most part are shooting the deer year after year. And to expand on that it is the same other 90% that are the morons that flock to the Fish and game to fill their pockets with as many doe tags as they can get their greedy little sausages on only to have them rot in their pockets year after year. It is stupid.

It would be far more effective to give out the doe tags in the original lottery as they do now. 1 per person max. Then after you shoot a doe, and if there are still tags available in the zone you want to hunt you could get another. Enough of the doe tag hording by incompetent morons who never see a deer but have 7 doe tags in their pocket.

Rant over.....

I agree and I will add that if you want an extra doe tag get your a$$ out of bed and go to a DFW office and wait in line like everyone else (I know its online now). It used to infuriate me that hunters were allowed to bring licenses for every Tom, Dick and Harry they knew and get one doe permit per zone, per license.

There is no good reason that the extra doe permits can't be issued as replacement tags, just as is done in Connecticut, so that when you bring in your doe for a particular zone you can purchase another doe tag for that zone if there are any available. IMO more of them would get filled and there would be less using antlerless tags in a zone that they were not authorized for. I see this as a big problem.

JMO

Bob

Rant over.....

Great, start calling hunters new to the sport, the very people you need to keep hunting alive and well with funding to purchase land for conservation morons.

I'm only following the law, as others are, if you don't like it then try to have the law changed, until then stop being a jackass insulting those new to the sport who are only following the rules.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom