• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

March 30, 2011 is “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day

smokey-seven

NES Member
Thank You, Vietnam Veterans
By LTC. Carolyn Abell, US Army, Retired

“No event in American history is more misunderstood than the Vietnam War. It was misreported then, and it is misremembered now. Rarely have so many people been so wrong about so much. Never have the consequences of their misunderstanding been so tragic.” – Richard Nixon from his book, “No More Vietnams”

Earlier this month the United States Senate declared March 30, 2011 as “Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day.” This particular date was chosen because on March 30, 1973, remaining U. S. troops withdrew from Vietnam under the terms of the Treaty of Paris.

In a resolution introduced by Senator Richard Burr of North Carolina and co-sponsored by five other senators, including Georgia’s Johnny Isakson, the Senate is encouraging Americans across the country to recognize Vietnam veterans for their sacrifice and to make them feel the gratitude of a country that sent them to fight. “It’s time they receive the recognition they have earned and deserve,” declared Senator Burr.

While Richard Nixon might have had his faults as President, the above statement about the Vietnam War is spot on. Largely due to intentional misreporting by anti-war press members, a number of myths and falsehoods were generated and have continued to be perpetuated about this war and the men who fought it.

Statistical evidence contradicts most of these lies. For one, the majority of Vietnam veterans declare they are glad they served (91percent), with74 percent saying they would serve again, even knowing the outcome.

In contrast to the popular notion that a great number of Vietnam veterans were drug users, a myth promoted by such movies as “Apocalypse Now,” information from the Veterans’ Administration indicates that there is no difference in drug usage between Vietnam veterans and non-veterans from the same age group.

The few isolated atrocities committed by American servicemen were blown out of proportion, causing the general public to wonder if they had evolved into savage and inhumane beasts reminiscent of the degenerate boys in “Lord of the Flies.” The truth is that while we had a few incidents, the North Vietnamese routinely committed such atrocities against our side—a fact that seldom got reported. Former service members such as Charles Henderson have documented some of the most heinous acts of torture imaginable inflicted on United States soldiers and Marines by a female North Vietnamese Captain, whose cruel and deviant brutality earned her the nickname, “Apache Woman.” Thanks to Carlos Hathcock, one of the most talented and self-disciplined Marine snipers of all time, “Apache Woman” did not live to make Major.

A 97 percent rate of honorable discharges among Vietnam veterans should quell any myths that they were largely lawless heathens.

According to a speech by Lt. Gen. Barry McCaffrey in 1993, 85 percent of Vietnam veterans made a successful transition to civilian life. General McCaffrey further stated that these veterans’ personal income levels exceeded their non-veteran counterparts of the same age group by more than 18 percent. He added that Vietnam veterans had a lower unemployment rate than the non-vet age group.

Another prevailing myth is that a disproportionate number of blacks were killed in the Vietnam War. Statistical evidence shows that 86 percent of the men who died in Vietnam were Caucasians. Only 12.5 percent were black, while the remainder were “other races.” These percentages were in direct proportion to general population statistics at that time.

A lot of people think, too, that the Vietnam War was fought by the poor and uneducated. In actuality, these veterans were the best educated forces our country had ever sent into combat, with 79 percent having at least a high school diploma or equivalent. Many had taken some college courses or even earned a degree.

The survival rate of Vietnam veterans was also much higher than in previous wars, thanks largely to MEDEVAC helicopters. Pilots of these birds flew nearly 500,000 missions, airlifting over 900,000 patients. The average time lapse between wounding to hospitalization was less than one hour. As a result less than one percent of all American wounded who survived the first 24 hours, became fatalities.

Perhaps the highest testimonial to the quality of our Vietnam veterans, is that so many former draft-dodgers and cowards now want to claim credit for military service they never gave. And there is no greater insult to the ones who actually served.

I think the average American appreciates the sacrifices of all veterans. There is nothing more noble and honorable than serving one’s country in the armed forces. Vietnam veterans answered the call to duty, and they continue to serve today with acts of national patriotism, community involvement and serving in elected offices.

Make it a point this Wednesday to thank a Vietnam veteran. Tell him “Welcome home.”

My goal for the book is to preserve the memories of men who died too young—who gave all they could give for a cause they believed in. It is because of them that I sit here in a land of freedom and plenty. May they never be forgotten!

If you wish to send a comment or ask a question of Carolyn Abell please use: [email protected]

If you wish to read other columns by Carolyn Abell please see: http://www.gulf1.com/columns/abell/abellframe.htm

Thanks for posting this. A well written and concise description of Vietnam and its veterans, particularly the mention of misreporting, myths, and lies. And for those draft dodgers and cowards and particularly posers....kiss my pitute.

For this Vietnam veteran, too f'n little too f'n late. I detest hearing "welcome home" despite its good meaning and intention.

For this Vietnam veteran, too f'n little too f'n late. I detest hearing "welcome home" despite its good meaning and intention.

Please understand that some of us welcomed you guys/girls home back 40 years ago too! We just didn't get the media coverage and there were no rallies for them (sad, but I have to wonder if there were any organized rallies when my Father returned from WWII or troops returned from Korea . . . organized rallies may be a modern-day media-driven event). It was done quietly, largely one-on-one with people we knew who were returning home.

Honest question, prompted by a few chance encounters: How do you guys (dustoff, Sky) feel about getting thanks from a young person? I wasn't around (I'm 29) then, but I was raised to respect my elders and betters, particularly those who served. So I tend to offer my thanks (subtly, more often than not) when I bump into a vet wearing a hat, a pin, etc. I get mixed reactions - how do you guys feel about this sort of thing? I always hope that I'm being perceived as genuine, but as I said the reactions are understandably mixed.

The only occasions that I've ever been acknowledged as a veteran is when someone comments about my Dustoff Association sticker on the back window of my truck or my PH plates. Other than that I choose not to wear any pins, hats, or identifying veteran things. Don't begrudge those who do, I simply choose not to. On the very rare occasion that someone asks or mentions the plates or sticker, I'm pleased and grateful for being acknowledged. Most often it's another vet who might ask about my service and I in turn ask the same. It's a camaraderie beyond description.

I thank you for your recognition and respect pernox. Wish your attitude and feelings were more pervasive in our society. Those kinds of feelings and attitudes were simply not existent for most of the last 40 years in my experience.

As for those (LenS) who welcomed us home 40 years ago. The number of people who welcomed me (or any of the few who served from my town) I could count on my left hand. I remember my father (a WW1 (one)) Purple Heart doughboy veteran saying to me when I arrived home on 15 July '68........."son, the silent majority stands behind you". That's after I told him of my experiences of leaving San Francisco Int'l Airport, which was infested with hippie protestors, some of whom thought kindly enough to spit upon us and other GI's. My response to him was that the silent majority must have been sitting home on their thumbs. Not that I expected parades of any other such BS. I just didn't expect to be spat upon. It's pretty much jaundiced my attitude ever since I'm sorry to say.

Honest question, prompted by a few chance encounters: How do you guys (dustoff, Sky) feel about getting thanks from a young person? I wasn't around (I'm 29) then, but I was raised to respect my elders and betters, particularly those who served. So I tend to offer my thanks (subtly, more often than not) when I bump into a vet wearing a hat, a pin, etc. I get mixed reactions - how do you guys feel about this sort of thing? I always hope that I'm being perceived as genuine, but as I said the reactions are understandably mixed.

In answer to your question....

I do appreciate it when people thank me for my service, but I have to admit it makes me a bit uncomfortable.

I feel uncomfortable when someone thinks of me as a hero....because I was never a hero...... I just did my duty.

I knew heroes in Vietnam, I witnessed their actions, and often saw them die for their heroics.

And I feel tremendous guilt because I survived and they didn't.

And when someone honors me for my service, even in the smallest way, I feel guilty because there are so many others that deserve that honor more than me.

Like I said in a sig line once, the biggest tragedy of Vietnam was that we lost a generation of leaders over there. And we suffer for that loss now...

I was never a leader...just a follower.

I was never a hero.....just a Soldier.

I admit that I wear my Purple Heart as a Bolo Tie.

And I also admit I wear it just to see the reactions of people when they see it.

But the real reason I wear it is to remind all the spineless, liberal, hippy bastards that people like me made sacrifices for them.

(And now I finished my fourth beer.....and stop thinking about this post....."Welcome Home".....bullshit!))

I hope this answers your question.

Last edited:
Dustoff,

Yes, the silent majority was sitting home on our thumbs when you guys came home. I don't recall any media stories announcing the arrival of any troops coming home, seriously. So we had no way to know where/when to go to greet our troops in any organized way to show our support.

When my best friend (from age 3) came home I was invited to his welcome home party. It was put on by his Parents at his home. I don't recall but his Mother probably called to invite me or he did it himself. He is a Marine and was caught up in Tet at the DaNang Airbase. We wrote each other during his tour, but IIRC troops rotated home pretty much as individuals not as entire units, so there was no fanfare (even if we exclude the anti-war a'holes). Don't know if that was done intentionally by the Gov't, the media, or just the way the rotations happened.

I thank you for your recognition and respect pernox. Wish your attitude and feelings were more pervasive in our society. Those kinds of feelings and attitudes were simply not existent for most of the last 40 years in my experience.

I wish the same thing. I'm not particularly enamored with most of my generation. Seems like too many of the stinking hippies from your generation were the ones who went and had four or five kids who also came out to be patchouli-smelling granola munchers of my generation. Thankfully, now as it was then there is still a segment of young men with enough sack to try and live right, and even if we couldn't be involved in defending the country, can at least show a little freakin' respect to those who are, and were. Too few of us don't acknowledge where their freedom comes from.

I have a couple young fellows (younger than me! heh) working for me; one heading off to the Navy, the other to the Army. I couldn't be more proud to have them under my employ - they're good boys, smart and strong.

In answer to your question....

I do appreciate it when people thank me for my service, but I have to admit it makes me a bit uncomfortable.

I feel uncomfortable when someone thinks of me as a hero....because I was never a hero...... I just did my duty.

I knew heroes in Vietnam, I witnessed their actions, and often saw them die for their heroics.

And I feel tremendous guilt because I survived and they didn't.

And when someone honors me for my service, even in the smallest way, I feel guilty because there are so many others that deserve that honor more than me.

Like I said in a sig line once, the biggest tragedy of Vietnam was that we lost a generation of leaders over there. And we suffer for that loss now...

I was never a leader...just a follower.

I was never a hero.....just a Soldier.

I admit that I wear my Purple Heart as a Bolo Tie.

And I also admit I wear it just to see the reactions of people when they see it.

But the real reason I wear it is to remind all the spineless, liberal, hippy bastards that people like me made sacrifices for them.

(And now I finished my fourth beer.....and stop thinking about this post....."Welcome Home".....bullshit!))

I hope this answers your question.

It certainly does - thank you for the honest and thought-out answer. Hope I can buy your first four for ya' some day. [cheers]

And thanks both of you for your service.

And thanks both of you for your service.

Thank you for the recognition.

Saying all that on Vietnam Veterans recognition day, makes we wonder when the shift in attitude changed to what it is today. Today's young men and women who serve are at least getting a little positive attention for their service. I could not be happier for them or more proud of those who serve. I've mentored several young men over the years who have and are serving their country. Another sense of pride for these guys. I just hope the military doesn't over extend any more than it is now. Several of these men have done at least two Iraq tours and one Afghanistan tour. It's a lot to ask of anyone, even a volunteer.

Well here it is, 10 after 10 PM, and again, I am too late for "thank a Vietnam Veteran Day".

I didn't know that I could have gone out today and got thank you's from people who recognized me as a vet.

Well, like in 1968, no one came up to me today or called and said thanks. And that is just as well. It feels phony most of the time. I have to admit a young woman in North Attleboro recently thanked me for my service, while mentioning she was burying her own brother around the same time. Those are the ones who thank us. The ones who had family or friends in the service. Everyone else was at woodstock.

This young man was not a glint in my father's eye when the last troops were going home from Vietnam. I can tell you though that I was never raised to believe the awful things associated with the troops back then.

It always feels awkward to me to say "Thank you for your service" to a vet as a non sequitur but whenever I can work it into the conversation I do. To all of you who sacrificed so much for our country I thank you.

Well here it is, 10 after 10 PM, and again, I am too late for "thank a Vietnam Veteran Day".

I didn't know that I could have gone out today and got thank you's from people who recognized me as a vet.

Well, like in 1968, no one came up to me today or called and said thanks. And that is just as well. It feels phony most of the time. I have to admit a young woman in North Attleboro recently thanked me for my service, while mentioning she was burying her own brother around the same time. Those are the ones who thank us. The ones who had family or friends in the service. Everyone else was at woodstock.

"Welcome Home Bill!"[rofl][rofl][rofl]

...because I was never a hero...... I just did my duty.
Makes you a hero to some of us.
I knew heroes in Vietnam, I witnessed their actions, and often saw them die for their heroics. And I feel tremendous guilt because I survived and they didn't.
Every time I thank a vet for their service, I'm always thinking at that moment, about those no longer here, whom I can't thank - who died for me. And it hurts like hell. I understand (as best I can) the difference, but I still mean it when I show gratitude to vets. Silently inside, I'm also thanking those that aren't here.
I haven't a clue how great your sacrifice was, but... That you went is enough for me. I honor your service and your sacrifice regardless of how anyone feels about it, even you.
Truth.

I'm also too young to have been relevant back then, and I'm not sure "welcome home" fits. But I greatly appreciate those who go or went off to war for me, so I'll just say: Thank you.

Sky, your post touches on many of the feelings I have. I, like others, had a quiet, individual return home. No celebrations. The only welcome was from the people that mattered the most - my family. When someone gives me a "welcome home," I quietly thank them, but too often find myself listening closely, suspicious and unsure of their motive. I want to see the best in folks, but sometimes it's hard. I'm done.

Thank you for the recognition.

Saying all that on Vietnam Veterans recognition day, makes we wonder when the shift in attitude changed to what it is today. Today's young men and women who serve are at least getting a little positive attention for their service. I could not be happier for them or more proud of those who serve. I've mentored several young men over the years who have and are serving their country. Another sense of pride for these guys. I just hope the military doesn't over extend any more than it is now. Several of these men have done at least two Iraq tours and one Afghanistan tour. It's a lot to ask of anyone, even a volunteer.

Dustoff, Hubby and I saw the tide turn right after the Beirut Bombing. We were coming home back to the states showed our military ID's at the airport waiting to go though customs and we were Welcomed Home then. Shocked us, and the fastest we had ever gone through customs.
I can tell you before that I got nasty looks when I was in uniform.

Last edited:
I do make a point to Thank ALL Veterans,past and present for their service. We run into alot when we do military vehicle events or cruise night.

Oh and Welcome Home to ALL of you.

I think that we, of the Vietnam generation, who were treated so badly when we wore the uniform, are primarily responsible for the turn around.

I know that I have always tried to reach out and thank any vet or active duty guy I see just so they won't be treated like we were.

Remember that it's our kids and grand kids who served and are serving now, and I sure as hell don't want them treated like we were.

Probably having grown up with VietNam and seeing and hearing how you guys were treated is why I make sure these guys know that they are appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom