• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maps

We buy the DeLorme state gazettes.

If you are camp or vehicle based they are fantastic. Because of cost they deserve a nice case, which also isn't cheap or inexpensive.

Example:
Atlas Map Case - Adventure Tool Company
AMap2a_04231206.jpg

Cell phones no longer "active" CAN be used to dial 911 (and also I think Customer Service for the nominal carrier, I *think*).

My use though is as a info store of "how to" procedures. And entertainment. The rf bag is just in case it is "that" sort of event.

Border Patrol, you can freely purchase a ham radio, you just can't legally USE it until you get licensed. It isn't all that hard to get licensed. There are threads on this site walking you through it. A good, VERY inexpensive handheld is the Baofeng UV-5R (About $25 on Amazon - use the comm2a link!). It isn't the BEST radio out there but the price is right and it's great to learn with.

Hey - do you have a rec. for a digital scanner? Lots of LEO have switched over to P25.

Cell phones no longer "active" CAN be used to dial 911 (and also I think Customer Service for the nominal carrier, I *think*).

My use though is as a info store of "how to" procedures. And entertainment. The rf bag is just in case it is "that" sort of event.

Border Patrol, you can freely purchase a ham radio, you just can't legally USE it until you get licensed. It isn't all that hard to get licensed. There are threads on this site walking you through it. A good, VERY inexpensive handheld is the Baofeng UV-5R (About $25 on Amazon - use the comm2a link!). It isn't the BEST radio out there but the price is right and it's great to learn with.

Thanks Kevin.

Absolutely paper cash. There are any number of likely scenarios where you'll need cash, think Puerto Rico. You could probably have used silver in Puerto Rico but cash worked fine.

I'd be willing to bet for at least a month, people will laugh at you if you tried to buy stuff with silver coins (other than face value). Even in a TEOTWAWKI situation.

I'd be willing to bet for at least a month, people will laugh at you if you tried to buy stuff with silver coins (other than face value). Even in a TEOTWAWKI situation.

A lot would, remember that video of people picking the chocolate bar over the silver bar. But in Puerto Rico the pawn shops and gold buying shops were swamped by people trading PMs for precious cash.

A lot would, remember that video of people picking the chocolate bar over the silver bar. But in Puerto Rico the pawn shops and gold buying shops were swamped by people trading PMs for precious cash.

Trading pms for cash is what I'm talking about. If you are trading gold/silver for cash, it's not working as 'intended' to work. The person with the paper money has the power in the exchange.

It would take a while in an emergency for people to start trading direct for PM's. It's just not in our DNA anymore.

The difference is, you built it. You know how to fix it. Me buying that fancy dancy charger (or anything else) and not knowing how to fix it is a completely different story. This is the 'survival' channel after all.

True. Plus it'll probably be better.

Trading pms for cash is what I'm talking about. If you are trading gold/silver for cash, it's not working as 'intended' to work. The person with the paper money has the power in the exchange.

It would take a while in an emergency for people to start trading direct for PM's. It's just not in our DNA anymore.

Maybe but the way I look at it... The person with the stuff I would probably need in a true SHTF scenario would probably understand/see the value in PMs

Maybe but the way I look at it... The person with the stuff I would probably need in a true SHTF scenario would probably understand/see the value in PMs

I'm not necessarily arguing with you. I have some silver stashed away because gold is too rich for my blood. I'm just saying, unless it's a national level event, I also have about 1k in cash in a safe, in my house. I'd burn through the cash then try to barter direct for gas/food/TP as I need it with the silver. I'd also be willing to trade food for non-food items. Diversity is the name of the game in my little 'world' when it comes to prepping.

I'm also realistic, the chances of me being Rick/Negan or a zombie do not work out in my favor given the odds of movie realism.

Back
Top Bottom