Detailed maps?

je25ff

NES Member
I'm trying to find a road map + topographical map of the northeast and can't seem to find anything on Amazon. The ideal map would be a laminated one or a set of laminated maps with roads and even elevations. Does anyone have maps they can recommend?

I'm trying to find a road map + topographical map of the northeast and can't seem to find anything on Amazon. The ideal map would be a laminated one or a set of laminated maps with roads and even elevations. Does anyone have maps they can recommend?
What kind of area coverage and what level of detail are you looking for?

I used to buy topo sets from REI or one of their competitors, not sure if they still sell these, now that Google maps has free topographical data (but only at specific zoom levels).

There's a website I use which will custom produce prints from topographic data for a specific area, on your choice of paper or poster, I think they just work from the same USGS data as everybody else.

Last edited:
Suggest you look into the DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer series. They come in separate volumes for each state. The pages are basically topo sheets with all the normal detail for elevation, contour intervals, lat-long, grid, etc. plus roads and a lot more information on recreation, fishing, hunting. Orientation is true North South. I do not believe they show isogonic lines (magnetic variation) but that can be looked up elsewhere easily enough. They are an absolute treasure trove of information! You can probably find similar information on their electronic maps but I like having the hard copy versions to thumb through quickly. You can find them in almost any bookstore for about $20 per state. I can't speak highly enough of them. I make them my constant companion where ever I go whether it's driving or hiking.

There used to be a sealer/laminator that was brushed on from a bottle for sale at the outdoor shows years ago. Not sure of the name but it worked well.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Good advice. Thanks, guys. Just looking for something durable that has roads and topographical info. I'll check your suggestions out.

Delorme is the way to go. I have them for all New ENgland and New York. Enough detail to get just about everywhere and topo/roads.

Back
Top Bottom