• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Manchin-Toomey deal could allow gun owners, sellers to carry, sell across state lines

Reptile

NES Member
The deal between Sens. Joe Manchin and Pat Toomey on the gun-controlled legislation scheduled for formal Senate debate next week could make it easier to carry concealed weapons across state lines.

The provision is part of the deal Manchin, D-W.V., and Toomey, R-Pa., reached earlier this week on background checks for gun buyers and will be among the first parts of the legislation that senators will consider.

The provision is similar to the Interstate Commerce Reform Act of 2012, which was sponsored by two Republicans -- Rep. Steve Scalise, Louisiana, and Sen. Orrin Hatch, Utah. The legislation failed despite strong support from the National Rifle Association.

The proposal essentially grants states "reciprocity" regarding concealed carry provisions.

Read more: Manchin-Toomey deal could allow gun owners, sellers to carry, sell across state lines | Fox News

----

Is this the sort of compromise that could get gun owners to support the bill?

Manchin-Toomey deal could allow gun owners, sellers to carry, sell across state

What the point of doing a background check in states like mass my ltc if revoked etc a cop should have to come take it and my guns any way right :)

Do they got the kart about buying handguns out of state is ok now ?

Until I get a full run down on the bill - I'll assume it's like 0bama-Care "We'll have to pass the bill to find out what's in it". The more we find out the more it sucks. I do like the reciprocity, this should be a no brainer - I'll carry in NY and send Bloomberg and Cuomo pics !!!!!

And btw - because this give Gun Owners anything more than a kick in the coin-purse, it's not going anywhere.

Last edited:
And btw - because this give Gun Owners anything more than a kick in the coin-purse, it's not going anywhere.

It would be amusing if Democrats voted against this bill because it had something good for us.

NY Senators should be up in arms.

Remember, it SHOULD be a compromise.

Reciprocity could be a poison pill that Democrats can not stomach.

This would put all MA gun dealers out of business. Who the hell would buy here from the stupid AG's list when they could go to free NH and get whatever the f*ck they wanted...
Read more: Manchin-Toomey deal could allow gun owners, sellers to carry, sell across state lines | Fox News

Putting MA dealers out of business might not happen because it says the bill, if adopted, could trump state laws, as follows: "Though many states have laws on buying firearms and concealed-carry permits, the federal provision, if adopted, could trump state laws." As usual with politicians, the devil is in the details, and the MA AG's regulations are not law. Are gun owners on board with another compromise of our rights if it works out to "national reciprocity" with universal background checks? Stay tuned...

I do like the reciprocity, this should be a no brainer - I'll carry in NY and send Bloomberg and Cuomo pics !!!!!

Yeah, if it prevents one from spending $100 +/- in each state for a non-res permit!??!

Interesting turn of events. Get some lose some. Still not sure it's worth it.

It won't be. The states that are problems right now will all completely ignore it. Unless the bill makes it a federal felony for LEOs in the commie states to violate it (which will be extremely doubtful) the law will have no teeth and we will gain NOTHING.

-Mike

They should pass a bill mandating "Universal Background Checks™" and federal carry permit reciprocity. So I can just ignore the "Universal Background Checks™" and carry everywhere [smile]

It won't be. The states that are problems right now will all completely ignore it. Unless the bill makes it a federal felony for LEOs in the commie states to violate it (which will be extremely doubtful) the law will have no teeth and we will gain NOTHING.

-Mike

The most likely upsides would be:
- senators from commie states wouldn't vote for it because of the poison pill.
- if it passed, MA inmates could carry in NH without paying for a permit.
- lawsuits would have some solid footing.

I'm not holding my breath on this being true anyway.

Seems to good to be true. Would be nice though

The cat is out of the bag.

Gun owners will now be demanding that we get something out of this.

I think this reciprocity idea will not go away.

Last edited:
The proposal essentially grants states "reciprocity" regarding concealed carry provisions.

Grant is a poor choice of a word. States are already free to grant reciprocity to whatever state they fell like - it just that many do not.

I think the word that should have been used is "force" and I have a problem whenever the federal government forces anything.

This is just another ploy. Remember, their ultimate goal is complete confiscation. Tell Manchin and Toomey to go eat a dick.

Last edited:
I doubt that people in Texas and Wyoming and the Dakotas give a damn about national reciprocity. Their permits are good everywhere and they live in states where it's a month long drive to the border. They don't live in the same world as New England.

/exaggeration off

Quiet, Man your avatar is creepy... lol

I doubt that people in Texas and Wyoming and the Dakotas give a damn about national reciprocity. Their permits are good everywhere and they live in states where it's a month long drive to the border. They don't live in the same world as New England.

/exaggeration off

This is a bad deal. Don't think for a minute that .gov would do anything to help gun owners

If they suck us in to supporting this what are the odds the reciprocity piece is repealed shortly after or the states dispute it? Don't trust these scumbags, we shouldn't give an inch. Once you compromise and give an inch you'll never get it back.

Manchin-Toomey deal could allow gun owners, sellers to carry, sell across state

Reciprocity might be handled like LEOSA was at first...where states like NY & NJ ignored it until forced by the courts. If the reciprocity is an "affirmative defense" to concealed carry by a law abiding citizen with a valid LTC/CCW it'll just be a matter of time before it is tested in the courts, and we will know if we can actually carry in places like NYC without the fear of arrest.

If it looks like a tasty red Apple, don't bite it. It will not work out in our favor.

Dismantle the absurd collection of gun control laws we have, not add more!

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

Couldn't agree more

Not sure why so many people are trying to find a bright spot in a further infringement of each of our rights when we should be pushing these turds to repeal ALL of the unconstitutional laws on the books......that includes the '68 GCA, Laughtenburgh Ammendment and the GFSZA amongst others

Leave it to politicians to try to come up with a "solution" to a problem that was created by government over reach in the first place.

Last edited:
I don't trust them, either.

It would probably end up with federal guidelines as to who can carry , if not an outright federal CCW permit system.

I'd rather deal with my CoP than the ATF.

Give the Feds power to regulate handgun carry rules and they'll start to change them. No autos no "cop killer bullet" guns , no permit without an ATF employed psychologist approving.

Somebody supporting this bill in DC is clever. No way this bill will pass allowing concealed carry reciprocity and interstate gun sales. But the gun grabbers will get to vote yes and the pro gun folks no. Everyone gets a chance to play their role.

Highly doubtful anything that passes is going to be in our favor. Sort of like holding out the apple with one hand and hiding the club behind the back with the other.
The only hope we have is a major house cleaning in 2014 and 2016 that they will remember for decades.
That includes the Rino's as well. Let em feel the pain.

Back
Top Bottom