• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Man Planned Shootings In Concord Restaurants, Police Say

http://www.wmur.com/news/22646510/detail.html

CONCORD, N.H. -- A Wentworth man is facing charges after police said he stole a car and planned to shoot patrons in Concord restaurants and then kill himself in the street.

22646486_240X180.jpg

[David McLaughlin]
Concord Police Department

Police said on Monday David McLaughlin, 24, stole his parents' car and drove to Concord, where he parked it in the middle of North State Street and went in to the Barley House. Police said he ordered food and drinks and got up to leave without paying the bill. When staff said they would call police on him, McLaughlin said, "go ahead" and left through the back door.

Barley House staff then called police, who later found McLaughlin on Depot Street. When an officer got out of his cruiser, McLaughlin reached into his pocket and told the officer he had a gun, according to police. The officer ordered him to stop and was able to remove the 9mm with a round in the chamber and 14 more rounds in the weapon.

When the officer asked McLaughlin what he was doing, he told him that he had planned on shooting as many people as possible in the Barley House before taking his own life in the street. He told the officer that the layout wasn't right in the Barley House so he headed to Margaritas.

McLaughlin told police that he planned to kill as many people as he could at Margaritas, take an employee hostage and drink enough alcohol to gain the courage to kill himself.

McLaughlin was charged with receiving stolen property and being a felon in possession of a weapon. He was held on $500,000 cash bail. At arraignment Tuesday, prosecutors called him dangerous and asked a judge to keep him in jail because the state hospital wasn't secure enough.

Police said McLaughlin was in both the Army and the Marines.
Tell Us More: E-mail WMUR your tips and story ideas.

Copyright 2010 by WMUR. All rights reserved.
Wow, what was this guy on.
He drove down from Wentworth which is an hour away (above Plymouth on NH25) and then parked in the middle of N. State St which is at least one block away from the Barley House. Leaves there, and heads towards Margaritas for a shooting spree. WTF!!!
I am waiting to hear the rest of the story on this one... C'mon Paul Harvey!!! Someone get that mic wired to his casket...[smile]

Someone seems to know him:
I have known David since grade school, I am from Wentworth. I was not close to him and I don't know what has happed to him in his personal life during the last 5-6 years...but I can tell you this is not something you would expect from him. I think this was a cry for help.....I think that if he was going to really do it he would have done it at the first place, regardless of the layout. I don't often pray to/invoke/say God...but i am glad for whatever force intervened to make him decided not to shoot that cop and instead admit what he planed to do. To all of you who say 'throw away the key' and 'lock up this sick guy'....yeah your right he is sick...as in he has a sickness...none of you who say that can understand what it is like to be absolutely out of your mind depressed and have no one to turn to, you do start to think crazy things....ask yourself if this was one of your friends or brothers that had this kind of break down... would you say 'throw away the key'?...maybe he does need help and some charity...despite what he said he was going to do..he didn't and he had the opportunity...I obviously do not condone his actions...I am absolutely sick to my stomach mortified by it...but try to have some humanity before you dam a lost soul to the flames...under certain life circumstances...this could be you...

Feb. 23, 2010 10:48pm EST | from Phantasmagoric

Last edited:
I haven't read through all of the comments on the Monitors site, but I bet someone will be screaming for more gun laws which didn't make a dick of difference in this case.

Concord?
Not to worry, Doobie would have taken him out before getting off the second shot.

Maybe not Doobie, but somebody. I work in Concord and I can tell people are carrying all the time. If he really wanted to pull that kind of crap a city in NH was a poor choice.

Stories like this just reinforce the fact that if you have a LTC you need to carry 24/7, you never know when you will be out to eat with your wife and kids, visiting grandma at the nursing home or at the movies when your faced with an active shooter situation. Although this guy didnt get up the liquid courage YET,it seems like he was planning on taking out alot of innocent people instead of just ending it like a man if that was his goal. The facts show most active shooters will kill and then take themselves out long before the PD has a chance to even get to the scene, you need to be prepared to engage these nuts if you find yourself anywhere near them and can safely do so, im not waiting for the cavalry if Mucko is shooting up the restaurant im in. Your not doing anyone any good if you left your ccw in your lockbox that day.

I totally see this guy being like this.

MMMAAAAAAAAA........MEATLOAF!!

Minus the hot girl and maybe some WOW.

Last edited by a moderator:
He has "WINNER" written all over him. I say give him the chance to off himself and spare everyone else the pain and sorrow. The crows will scavenge his corpse at the dump and save his family some cash.

He has "WINNER" written all over him. I say give him the chance to off himself and spare everyone else the pain and sorrow. The crows will scavenge his corpse at the dump and save his family some cash.
And a lot of taxpayer money. hahaha

Seriously, I am betting he isn't mentally stable. I am glad there was a professional cop handling this situation, I know of a Concord cop that doesn't represent the city very well, and I wouldn't want him anywhere near this scene.

My son and I like to go to the Barley house now and then for a Dublin burger.If he screwed that up for us we would shoot him on general principal.

Already the "no one should have guns" crowd is in high gear on the Concord Monitor website comments section.I laid out some facts ,but of course the response is I get my facts from the NRA ,as though every gun owner is a shill for NRA and can't think for themselves.

Already the "no one should have guns" crowd is in high gear on the Concord Monitor website comments section.I laid out some facts ,but of course the response is I get my facts from the NRA ,as though every gun owner is a shill for NRA and can't think for themselves.

I would argue the other way.....if he had gone postal and several people were armed.....problem solved!

Harry Reid says men become violent when the economy turns bad. I think men should be locked up until the Obamcovery is in full swing.

At least take their guns away.

It's for the children.

Oh, this guy is a dipshit. Men are abusive because they are out of work? Maybe that's a relationship stressor but the abusiveness exists prior to the stressors that release it. And check out the women are always virtuous tenor. Apparently in his world, women can't be abusive. That's a bias that the judicial system perpetuates every day too. [banghead]

Back
Top Bottom