Maine Non Resident question

BattleSnail

Banned
Hoping someone has the answer here....I live in MA and had a Maine non resident license that I let lapse maybe 2 years ago...I'd like to renew it.

It's clear enough from the application that if your license expired more than 6 months ago you're considered a new applicant...

...but do I really have to re-take a NRA gun safety class? I originally took the class 7 or 8 years ago.

A copy of a certificate which has been
issued within the past 5 years
that shows Proof of Knowledge of
Handgun Safety (HGS).

I think you might be stuck getting a new cert, but give them a call. My ME app is pending and I needed to follow-up with them regarding my app and the lady I spoke with was very helpful.

Yes... as you said the law is clear. If you were in the military, I think they will take something from that as well. If not in the military, then the course needs to be not more than 5 years. It sucks but that is the way it is.

If you don't renew within 60 days of your license expiration date, you are considered a NEW applicant which means you must submit a new copy of birth certificate and safety course certificate dated within 5 years. I verified this by phone a couple days ago before I sent my renewal in.

One nice thing about NRA instructor certification is that you need to renew it, which means updated credentials every few years. This means you will always have a relatively recent "safety course certification", since most states that do not have a statute requiring a state-specific class (like MA does) will accept NRA instructor credentials.

If you take your class at Mass Firearms School, they offer a refresher course for free for things just like this. I am glad I took mine there with my wife. I do not work for them and am not in any way affiliated with them, just pointing out the fact that if you might let it lapse again in the future, this would be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom