MA Storage question

If you're concerned read the mass laws. A dedicated room is compliant. You are not required to own a safe. You can have guns stored not in a safe just with trigger locks as wekl

Really? Then why does it apply to people who don't have children? And why have people been prosecuted for failure to properly store firearms that were stolen by criminals?

I have a buddy on the south shore who had a gun stolen from his vehicle and nothing happened to him criminally.

Honest non troll question, can someone cite a case where guns were locked and they got prosecuted? My sisters buddies cousin accounts not included

I have a buddy on the south shore who had a gun stolen from his vehicle and nothing happened to him criminally.

Honest non troll question, can someone cite a case where guns were locked and they got prosecuted? My sisters buddies cousin accounts not included

Comm v. Parzick just off the top of my head. Also the guy who had his Glock locked up in it's original tupperware is another (sorry, can't remember his name. He was convicted then the conviction was later overturned on appeal but it likely still cost him thousands.)

Then there's at least one case in Malden where the guy wasn't prosecuted but he was hit with the "suitability" hammer. Darius (RIP) posted about it on here back in the day.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're concerned read the mass laws. A dedicated room is compliant. You are not required to own a safe. You can have guns stored not in a safe just with trigger locks as wekl

Please post a cite. I've read them and I don't see that in there anywhere.

Woah this thread is getting a little out of hand. To the guy who said he could leave his gun with a trigger lock on it on the couch. Yes that is legal. This has been proven in court. I'll find the case later since I just got to work. Long story short, the DA went after a guy who either had his guns stolen or the police found where he stored them. They were locked up according to the law... Outside in the backyard in an Igloo container. The DA was all over him for basically gift wrapping the guns up for criminals and the guy won and created case law that it met the storage requirements.

You are correct.

A room is not considered a locked container. I'm sure someone will find the case where this was proven. I'm too lazy to find it.

The Lowell clusterf%$# is an opportunity to make a victim into a criminal because the Lowell Police chief thinks his residents are subjects not citizens.

You're probably thinking of Comm v. Parzick, which I don't think was very definitive. (You'll note that in that case had more to do with the cheesy lock that he used.)

Appeals Court clarifies gun storage law | Massachusetts Police Legal News

Basically clarifies the Either/Or which also confirms the safe room being legal. Locked in a secure location OR secured via a lock.

You'll note that in that case the firearm wasn't actually stolen and there was no unauthorized access, if there had been I think it would have turned out very differently. (And even without the unauthorized access, which 131L hinges on, he was still tried and convicted by a jury. The conviction was eventually overturned on appeal but how much did that cost and how lucky did he get?)

Also see Comm v. Parzick - guns were stolen, the court decided that they didn't like the lock that was used, guy was convicted. No appeal.

Last edited:
Tell that to the people who have followed the law by reporting stolen firearms and subsequently been found "unsuitable" by their local Chieftain.

Cite?
The main reason why I stayed with the "shall issue" FID (got my first one in January, 1979). Don't ever want to deal with the "suitability" crap.

You are correct.

A room is not considered a locked container. I'm sure someone will find the case where this was proven. I'm too lazy to find it.

The Lowell clusterf%$# is an opportunity to make a victim into a criminal because the Lowell Police chief thinks his residents are subjects not citizens.
An attorney that I know has a walk-in, fireproof vault made of concrete block an a reinforced steel door frame with what looks like a huge safe door (active locking bolts and a Sargent & Greenleaf combination lock. He keeps his client's records in it because of state and federal retention laws. Do not know if he keeps any firearms in it, but I am sure that it would hold a lot. Such a vault should certainly cover the secure storage requirements in MA, but after that case in Lowell, I guess anything is prone to legal challenge.

Back
Top Bottom