MA Senate Bill 2235 Draft - Banning carry of loaded firearms on Snomobiles & ATV's

I am not sure if anyone else has posted about this but there is a draft bill in Massachusetts that addresses lots of OHRV (Off Highway Vehicles) issues.

I was reading it and noticed that section 247 say that:

No one may carry a Firearm, rifle or Shotgun unless it is unloaded and in a case.

I believe the mass laws were previously somewhat vague about this. This is very specific, and it means we can not carry a firearm in the woods when riding an my ATV, dirtbike or Snowmobile alone with my kids.

Here is the Draft Article PDF

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/186/st02pdf/st02235.pdf

This is very concerning. I am not sure how to officially complain about this, or if people Like goal know about this?

Last edited:
This would be one of the many times where you would want to carry. If your deep in the woods who the hell knows whats going on out there....

This would be one of the many times where you would want to carry. If your deep in the woods who the hell knows whats going on out there....

But, but, but someone might poach a deer. You know a animal's life is Waaaaaaaaay more important than a human life.

But, but, but someone might poach a deer. You know a animal's life is Waaaaaaaaay more important than a human life.

If poaching is what this bill is meant to stop, you would think that finding someone pulling a carcass out of the woods would be high on their list of things they would be looking for.

If poaching is what this bill is meant to stop, you would think that finding someone pulling a carcass out of the woods would be high on their list of things they would be looking for.

We both know it's not, but they will use it as one of the "reasons" for the bill.

I am not sure if anyone else has posted about this but there is a draft bill in Massachusetts that addresses lots of OHRV (Off Highway Vehicles) issues.

I was reading it and noticed that section 247 say that:

No one may carry a Firearm, rifle or Shotgun unless it is unloaded and in a case.

I believe the mass laws were previously somewhat vague about this. This is very specific, and it means we can not carry a firearm in the woods when riding an my ATV, dirtbike or Snowmobile alone with my kids.

Here is the Draft Article PDF

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/186/st02pdf/st02235.pdf

This is very concerning. I am not sure how to officially complain about this, or if people Like goal know about this?

This is the complete section:
Section 25I. No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun in or on a snow vehicle or a
248 recreation vehicle or on a trailer or sled attached thereto unless such firearm, rifle or shotgun is
249 unloaded and in an enclosed case. This subsection shall not apply to a law enforcement officer
or other person authorized to carry arms as specifically described in
250 section 32, or a paraplegic
251 as provided in section 65 of chapter 131."

There is no section 32 in the document, any idea if this is the out where you have an LTC (ie an authorized person)?

This state and it's stupid laws just may cause my head to explode! Christ, you want a gun in the woods just in case....it's almost like not allowing guns to the Randolph Cinema LOL (cross thread joke)

Last edited:
There is no section 32 in the document, any idea if this is the out where you have an LTC (ie an authorized person)?

Even if there is an exemption in the law this still creates a possibility of someone possibly being wrongly arrested. Often times a given LEO might understand the bulk of the law but not the nuances.

-Mike

There has got to be something behind this. It's just such an "out there" kind of thing to slip into the bill.

I see the whole bill as "out there" where did it come from. It is 110% nanny state.
If any of my elected officials vote for this, I will vote against them and encourage everyone I know to do the same.

I see the whole bill as "out there" where did it come from. It is 110% nanny state.
If any of my elected officials vote for this, I will vote against them and encourage everyone I know to do the same.

I didn't read the whole thing, but in scanning it, I see they are proposing some nice new cushy jobs as part of this. Uhm, didn't we just lay off/fire a bunch of people and now they want to create new positions?

It appears as though they are building a book full of rules and regulations for ATV's. I found some information on the web site showing the original S 2235 now rolled into 2251. S-2251 is getting it's 3rd reading. It has to do with "safety" regulations for ATV's. And as someone pointed out, lots of jobs. I noticed they are inviting all sorts of people to be on the commission except of course, people from the gun community, a.k.a. hunters. IIRC, basic hunting safety states that you keep your "rifle"unloaded and cased while riding an ATV.
It seems to me that you should be able to carry your loaded pistol/revolver in your holster if you have a LTC- Restrictions:None. I'm not sure how it would play out if your license has Sporting-Target. This new bill does not specifically address that. The wording of this proposed bill, like so many before it, places the law-abiding citizen in a "legal questions quandry."
Best regards.

where do i make my feelings known. im new to this standing up for my rights thing. i live in essex county thanks bill

Your state continues to amaze. Who comes up with this crap? Is there anyone with any common sense there? When are you people going to get rid of those a-holes that come up with crap like this?

Hey I will be there and I know there was a post that told which room it was in but I could not find it. Any link?

According to the Goal.org web site, 2259 is scheduled to be heard in room A-1 on Wednesday at 11.
The proposed bill posted here s-2251 is a different assault on gun owners.
If you can get to this scheduled hearing for S-2259 it will be worth the trip.
Best Regards.

Back
Top Bottom