MA resident purchasing a pistol in NH

Not a straw purchase. See the 4473:

Question 11.a. Actual Transferee/Buyer: For purposes of this form, you are the actual transferee/buyer if you are purchasing the firearm for yourself or otherwise acquiring the firearm for yourself (e.g., redeeming the firearm from pawn/retrieving it from consignment, firearm raffle winner). You are also the actual transferee/buyer if you are legitimately purchasing the firearm as a gift for a third party.

If it is a present for her, you are okay to buy it. If she asks you to go pick up a gun because she can't make it to the store and gives you the money to buy it, that's a straw purchase.

Same end result, totally different reaction from the Feds. [wink]

Pretty insane how same result ends up as prison time if caught lol,

Interesting, I'll have to look into the NH non drivers ID. I probably should have mentioned this before but I do not own the property up in NH, my parents do and I live with them. I'm assuming that to show proof of residency, I can't use a property tax bill or something of that nature with their name on it. Regardless, if I do manage to get an NH non driver's ID card, can I legally transport a non MA compliant pistol back to MA and use it?

Interesting, I'll have to look into the NH non drivers ID. I probably should have mentioned this before but I do not own the property up in NH, my parents do and I live with them. I'm assuming that to show proof of residency, I can't use a property tax bill or something of that nature with their name on it. Regardless, if I do manage to get an NH non driver's ID card, can I legally transport a non MA compliant pistol back to MA and use it?

You have an LTC-A. Check.
Not buying from a MA FFL (only affects what an FFL can sell, not what you can possess). Check.

Provided you (while in MA) are not in possession of any post ban standard cap mags, you should be good to go.

DISCLAIMER: IANAL, YMMV, concealed means concealed, and as always, never talk to the police

All grammatical, spelling, and informational errors are solely the fault of Tapatalk and Autocorrect. Pay no attention to the pyramid of empty beer cans/bottles.

I currently live in MA where I have a Class A Unrestricted license, and I also have a NH non-resident pistol/revolver license. I have a second home up in NH where my family and I go year round. For whatever reason, Ruger Mark III's are no longer available in MA. Is it legal to have a NH resident that I know purchase a Mark III in-state and then privately sell it to me?

MK IIIs ARE on the EOPS List and perfectly legal for a MA Dealer to transfer. Some MA Dealers are listening to Ruger telling them that they are non-compliant BUT as long as they are on the EOPS List it is legal for a Dealer to do the transfer, period! So find another dealer. [And yes, I do know the back story to this and Ruger was told by the GCAB that their request to remove the guns from the EOPS List was wrong and they were not going to do it.]

Having someone buy a gun with the specific intent to transfer it (other than a GIFT, NO money passes between the parties) to another person is a Federal offense. Read up on "straw purchase".

If a person is a legal resident of NH, they can buy it up there legally and bring it into MA (NMT 10 rd mags unless pre-ban). Fed Law allows dual residency. What you need to do to convince a NH FFL is strictly between the FFL and yourself. If you aren't considered a NH Resident and do as you propose, you and your friend will both have committed a Federal Felony and could be sent to federal prison for it.

Yes, you need a much better understanding of the laws. And I cover these things in my MA Gun Law seminars (see link below for details).

Back
Top Bottom