MA Non-Resident LTC License Change - Interviews are now every 6 years

NHCraigT

NES Member
I know there was some discussions about this previously on the NES Forum (that changes were coming), but I do not know if there has been any recent discussion or update, on the following Major MA Non-Res LTC policy change:

Specifically: Effective 01/01/17 - MA Non-Res Licenses are still issued yearly (annual expiration, and now can be done via mail-in), ALSO - the interviews (in Chelsea) are now 1x every 6 years.

Again = Renewals in between that 6 year time frame can now be done by mail.

More specifics and details here:

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/non-resident-application-revised-05-19-15.pdf

Last edited:
Great...

except the yearly high fee .

Yes, the fee is a lot to pay every year.

The way I look at it is; In a restrictive state like MA, its a wonder that even some Non-Res people can obtain an LTC, when it can be difficult in many MA for many MA residents to obtain one......
(But that's just MHO)

Last edited:
Great...

except the yearly high fee .
You have three choices
1 leave the firearm at home when you travel to Massachusetts
2 carry a firearm without a non resident ltc, run the risk of getting caught and face the consequences
3 pay the 100 per year and realize that it's actually short money for legal protection.

What will the turnaround time be on the license renewal? My initial application took 6+months to process after the interview.

What will the turnaround time be on the license renewal? My initial application took 6+months to process after the interview.

I'm going to contact FRB in the near future for that information and their recommendations. I will pass them along in this thread/another at that time[grin]

What about an unrestricted non-res LTC? Does such a thing even exist?

Sure does, got one in my wallet. There are other threads regarding the actual process and suggestions on how to get unrestricted.

should be the same 6 year renewal as resident. the increased number of applicants should easily cover the revenue, maybe more.

no facts to back this up, but sounds reasonable to me

Last edited:
should be the same 6 year renewal as resident. the increased number of applicants should easily cover the revenue, maybe more.

True, however, the current change only required an administrative policy update.

Changing the term of expiration involves convincing the legislature to make is less expensive for non-residents to carry guns in MA. The annual fee is like a hotel or rental car tax - very attractive because the people who pay for it cannot vote for the reps that impose the fee.

True, however, the current change only required an administrative policy update.

Changing the term of expiration involves convincing the legislature to make is less expensive for non-residents to carry guns in MA. The annual fee is like a hotel or rental car tax - very attractive because the people who pay for it cannot vote for the reps that impose the fee.

That's why New Hampshire upped their non-resident license fee (back when) and made sure not to touch resident license fees. Of course, a few years ago, when Connecticut had a budget crunch they went through virtually every form of license conceivable (occupational, firearm, sporting, business related, etc...) and wholsale doubled them- without regard for voters.

My belief is that a major reason why the validity period is so short is to discourage people from actually seeking permits, to discourage the conduct of non-residents bringing firearms to the Commonwealth.

My belief is that a major reason why the validity period is so short is to discourage people from actually seeking permits, to discourage the conduct of non-residents bringing firearms to the Commonwealth.
The legislative term "temporary non-resident license to carry firearms" describes the original intent. "Way back when" before the great fee grab under Romney, the fee was $5.00 and there was no in person interview requirement.

The legislative term "temporary non-resident license to carry firearms" describes the original intent. "Way back when" before the great fee grab under Romney, the fee was $5.00 and there was no in person interview requirement.

I remember when the fee was $10, but the state police were difficult when trying to get one (before Wakefield shooting). When they started issuing without hassling people, the fee was $50 for a year. Then like you said, good old Mitt raised it to $100.

I guess if the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 passes I won't renew my Non-Res LTC in MA and keep my NH PRL active.

I guess if the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 passes I won't renew my Non-Res LTC in MA and keep my NH PRL active.

You should certainly do as you see fit, but I have absolutely 0.00% hope that Mass will honor it, other than as the result of a long and drawn out court battle, and even then they will try and insert enough regulatory inconveniences to make it suck.

Nuf said as I know there is a whole thread on the topic elsewhere.

I have to say I thought a bill to change the NR-LTC term to 6 years would be generated more buzz here on NES, along with the companion bill that would lower the resident LTC fee to $40.

If I currently hold a resident LTC, and move out of state do I now need to apply all over again for an out of state or do they "convert" them? Does this mean a trip to Boston to get an out of state too? The $100 a year is stupid, having to drive to Boston while I hold a res LTC is stupider.

You need to re-apply.

Lots of know it alls will tell you your resident is automatically void when you leave MA, however, none will be able to provide any authorative cite other than "some cop told me" or "I heard it from so and so".

Do not discard your old MA LTC, as an expired LTC provides important immunization from criminal conviction (carry on an expired LTC is a rarely prosecuted civil offense, not a criminal one)

When I fled MA, I notified all the correct places and no one expired or did anything with my resident LTC until I got my non-resident, so Rob's assertion may isn't wrong.

While the $100/yr is shitty, they did just change the process so you only have to go to Chelsea once every six years, would should make the entire process smoother/easier and probably a bit more timely.

Back
Top Bottom