MA LTC Renewal and license number question

I'm not sure if this belongs here or should go in the MA law section so mods please feel free to move if appropriate. I was talking with my brother in law today who just picked up his LTC-A renewal from his local PD. Upon inspection he recognised that his license number changed. Is this common practice? Do they update the registration database with his new number or are his guns registered to a license that no longer exists? It didn't make any sense to me why they would change his license number upon renewal - seems like more work for the state police. Does this happen with all renewals?

Firearms are not registered in Massachusetts.

LTC numbers will change with every renewal.

Then what is the FA-10 ? While some have found it inaccurate as to what firearms they have and what is in the data base, it is there none the less, with all kinds of information.

Having had a LTC for >30 years, every renewal the number has changed. Obviously there is no correlation with the number and the person/gun.

Best guess is that any search of the database would be by name, DOB and SSN (if dumb enough to provide it [thinking] ) or perhaps by DNA they get off the forms (j/k).

They (LTC and FA-10) are separate systems and obviously not designed to work well together. [rolleyes] But they do keep people employed.

Again if you look for logic in the systems, you will drive yourself insane and thus be deemed "unsuitable"! [wink]

Having had a LTC for >30 years, every renewal the number has changed. Obviously there is no correlation with the number and the person/gun.

Best guess is that any search of the database would be by name, DOB and SSN (if dumb enough to provide it [thinking] ) or perhaps by DNA they get off the forms (j/k).

They (LTC and FA-10) are separate systems and obviously not designed to work well together. [rolleyes] But they do keep people employed.

Again if you look for logic in the systems, you will drive yourself insane and thus be deemed "unsuitable"! [wink]

Haaa. Talk about a data management issue.

Thanks for the info guys.

if that isn't registration I don't know what is.
Having lived in a state with handgun registration, I do.

"Registration" is a system where every gun is required to be in the database, and it's a criminal offense to possess a firearm not currently registered to you. NY state has handgun registration.

The MA system of reporting is like "registration lite" - there are ways one can own a legal gun not in the system (for example, no FA-10 is requried when moving to MA from out of state), and MANY guns transferred before the new scan/online based system that were never transferred into the database.

Data doesn't ever die in this state, despite what they may tell you.

I don't know about dying (an interesting personification), but I believe that all "blue card" data was simply thrown out many years ago when GHQ moved from 1010 to Framingham.

Having lived in a state with handgun registration, I do.

"Registration" is a system where every gun is required to be in the database, and it's a criminal offense to possess a firearm not currently registered to you. NY state has handgun registration.

The MA system of reporting is like "registration lite" - there are ways one can own a legal gun not in the system (for example, no FA-10 is requried when moving to MA from out of state), and MANY guns transferred before the new scan/online based system that were never transferred into the database.

Not to be pedantic (who am I kidding?), but the difference is quite real, and those who understand land titles might find this analogy helpful:

In Massachusetts we have two land titling systems. On the "unregistered" side, the Registry of Deeds records evidence of certain transactions in land. It does not, however, purport to show who presently owns the land.

On the "registered" side, The Land Court determines who owns the land, and transfers may only be effected by notations on the original Certificate of Title.

While Brother Boudrie is correct in noting the distinction between the Massachusetts system and real "firearms registration," I wouldn't use the term "registration lite," because even "lite" the Massachusetts system does not purport to show who owns a firearm at the time of any record review. Rather, Massachusetts records evidence of certain transactions in firearms, and it is evidence of, and only of, the recorded transactions.

Last edited:
wouldn't use the term "registration lite,"
OK, "registration very very light" then :) :)

Thanks for explaining much more clearly than I did.

Now, if i were only possible to get allodial title to guns :)

I realize this has drifted quite far off from the OP's question, but since we're on the subject...

What exactly does the CHSB purport to actually do with all these FA-10's then?

What exactly does the CHSB purport to actually do with all these FA-10's then?
They are currently scanned and entered into a database which, despite being incomplete and less than fully accurate, is available to law enforcement.

They are currently scanned and entered into a database which, despite being incomplete and less than fully accurate, is available to law enforcement.

Do the police actually use them? It seems like all they really have are records of lawful transactions, so how does that fight crime?

Do the police actually use them? It seems like all they really have are records of lawful transactions, so how does that fight crime?
I don't know but I was in a small town station talking to a club member when the dispatcher called me up to check out my "list" which he had pulled up on his screen - and this was not a town in which I had ever lived or been issued an LTC, so it's a pretty decent indication the info is widely available. My suspicion is it's a shopping list when serving a 209A.

We'll work on that after we get "incorporation," OK?

Actually, there is a large amount of case law that will probably need to be reversed on a case by case basis if we get incorporation that probably need to be taken care of first.

Last edited:
As for the database yes, your new number is retroactively changed in the database. All of your licenses are viewable in the LE database. The number is provided by the CHSB and they are all linked together. On the application you will see a spot for your old #, and a spot for your new #. A LEO who requests a check of your new license # will show a list of all correctly entered transfers. The database has lots of errors, some due to typo's some due to incorrectly being filled out. For example all serial #'s are to be entered without spaces or dashes or special symbols. Only # and letters allowed. Some dealers or private sellers get stupid and enter -'s or spaces.

To Rob:
The database is available to any and all PD's in the state. As long as they have a real CJIS terminal. It will not be available on a MDT in the cruiser.

Last edited:
One concern I have about the numbers changing.....how does this effect your non-resident permits in other states? Do you then need to contact every state and update them with the new LTC number? Will they make you re-apply all over again?

Back
Top Bottom