MA LTC or Temporary??

Just when I thouht I mastered the English language, went ahead and tried to read the MA gun laws....

Here's the background:

I have a MA LTC class A which expires in February.

In November I am selling my house and moving in with my mother (also in MA - same town) temporarily.

In April I am moving from MA to FLA.

I expect to be back in MA for two or three weekends a month and wish to maintain my local gun club membership and continue to shoot with friends when here.

Here's the question:

What do I do about a LTC? I will renew my MA LTC for the time between February and April, certainly. But, do I keep MA LTC-A as a resident with my mother's address and also apply to the state FLA as a resident? Or, do I apply to FLA as a resident and MA as a temporary non-resident? Vice-versa?

Is the MA LTC automatically cancelled when I notify the CLEO in the town that I have moved out of state?

I suppose that with either a resident or non-resident temp license, I won't be able to bring my future-purchase H&K with a 15-round mag into the state.

Welcome to the forum!

MA gun laws (and probably all other MA laws) have no basis in any language nor any common sense!

Yes, if you notify your CLEO that you have moved out of state, your LTC becomes "null and void" and you'd have to apply for a Temporary NR LTC (as they are called) for $100/year. You go thru the app process all over again and it can easily take 3-6 months to issue.

As for keeping your Resident LTC with your Mother's address, I'll leave you to talk that one over with a firearms attorney (Darius or Jesse).

You can bring any handgun into MA, as long as the mags you bring with it are not No-Ban mags (providing you have a MA LTC). Rifles similarly, pre-ban or Post-ban rifles/mags OK, "No-Ban" rifle/mags are a felony!

Hope that answered some of your questions.

I guess the real question would be how you view the place in Florida. Is it your residence or just a local address while you are down there?

For example, I have a good friend who is currently working in California but his family lives in MA. He comes home one long weekend a month. I guess the job was worth the hassle for him. But, he is still a MA resident as far as everything is concenred.

I would certainly discuss the situation with someone who is familure with both state and federal gun laws.

The ideal situation would be one where you actually have "Dual Residency" and reside in both Florida and in Massachusetts at different times. But there are certain rules and such regarding that which I have no knowledge of.

Back
Top Bottom